'72 Factory Soft Top Project. "Power Wheels" (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I picked this up about two years ago with the idea that my late brother in law could use it as a platform to design and fit soft tops. I'm sure many of you are familiar with our efforts here on Mud. I planned to work on it from time to time when I came to visit. Sadly, his health didn't allow him to complete our project. I'd like to see his son get to drive it one of these days.

I'm playing this one by ear. I'm leaning towards a true restoration, but we'll see how it goes. I plan to do all the work myself, with the possible exception of blasting and paint. This promises to be a slow build with my budget, too many hobbies, and the wife expecting our third child in December. Got a feeling there will be times when she's not quite as supportive as usual.;)

I don't have any time frame in mind at all. Just gonna plug away at it as time and money allows, and enjoy it. I'll need to pick up a few tools, and skills along the way. This thread will be heavy on pics, and light on progress. :D

Anyway, here she is, more or less, as i found her. $650

72-1.jpg
72-1.jpg

Yeah, it's got its share of rust. But I think the good outweighs the bad. She's worth saving. The further I've gotten in to it, the more pleasantly surprised I've been. Thankfully, it did at least have an ancient Bestop softop and doors on it, so it wasn't sitting open like this as it sat outside for who knows how long.

The best part to me was how complete and unmolested it was. Just about every nut and bolt just like it came from the factory. Minus the bows and soft doors. (of course:rolleyes:) ...and the rear view mirror from a VW.

First order of business was to remove the Power Wheels grill and jeep sticker! MUCH better!

72-4.jpg
72-4.jpg

The rust on the bib scared me at first glance. Surprisingly, there's no rot in it at all. Just surface.

Looks like a nice rig for what you paid. First thing I would do is remove that Heep sticker off the back. Sorry to hear about your brother.

Sounds like a great cause, both for your family and to save a classic from the crusher. My first step would be to invest in a service manual, 4.5" angle grinder with a knoted cup brush, and a gallon of ospho. My 40 was in way worse shape than yours and she was resurected. The steel on the 72's is pretty stout. I'd bet alot of your rust issues are just surface rust. Good luck and welcome to the madness. BTW you got a great deal.:flipoff2:

Thats a nice starting rig, a lot of us go slow due to family, time and budget. Just passing through the garage and seeing mine even though still not drivable brings joy to me.

Sorry to here of your brother-in-laws passing.......

That looks like a good platform to start a build with. I'm sure the group here will be more than willing to help in any way we can.

Good luck and keep us updated:beer:

cool find

X2 good platform to start with...good thing you have the 78 to enjoy...this ones going to take some time :)

look foward to seeing updates

and love the 1st mod...removal of the power wheels grill LOL

passenger side fender looks to be a blend of two fenders...and the pick-up rims look good on it...
love the look of white rims...are you keeping them? you could put clips on them to hold the hubcaps

Sounds like a great cause, both for your family and to save a classic from the crusher. My first step would be to invest in a service manual, 4.5" angle grinder with a knoted cup brush, and a gallon of ospho. My 40 was in way worse shape than yours and she was resurected. The steel on the 72's is pretty stout. I'd bet alot of your rust issues are just surface rust. Good luck and welcome to the madness. BTW you got a great deal.:flipoff2:

Got the grinder and brush. I do need to pick a FSM for this. Not familiar with ospho.

You're right about the '72 steel. I've been shocked by what I'm Not finding when digging deeper. Definitely got some "issues". But I've got something up my sleeve that should help. ;)

Oh, I've been stricken with the madness for quite some time now! thanks:cheers:

...good thing you have the 78 to enjoy...this ones going to take some time :) Indeed.

and love the 1st mod...removal of the power wheels grill LOL Yes sir!

passenger side fender looks to be a blend of two fenders...and the pick-up rims look good on it...
love the look of white rims...are you keeping them? you could put clips on them to hold the hubcaps

I think you're seeing a drip line of sap on that finder. This thing was out sitting under a Cedar tree for quite some time. That stuff was on there like concrete.
I do like the white rims. :) I've always admired them on your rig. Yes on the clips. I dig hubcaps. I was tempted to steal them for the 78 since they're disk rims. I hate the rims I have on it now.

My initial thought was to really keep this stock, drums, riveted wheels and all. But, we'll see how she goes.

Good to "see" you Johnny! :cheers:

It's pretty much all there. Vader helmet, hinges, door strap eyes, jack etc. Held my breath opening the tool box. Not that lucky. No tool bag. Just a lot of mouse nest like everybody else. Oh well, you can't have it all. ;)

I've seen worse floors, that's for sure. :)
72-8.jpg 72-7.jpg 72-9.jpg
72-8.jpg
72-7.jpg
72-9.jpg

Yup. All there.

72-10.jpg

:hmm:..What's going on here? I don't like seeing Lucas on anything I own. :ban:

Same Lucas I'm thinking of? Dim-flicker-off Lucas? They badge Japanese alternators at some point?
72-10.jpg
72-11.jpg

Next thing done was to take some PB blaster and hit every nut, bolt, and screw I could find. Inside, out, and underneath. will continue to repeat...I see many broken bolts in my future.

As you can see, a P.O. got plenty of use out of the front bumper :lol:. I've been hanging on to the stock bumper from my 78 for years. It's in pretty decent shape. Figured I'd throw it on here to dress things up a bit. If the budget allows, I'd love to order a NOS bumper as a finishing touch. They sure are pretty. But, that's a ways off.

Took some doing to get the old one off. The square holes in the bumper rounded out trying to break the bolts loose. Grabbed the angle grinder, and a cut off wheel to cut the bolts, but couldn't get to them all. Ended up chopping the bumper to pieces.

Since I had the grinder out, I threw on a flap disk and hit some of the flake and scale on the bib and frame. Cleans up nicely.

72-12.jpg

72-13.jpg

Since it would be sitting outside for a while until we moved to our new house, I threw on a hard top and doors to keep the rain out. Makes a nice place to store a hard top and doors too. :D

Most of my pics are passenger side for some reason. As you can see, the drivers side is in better shape.
72-14.jpg
72-12.jpg
72-13.jpg
72-14.jpg

Forgot to mention that I picked up a set of soft doors shortly before bringing this 40 home. Found these on Mud. Already fully restored with new OEM felts and weather stripping. Couldn't beat the deal I got.

Also came across a set of bows from a '66 on Ebay around this time. Had to drive up to northern New Jersey to pick them up, as he refused to ship. Probably the only reason we one the auction. Worked out pretty well. Turned out to be a super nice guy and a major Cruiser head. He wasn't on Mud at all at the time. He ended up letting me have the matching '66 soft doors that he had put in a seperate auction for a song. Thanks Matt!

72-15.jpg
72-15.jpg

Last edited:
The man I bought the 40 from wasn't sure how long it had been since it ran. He bought it as it was to restore, but never got around to it. Didn't get much history on it.

So I didn't have any idea what I was in for Engine/drivetrain-wise. Checked all the fluids. The whole drivetrain looked clean. No oil leaks at all. Didn't look like it was ever offroad. The last time it had a state inspection was 1989.

It was pretty to tough figure out....Fresh battery, cleaned up the points,.....and fresh some gas. 10 minutes. Done. Gotta love a Land Cruiser! :clap: Smoked a bit, then cleared right up. Didn't smell like it was burning oil. Didn't want to idle, but ran relatively smooth with a little choke. I'm sure the carb needs to be rebuilt. [obviously] No knocks or funny noises.

So, I changed the oil, and filters, and did some yard driving. Four wheel drive works great.Had a little surprise snow storm and it hurt my 78's feelings with those little old tires on a steep, snowy hill. :grinpimp:

72-16.jpg
72-16.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom