Tie rods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Where is the best place to pick one up. I also need a new drag link. Should I go ahead and get new ends as well? Both are bent.

I always try to upgrade a part, if possible, when I need a replacement. I bent my tie rod wheeling my stock-ish 40 last summer, and upgraded to a much heavier one from Budbuilt out of North Carolina. I'm very impressed with the quality and the shear mass of it. Looks pretty well unbreakable. Here's the link. http://www.budbuilt.com/new/tierods.html

I just recently noticed Iron pig is selling something similar too. A little cheaper too Iron Pig Off Road : Toyota 4WD experts

I say...when in doubt.....replace the tie rod ends while you're at it. :meh:

I wonder if going with the Budbuilt will make other components weaker.

I wonder if going with the Budbuilt will make other components weaker.

Anytime you upgrade a part, it shifts your weak-link to something else. But you're still stronger overall than you started. The bigger tie rod/drag link isn't going to put any undue strain on your steerig gear that would'nt be there under extreme abuse anyway. If you're thrashing your truck....something's going to fail eventually anyway.

I can't see a stouter tie rod/ drag link as being anything other than a win-win.

Is your steering set-up stock? Was the steering tight? Do you do much wheeling with it? If it's just a Sunday driver, I suppose you'd be just as well off with a stock tie rod/ drag link.

Is your steering set-up stock? Was the steering tight? Do you do much wheeling with it? If it's just a Sunday driver, I suppose you'd be just as well off with a stock tie rod/ drag link.

I don't wheel it a lot. I plan to wheel more but I can't seem to get it out of the shop. One thing after another. It is a stock set up and I have a lot of play in the steering. Not sure if that is due to bent tie rod and drag link and needing new ends.

If you're steering was loose to begin with, definately get good quality replacement TRE's for starters. With five TRE's in the stock set-up, replacing with fresh tight one's can make a huge difference alone. Check to see if there's play in the manual steering gear box too. There is an adjustment screw on the engine side of the box that can tighten it up. [check w/factory specs] Also you can adjust the center arm to tighten play if it isn't too worn.....or it can be rebuilt pretty easily/inexspensively.

If you're interested in keeping the factory look,.... I don't feel the larger sized Budbuilt type tie rods look overly large or unnatural under the 40. They just look beefy. :cool: Plus, he will custom makes them to your specs. You can upgrade TRE's too if you want, to 1 tons/80 series etc I believe.

If you buy OEM Toyota tie rods they come with the drag link.

call that dude Rick at Ralph Hayes in the morning. He is great to get stuff from.

I got a drag link from Spector a couple years ago because I knew they had what I needed. I know they sell that stuff. They sell the aftermarket which supposedly is made by the original manufacturer that toyota got them from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom