tie rod ends. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
planning on doing my tie rod ends when i get my next cash hit. i know i gotta get an alighnment done by a pro, but considering swapping the new ones in myself, i have heard that it can be a pain in the ass to get them off the tie rods.

is it hard, and what tricks do you guys use, any special tools?.

and any traps i may fall into (putting them on backwards or something silly noobs fall into)

pickle fork is a must....AKA tie rod end fork. $15-20 at any autoparts store...makes the process "easy".

so that'd replace the wood wedge with a hole and a large hammer that was outlined to me by a "bush mechanic" friend of dads

must be ironwood. 8)

speaking of replacing the ends, can a bent rod be unbent or will it be weaker and need replaced?

It would be in your best interest to replace,once you take heat to it it will weaken unless you heat and have a spare peice of steel to weld on there for a stiffener. Thats my theory

Hose down the threads with penetrating oil of some type for about a week before working on them. I also had to heat the end of the tie rod itself with a propane torch to get the last one out as it wasn't cooperating. I put it in a vise, hit it with the torch, and it came right out. Don't kow when your's were replaced last, but mine were original '78's and they weren't all that easy to back out. Just my $0.02 worth. :D

I'd hose em down real good like the last guy said but be sure to break everything loose before removing. It's easier on the rig than in the vise. I changed all my ends last month and ended up putting two back on the truck long enough to work them loose. Got lucky though didn't need to torch any.
As for straightening a bent rod, if it is a minor bend and you use the proper v-blocks in a hydraulic press, you wont compromise the integrity of the rod. If there is a dent or kink replace it.
Don't forget to have fun.

I will need to do my TRE's soon as well, when my PO undercoated with industrial epoxy he covered the TRE's as well, I guess I need to get in there with a chisel or screwdriver and chip it away around the threads to get some PB Blaster in there?

What works for me is to take 2 hammers, and hit the female part of the tie rod ends on each side at the same time. 2 hits and they just pop out every time. Mine had been in place for 8 years, and I struggled with pullers, large hammers, blood, sweat, you name it, till a friend showed me this trick.

I put a small amount of anti-sieze compound on the taper when reassembling, so straighteneing the steering rod after a good days wheeling ;) is quick.

ps. I picked up all 5 tie rod ends here for $60.

yeah, you can get TRE's for around a hundred bux most anywhere but, I sprayed down mine with a lubricant and used two 16 inch pipe wrenches to take them apart. Also, mark the threads on the end that is in use so you have a guide to tell you how far to screw the new one in when you install the new ones.

I hate sweating while I work, it makes holding your beer tough.

So that is why we pull the torch out and heat it up a bit and then throw the wrench onto it, bunchs easier. Once heated and stuck in the vice I tap the end of the tie rod which helps loosen the threads a bit more.

Rob

$280. wow, repco is usually expensive though, and half the time i go to repco they give me the wrong stuff. had an argument with an old guy in there 4 over an hour about 40's being sealed headlight units. finally he gave in when i lead him out to the 40, popped it off, and he tried to take it apart and shattered it.. free headlights...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom