The Ultimate 80 Series Parts Discontinued Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not too worried. Someone else far smarter than me always seems to figure out a way...
Although these trucks have a fairly small following - we are the loudest and most demanding:flipoff2:

I’m not worried. I’ve stockpiled a fair amount of parts and have 3 80s. Only need to keep one running for the next 15 years or so. Then switch to a 79 pickup!

I just realized that I will most likely tip over before my 80. Dang......

Step 6

Somehow, I've spent well over a decade lurking or participating in this 80 series forum, and I didn't know about this thread until today. WTF??
I'm good with the duct tape so I'm not too worried....;)

Hey Beno,

In another thread you noted that the 3F-E radiator is discontinued and NLA, however a diesel radiator (you gave the part number) will work and an OEM manual radiator is still available. I am just curious how you're sure it will fit in a 3F-E 80 series before I order one. I'm not questioning whether you're right or not, but I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how exactly the 3F-E, 1Z, and diesel radiators all differ and compare.

I'm not questioning whether you're right or not......

Lest ye forget the 11th commandment, o’ ye of little faith:

Thou shalt not question the Shaman or his charge.

Inherent all I6 Cruiser DNA, a mantra chanted on the production line from onset through at least 80 production-

‘Keep it stupid simple’

Considering production overlaps/the various engines used throughout, the unchanged radiator support and external tranny cooler, logic says that radiators from beginning to end have a high probability of consistency, at least mounting and orientation.

I’d bet the inlet and outlet hoses are all that differ, if any, with exception of the very few that may not have been AC equipped.

Oh and lets not forget the ECU's. They aren't going to last forever and once they start failing, they will become a hot commodity for people trying to keep 80's running. But unlike a valve job I think an ECU rebuild is a little more daunting considering the programs and chips are long gone I am sure.
I have 2 back up ECU’s. If you plan to own these trucks for many years you have to put back things like that.

Lest ye forget the 11th commandment, o’ ye of little faith:

Thou shalt not question the Shaman or his charge.

Inherent all I6 Cruiser DNA, a mantra chanted on the production line from onset through at least 80 production-

‘Keep it stupid simple’

Considering production overlaps/the various engines used throughout, the unchanged radiator support and external tranny cooler, logic says that radiators from beginning to end have a high probability of consistency, at least mounting and orientation.

I’d bet the inlet and outlet hoses are all that differ, if any, with exception of the very few that may not have been AC equipped.

I get that, which is why I’m curious what’s different about the 3f-e radiator and 1z radiator, since they are deemed incompatible, but, I suppose with regards to the diesel radiator one could assume that since the diesel came out along side the 3f-e trucks, the radiator might be the same or very similar. The problem is I have no proof of anything besides what Beno said, and while I’m highly inclined to believe him, I’m asking mostly to satisfy my own curiosity, and I would like to be able to share information with fellow or future 3f-e owners since our radiators are discontinued and the replacement options are slim. You can buy an aftermarket diesel automatic radiator that’s all aluminum, but there is nothing of the sort for a 3f-e, not to mention oem options. Honestly I can probably find a way to make anything work if I came down to it but it don’t want to hack job my truck, or for that matter have to worry about or mess with the cooling system within the next 5-10 years.

You are welcome to believe me or not. I could really care less.

48460CF7-4EB3-4A18-A7E9-5559A778E02E.jpeg

D140863D-462F-4280-B5AD-12368C6F78F6.jpeg

Beautiful piece of Aichi Steel. OEM 80 series PS gear box. Notice the 105 sector shaft is not tapered like the factory units. This is now how they come from Toyota new. Manufactured by Toyoda Industries (AKA: JTEKT). Very readily available. A different pitman arm is needed as well.

fullsizeoutput_4761.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_475e.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4752.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_475b.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4758.jpeg

Thank God!

Don't like seeing your name on any new additions to this thread as it could be bad news.

Beautiful piece of Aichi Steel. OEM 80 series PS gear box. Notice the 105 sector shaft is not tapered like the factory units. This is now how they come from Toyota new. Manufactured by Toyoda Industries (AKA: JTEKT). Very readily available. A different pitman arm is needed as well.

View attachment 1609675 View attachment 1609676 View attachment 1609677 View attachment 1609678 View attachment 1609679
@beno I need that, so new box comes with the 105 shaft? I just need pitman arm too, send me price and I'll get on it after my wedding in April thanks @beno

@beno So we talking north of 1500? I have found rebuilt for 700, pm me the price if ya want. Thanks brother!

View attachment 1609675 View attachment 1609676 View attachment 1609677 View attachment 1609678 View attachment 1609679

For a lay person that doesn’t understand this could you explain what or why this is better than stock? Or who would need this? I don’t understand. Thanks.

This is a supersceeded part that has an enlarged sector shaft to help it resist twisting. If you have a truck that has been worked hard enough to twist the sector (not unheard of, hence the improvement ) the new version is desirable.
For a lay person that doesn’t understand this could you explain what or why this is better than stock? Or who would need this? I don’t understand. Thanks.

@beno So we talking north of 1500? I have found rebuilt for 700, pm me the price if ya want. Thanks brother!
More like double that number.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom