Builds The YotaMD Build - Cypress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rear Bumper 90% done. Only outstanding tasks are license plate mount, back up camera relocation/substitute and light wiring. And then of course, rigging up that badass rear accessory panel with some goodies. This thing is a work of art. LOVE the design work and how it all came together. Really comes to life as you assemble it which is very satisfying.

The rear accessory panel is surprisingly not too in the way of the rear view and surprisingly really adds to the look of the car. I debated just leaving it off until the summer trip season, but I think it'll stay for good. Really neat stuff.

1587527564390.png

1587527587323.png

Also primed/base/cleared the color-matched portions of the front bumper today. When the clear still looks wet after it's dried I'm a happy camper.

1587527687728.png

Love the paint matched rear! Did you rattle can it or use a true paint gun?

Love the paint matched rear! Did you rattle can it or use a true paint gun?
Thanks!

No rattle can here. All PPG Omni materials sprayed through auto paint guns!

Bumpers are on.
Winch is installed (minus final disconnect switch).
Skids are on.
Fuel pump replacement today.
Brake master cylinder soon.
Solar is rerouted (now under the body and up through the jack tool area).
Semi-sealed box planned for the accessory panel area on rear bumper to house battery and air compressor.
Spare tire carrier flip up table is awesome.
Color-matched a YotaMD titanium plate for the LX key.

1588352825366.png

1588353001015.png

1588353061127.png

1588353169787.png

Recent development and opportunity to use my 3D printer for something a bit larger than most the parts I design. Battery switch mounting bracket that mounts over an existing component in the engine bay right by the fuse box on later year 100's.

1588948760383.png

Wow that looks really cool! How well does the material you printed with handle heat under the engine bay? Is your “switch” going to be used to isolate batteries in a double battery setup?

Wow that looks really cool! How well does the material you printed with handle heat under the engine bay? Is your “switch” going to be used to isolate batteries in a double battery setup?

Heat Deflection Temp (when the material starts to fail, essentially) is 145C or 293F. It should be good under the hood, but I'll have to test it out this summer on a hot day blasting AC in traffic. I'm guessing that area of the bay doesn't get much hotter than around 200F.

It will be used to switch power to the winch on one terminal and the other will be for 2nd battery and stereo. I plan to power everything I can with the second battery so that the starting battery can live an easy life.

**Edit: I should also mention the second battery is on a DC-DC charger so the line going to the second battery is not a direct line to the battery. A fuse holder could also be used to cut power when needed, but the battery switch is needed for the winch, so I might as well get a 3 position switch and put the fuse somewhere out of the way.

Last edited:
Update on a new topic: Brakes.

Mine suck. Replaced Master cylinder. Still suck. If the brake is pressed firmly and held, it will eventually fall to the floor. If you come to a stop and hold the brake pedal still, the car will begin to roll unless you push the pedal further and further.

The service records for this car indicate this problem being brought into a dealer years ago, but the dealer was "unable to replicate problem." I've flushed the system, changed the master cylinder and the problem remains. Time to go to Lexus and hope their master tech can sort it out.

On the plus side, I cleaned out my reservoir real good. New fluid in a clean reservoir looks pretty sweet.

1589835700972.png

Update on a new topic: Brakes.

Mine suck. Replaced Master cylinder. Still suck. If the brake is pressed firmly and held, it will eventually fall to the floor. If you come to a stop and hold the brake pedal still, the car will begin to roll unless you push the pedal further and further.

The service records for this car indicate this problem being brought into a dealer years ago, but the dealer was "unable to replicate problem." I've flushed the system, changed the master cylinder and the problem remains. Time to go to Lexus and hope their master tech can sort it out.

On the plus side, I cleaned out my reservoir real good. New fluid in a clean reservoir looks pretty sweet.

View attachment 2310869

Wow, what'd you use to clean it out? Looks brand new!

Wow, what'd you use to clean it out? Looks brand new!

You know that game where you tilt a marble around a board with walls and holes? It was kinda like that. I just used a little bit of isopropyl alcohol and some new brake fluid. I used the tiny bit of IPA first (after old fluid was drained), shook it around in there to capture what I could, and then drained and let it sit overnight to let any moisture evaporate. I then rinsed it out with some fresh brake fluid and filled it up. The hardest part is definitely tilting and shaking the thing in all the right ways to get the fluid out. The interior of that reservoir is a maze of walls so it's far from a simple fill and drain.

Well... Potentially good news. I drove a short distance and it seems to actually be solved. Not sure if my feet needed some real driving to calibrate my senses or what. No brake pedal fade and plenty of stopping power to chirp the tires at 30mph.

Time will tell.

Carbon Fiber Battery Switch done! I need to trim the cable enclosure so the terminals are hidden away, but here's a preview. It came out just how I wanted!

100% bolt in using existing mounts on the 2006 - 2007 100 series. Fuse box remains 100% accessible. I'll be adding this as a customize-able (whatever text you want on the front) and order-able product on the YotaMD store.

1589916844178.png

1589916861537.png

@suprarx7nut What is the compatibility issue with the older models? (Specifically 2004 LX470 ? :smokin:)

@suprarx7nut What is the compatibility issue with the older models? (Specifically 2004 LX470 ? :smokin:)
In short, there's a bunch of crap in the way, haha. See below. I think holes that I use exist in the body, but there's stuff that lives there and would need to be relocated. I think that's the charcoal canister on the early models. For the later years that got moved (I think under the cargo area in the rear).

1589930637773.png

Unfortunately, I can't go out and look at my Cruiser because it's on a boat! I'll keep following for further developments. Nice work!

Clean build!

How do you like your lift? I'm slowly browsing for one. Anything you would order differently?

Fellow supra guy as well! Any pics of it?

Clean build!

How do you like your lift? I'm slowly browsing for one. Anything you would order differently?

Fellow supra guy as well! Any pics of it?

Hey, thanks!

I love the lift. I got the HD7W and set it to narrow. 240V. I wouldn't change anything about the lift itself. Any complaint I have is more related to the workspace (or lack of workspace) I have around it. Suspension work can be a bit annoying with the ramps in the way, but I still like the 4 post better than a 2 post for my uses (mostly storage, with occasional work). If you can swing it, I'd get the hydraulic jack option they sell. It's stupid expensive, but there's no comparison for convenient and safe lifting. I have a hodge-podge of custom-designed jack plates and a variety of bottle jacks and jack stands. For all the time I have into my DIY setup, I should have just ponied up the cash for the Bendpak jack - even as ridiculous as it is priced. The power station would have also been nice as I now find myself without an easy power plug at that corner of the garage.

1589947347089.png

The 91 Supra Turbo lives up on the lift and is mid-restoration/build. Started doing a few panels of body work and that quickly escalated into a full blown glass-out, stripped all-over paint job. It's still in pieces (but driveable) and this LX build has stolen a lot of time, money and energy away from the Supra. I justify it because the LX has and will help bring in business while the Supra is more a selfish pleasure. I love that the 100 has provided me a way to enjoy an automotive hobby with my family, but boosting up an on-ramp into triple digits before you merge is still far more exciting. :p

Here's the Supra before paint work (upper) and after (lower). Was Medium Blue Metallic and is now Teal Metallic. Aiming for a mild 500+whp build, but will be happy once it's assembled and boosting again, no matter the power level. :)

1589947754150.png

Hey, thanks!

I love the lift. I got the HD7W and set it to narrow. 240V. I wouldn't change anything about the lift itself. Any complaint I have is more related to the workspace (or lack of workspace) I have around it. Suspension work can be a bit annoying with the ramps in the way, but I still like the 4 post better than a 2 post for my uses (mostly storage, with occasional work). If you can swing it, I'd get the hydraulic jack option they sell. It's stupid expensive, but there's no comparison for convenient and safe lifting. I have a hodge-podge of custom-designed jack plates and a variety of bottle jacks and jack stands. For all the time I have into my DIY setup, I should have just ponied up the cash for the Bendpak jack - even as ridiculous as it is priced. The power station would have also been nice as I now find myself without an easy power plug at that corner of the garage.

View attachment 2312569
The 91 Supra Turbo lives up on the lift and is mid-restoration/build. Started doing a few panels of body work and that quickly escalated into a full blown glass-out, stripped all-over paint job. It's still in pieces (but driveable) and this LX build has stolen a lot of time, money and energy away from the Supra. I justify it because the LX has and will help bring in business while the Supra is more a selfish pleasure. I love that the 100 has provided me a way to enjoy an automotive hobby with my family, but boosting up an on-ramp into triple digits before you merge is still far more exciting. :p

Here's the Supra before paint work (upper) and after (lower). Was Medium Blue Metallic and is now Teal Metallic. Aiming for a mild 500+whp build, but will be happy once it's assembled and boosting again, no matter the power level. :)

View attachment 2312571
Thanks for the suggestions!

Both rigs are coming along nicely. My supra has a tad bit over 700whp, but I feel like a bit less with more response is the sweet spot. I almost miss having the stock twins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom