Builds The YotaMD Build - Cypress (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD | ADGU
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.yotamd.com
This may as well be titled "The LX that 'Mud Built" because without the Mud community support of YotaMD this would not exist. So I offer an upfront and sincere "Thank You!" to you awesome folks that support your community vendors like YotaMD.

Now, let's dive into the fun stuff.

2006 LX470 in Cypress Pearl.

1578592691985.png

As Received

-216k miles as of Jan 2020
-AirTop RTT on factory rails
-Budget drawers
-Solar Panel, charger and battery
-Otherwise all OEM

The Good
-Airbags
Requirement. In 2003, the 100 series got optional side and curtain airbags. This 06 has all the airbags available in the 100 series to my knowledge.

-5 Speed
Requirement.

-VVTI
Requirement.

-AHC
Requirement. The system is complete and functional. I'm a fan of the benefits the system offers and complex troubleshooting is more like a fun adventure than a pain for me.

-Clean and Stock
This rig is a good starting point for a build. Previous service includes AHC accumulator replacement and a full 100k Slee service at 200k. The things that aren't clean on this rig are relatively easily "undone" or repaired.

What's Wrong?
-No YotaMD Key
Need I say more?

-AHC Pressures
Springs/bars are likely original and need to be replaced/upgraded/adjusted to correct neutral pressures.

-Coolant Leak
Appears to be the rear water bypass. Takes some labor, but overall should be a cheap fix.
1578593058485.png

-Oil leak
Previous mechanics told the PO the valve cover and power steering pump were leaking. I agree on the valve cover, can't verify the pump yet.

-Aux Battery and Wiring
I think the PO wired this up in an afternoon and was anxious to hit the trails. It's ugly. Rat's nest is an appropriate description. For something that's going to be stored in my house where my family sleeps, I need to take this all out. I like the idea so I may redo it, but for now it just needs to come out for my own peace of mind.

-Solar Panel Adhered to Roof
Similar to the wiring, the panel seems to have been rushed. It's a flexible panel that was glued or siliconed to the roof. Why? Why would you silicone a flexible panel to the roof of a nice LX470?

-Tailgate Garnish Loose
The garnish piece in the LX has clips and inset studs that hold the plastic garnish piece to the tailgate. Mine are mostly broken and the result is that the garnish piece rattles when you close the tailgate and hatch. VERY annoying and sounds very cheap/broken.

-Roof Top Tent
While I love the idea of an RTT, I want to store the LX in my garage.

-Drawers
After living with SS1 system I can't use these budget drawers. Once filled they take more strength to move than my wife can easily muster, they don't lock in or out, they come all the way off the rails if you pull them too far, they look less refined than I'd like and they are too low profile to store most of what I want to store. I co-own Air Down Gear Up so an SS1 system is basically a requirement.

-Audio
I finally got my audio dialed in on my '99 LC (Morel Virtus components, DSP amp, dual 10" Focal subs). Going back to OEM audio is dreary to put it nicely. I'll likely start with a V-line from Grom and see how the audio is with a good clean signal. I know the Mark Levinson system can be pretty good, but I'm sure the speakers all need a revamp and the best value is probably to rip them all out and replace with aftermarket. I'm not sure I deserve an "audiophile" title, but I pay a lot of attention to audio quality and have enjoyed using measurement mics and DSPs to really dial in audio systems.

The Plan
Reliability
Leak fixes are first. Followed by AHC tuning. There's also a broken stud in a rear wheel. That obviously needs to be repaired.

Driveability
Many rubber parts in the chassis are worn. I'll replace as many bushings as I can as I go.

Tint
My 99 has 35% up front and 20% in the rear on top of the OEM tint. In the summer that tint makes a world of difference for comfort and it also helps protect the interior and occupants from UV. I'll potentially do 35% all around on the LX.

Steering Wheel
I had my Supra wheel redone by Dallas Custom Steering Wheel and it's a work of art. I'll send this LX wheel off to them to get some much needed new life in that leather.

Armor - Sliders
Slee Slider Steps are wonderful. I have them on my 99 and plan to add them to this LX.
1578592771361.png

Armor - Skid Plates
Protecting the underbelly will be worthwhile peace of mind for occasional trail events/outings.

Armor - Front and Rear Bumpers
I like the Dissent bumpers/skids quite a bit. I wonder if @benc will offer up a deal if I go all out on aluminum Dissent gear at once?
1578592848450.png

Wheels/Tires
The rig comes with fresh Cooper AT3 tires, but they're 32". I like 33's for summer highway and trail driving. 17" wheels would also be better for trails. I'm not in love with the Lexus wheel's style and would prefer something with a slightly more flush offset. The Alpha Command wheels have my eye and come in a variety of offsets.
1578592626702.png

congrats! Thank you for the support of the community and I can't wait to see where this build ends up

Looks like it will be an awesome truck! Congrats and we always want to support our local vendors where ever possible!!

I found a thread here to fix my rattling license plate garnish a couple years ago. I think I ended up adding some double sided tape. I’ll edit if I can find the thread.

Those Alpha wheels have a fitment issue in the ideal +35 offset. For now you can do +35 or +15 but both need a spacer to work. They’re planning to reissue a 100 series wheel second quarter this year with +25 offset, you’ll notice 100 has disappeared from the page you showed above.

I found a thread here to fix my rattling license plate garnish a couple years ago. I think I ended up adding some double sided tape. I’ll edit if I can find the thread.

Those Alpha wheels have a fitment issue in the ideal +35 offset. For now you can do +35 or +15 but both need a spacer to work. They’re planning to reissue a 100 series wheel second quarter this year with +25 offset, you’ll notice 100 has disappeared from the page you showed above.

That's a very good point on the garnish. Some double sided foam tape would probably solve it 98%. I'm a bit OCD when it comes to everything fitting just as intended, but comparing $5 in 3M auto-foam tape vs ~$750+ paint labor to do the OEM route maybe I can let my OCD take a back seat.

Great to know about the Alpha wheels, thank you. I thought previously they had 100 series listed, but didn't give it much of a second thought when it wasn't showing now. Brake caliper clearance issues or what? Just read your link. Hub clearance issues, got it. I'm hoping they can correct it early Q2. I need to get all geared up before HIH in July.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new truck and looking forward to seeing the progress.

If the RTT is attached and ahc is in low does it fit in a standard garage door opening on stock wheels and tires?

If the RTT is attached and ahc is in low does it fit in a standard garage door opening on stock wheels and tires?

Not even close on my 7' garage. I also have a 4 post lift the cruiser lives underneath so that's the ultimate limitation at 82" (6'10"). On my 99 with a small lift and 33's, I have about 1" clearance from the rack to lift. The LX on low is lower, but not 11+" lower.

If I had an 8' garage door and no lift (or a taller one) I'd totally keep the rtt and store it in the garage ceiling, but it's just not in the cards for this house.

But, but, but, it's a LX!

Welcome to the dark side :)

My wife is already scared I'm going to ruin such a nice car on the trails, haha.
I went an looked a couple LXs local to me prior to picking up my LC. One I really wanted to come home with, 2002, Grey Mica color, 190k, 2 owners and when I walked up at night it looked PRISTINE under all the dealership lights. Poking around I found ONE door ding from something like a shopping cart. Overall the rig was absolutely pristine and they were only asking $13k for it. However, once I sat in it and started it up I knew two things; 1.) if I came home with it I would feel BAD taking it on the trail, and 2.) if I came home with it, it would only take a couple of drives before my wife confiscated it and I got her '11 4Runner.

I went an looked a couple LXs local to me prior to picking up my LC. One I really wanted to come home with, 2002, Grey Mica color, 190k, 2 owners and when I walked up at night it looked PRISTINE under all the dealership lights. Poking around I found ONE door ding from something like a shopping cart. Overall the rig was absolutely pristine and they were only asking $13k for it. However, once I sat in it and started it up I knew two things; 1.) if I came home with it I would feel BAD taking it on the trail, and 2.) if I came home with it, it would only take a couple of drives before my wife confiscated it and I got her '11 4Runner.

Funny you say that. My wife drove the LX home from the purchase. When we stopped she pet the steering wheel and asked me, "So when are you buying your next car? Because this one is mine."

Despite her not liking the size of the 100 and not having any significant off-road desire, she really liked driving that LX. The steering wheel feels really nice (even mine with the worn leather) and the ride with a decently functional AHC system is smoother than my LC AND more sporty all at the same time.

This all being said... this LX is a utility rig for me. A nice-looking comfortable one, but a utility rig none-the-less.

It has clear bra on the leading edges of the fenders, hood, A-pillars and mirrors. It's all old and needs removal/replacement. I'm tempted to just have clear bra re-installed on the entire fender, hood and A pillars/mirrors. That would make me feel much better about plowing through tight trails. I pinstriped my 99 LC pretty quick into its ownership. I think I had it 2 months before the first major stripes, haha.

We'll see what clear bra costs. I wouldn't want to spend a fortune on it, but the paint is pretty nice right now. It'd be good to keep it that way while not having to worry about the occasional tight trail.

Excited to follow along. You've got the best year, best color, and best version (LX) so this should end up pretty epic. It just looks so pedestrian with the running boards and stock wheels. Where is the auxiliary battery in your truck? with the AHC I have not found a good spot for a 2nd battery yet. Are you going whole-hog on the Dissent front bumper and getting the bull bar too? Good choice on aluminum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom