Builds The Story of Blue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Decided to clean my engine bay. Washed with garden hose, then sprayed liberally with a de-greaser, scrubbed with brushes, rinse and then repeat!
Finished with coating every surface I could reach with Bioshield T-9
Amazon product ASIN B001447PEK
@Kabanstva recommended this product for winter proofing - I am expecting it to provide a layer of protection against salt this winter!

Before and After:
20231009_160135.jpg
20231009_165134.jpg
20231009_165145.jpg

Decided to clean my engine bay. Washed with garden hose, then sprayed liberally with a de-greaser, scrubbed with brushes, rinse and then repeat!
Finished with coating every surface I could reach with Bioshield T-9
Amazon product ASIN B001447PEK
@Kabanstva recommended this product for winter proofing - I am expecting it to provide a layer of protection against salt this winter!

Before and After:
View attachment 3451931View attachment 3451932View attachment 3451933
T9 is great. I’m about to use it again on my van before winter. It does leave a yellowish residue on plastics etc but to me it’s way better than having corrosion everywhere. Plus you can degrease the yellow residue if it bothers you with mineral spirits or similar solvents (doesn’t bother me).

That is one stuffed engine compartment! Where’s the PS reservoir hiding??

Also very jelly of your air cleaner.
Hard to see the PS reservoir - it is tucked right behind the air box
20220822_144733.jpg
20231009_165134.jpg

Looks great, did you cover anything specific with plastic or just let it fly, both washing and the t9?

Yup, never expected to covet another man's air cleaner, but lo, I am weak!

Really like how tidy and sorted your engine compartment build is. Any issues with heat soaking?
I haven't noticed any issues with heat soaking, but again we live in a usually cold climate. 90F is an event here!
This summer we drove through 110F weather in KS, loaded with kids and everything, A/C blasting and didn't see any unusually high temps either!

20230823_161952.jpg

I haven't noticed any issues with heat soaking, but again we live in a usually cold climate. 90F is an event here!
This summer we drove through 110F weather in KS, loaded with kids and everything, A/C blasting and didn't see any unusually high temps either!

View attachment 3453352
198F-WT (ECT) on HWY in 110F OAT, certainly not overheating. But is a little bit on high side for 00-02, even if stopped at a red light/sign.

In the 00-02 I see, 184f to 187F ECT in OATs of 103F at 3 PM full sun, stop/go city driving. At stops, high ECT 190F for a moment perhaps, but backs down fast to 187F.

The 100 series without condenser fan, I do see 198F ECT, whenever OAT above 70's.

198F-WT (ECT) on HWY in 110F OAT, certainly not overheating. But is a little bit on high side for 00-02, even if stopped at a red light/sign.

In the 00-02 I see, 184f to 187F ECT in OATs of 103F at 3 PM full sun, stop/go city driving. At stops, high ECT 190F for a moment perhaps, but backs down fast to 187F.

The 100 series without condenser fan, I do see 198F ECT, whenever OAT above 70's.
Since I just replaced the water pump and all other relevant bits like 5k miles ago when I did the timing belt job and also cleaned the radiator, I am wondering if these slightly elevated temps are indicative of heat soaking!?!

Perhaps I should start with putting some heat shields on the Doug Thorley headers?

Since I just replaced the water pump and all other relevant bits like 5k miles ago when I did the timing belt job and also cleaned the radiator, I am wondering if these slightly elevated temps are indicative of heat soaking!?!

Perhaps I should start with putting some heat shields on the Doug Thorley headers?
Perhaps heat soaking. 110F OAT is very hot, hotter than I've tested at!

Radiator fins clean, good Toyota thermostat w/ jiggle valve at top, good OEM rad cap, proper working reservoir and fan clutch, coolant to top of radiator (no air), fuel trims with 5% range. All matter!

Exhaust manifold, I don't see affecting ECT.

Mileage: 201,500: Noticed the coolant level in the overflow reservoir was very low. Topped it off (used may be a cup of coolant). Drove it around to get to the operating temp and came back parked it on the drive way. Next morning, saw a puddle of coolant under the truck. Panic!
Didn't see any obvious signs of leaking radiator or seeping hoses anywhere. Did notice a coolant puddle on the front skid plate and some coolant pooling inside the fan shroud.

So, I took off the front skid plate, topped off the coolant reservoir and went for another drive, let it cool down and then check the reservoir, only to find it empty again!
Next, I borrowed a pressure testing kit from Oreilly's to see if the system will hold pressure. Let the truck cool down and set the contraption up. At first it'd hold 16 psi steady and then as I was squeezing the upper hose, saw a tiny stream escape from the upper hose end at the radiator. Tried to twist the hose at the radiator and it was pretty obvious that the aftermarket hose clamp was loose. Tightened it up, and tried pressure test again - this time it help 16 psi for a solid 10 minutes!

Topped off the coolant, still have to test it. Hopefully, this resolves the issue. When I replaced the timing belt this summer, I used all new OEM hoses and clamps everywhere except the top hose clamp as I was short one! Now I have ordered a new OEM hose clamp (part # 90466-41008), just to replace it for peace of mind.

20231117_101731.jpg
20231117_101737.jpg

Switched to the Winter setup. I think the 20" Tundra TRD wheels looks really spiffy!
Also, tried to fit the 34.5" spare in the stock location but it was hitting the panhard bar, it will have to live on the rear swing out.
20231122_121811.jpg
20231122_132031.jpg
20231122_130237.jpg
20231122_130704.jpg

A quick video of the trip to Moab this summer

Mileage 240,500.
Fresh Mobil 1 high mileage oil with Mobil1 209A extra capacity filter.
Summer Tires Michelin Defender LTX M/S in size 285/60/20 (33.5") on Tundra 20" wheels. Following @MongooseGA 's lead I have switched to comfy New Balance shoes as well. No point in running loud knobby tires when 99% of my miles are on pavement. Really liking quiet and smooth ride of the Defenders.

20240227_134349.jpg
20240227_134351.jpg
20240227_134358.jpg

Last edited:
New Windshield: Old one got cracked on the last trip to CO and over the winter the crack spread out to the width of the windshield. Safelite installed the new aftermarket glass. The guy that came out knew what he was doing and actually took pride in his work which was refreshing! He knew about rock chips causing rust on the frame edges and the importance of using the proper rivets, instead of screws.

Well - luckily there was not even a spec of rust anywhere. The installer did also put extra sealant on the rivet holes to make sure they don't leak post installation. He also used proper sized rivets. Quiet happy with the job - will report back after I have had a chance to drive it too.

20240301_103346.jpg
20240301_113612.jpg
20240301_113624.jpg
20240301_113632.jpg
20240301_123320.jpg

New Windshield: Old one got cracked on the last trip to CO and over the winter the crack spread out to the width of the windshield. Safelite installed the new aftermarket glass. The guy that came out knew what he was doing and actually took pride in his work which was refreshing! He knew about rock chips causing rust on the frame edges and the importance of using the proper rivets, instead of screws.

Well - luckily there was not even a spec of rust anywhere. The installer did also put extra sealant on the rivet holes to make sure they don't leak post installation. He also used proper sized rivets. Quiet happy with the job - will report back after I have had a chance to drive it too.

View attachment 3570805View attachment 3570806View attachment 3570807View attachment 3570808View attachment 3570809
I so dreaded getting a new windshield, glad for you that we ended up having a local expert after all!!

Mileage 240,500.
Fresh Mobil 1 high mileage oil with Mobil1 209A extra capacity filter.
Summer Tires Michelin Defender LTX M/S in size 285/60/20 (33.5") on Tundra 20" wheels. Following @MongooseGA 's lead I have switched to comfy New Balance shoes as well. No point in running loud knobby tires when 99% of my miles are on pavement. Really liking quiet and smooth ride of the Defenders.

View attachment 3570801View attachment 3570802View attachment 3570803

I’m a big fan of the Defenders. Great road tire and not too shabby off road too!

I ordered new leather skins for the front seats last week (Jun 24th) from @Ridies. They usually take 4 to 5 weeks to get them shipped from overseas (I think Pakistan). I also ordered a new driver's side seat cushion from Impex Japan. I was expecting to get everything on hand by mid to late July.
Welp! Ridies were delivered to my door in 5 days flat, including 2 days of weekend! I don't know what black magic they used, but I am definitely very impressed! My driver's seat bottom is still probably a month out!

The covers themselves are ultra high quality with all panels made of full grain leather. That is actually incredible since even the original Lexus seats have leather on the seating surfaces only. I chose to get perforated seating surfaces with wrinkled inserts. I stayed with the light gray to match the original color. I really like the 'Audi Burnt Orange' but I am not planning to replace the second row at the moment and didn't want mismatched seat color.

The install
So far I have only installed the passenger seat set. Took the seat out, stripped off the old leather (cut out a ton of hog rings). installation is reverse (and much more labor intensive! :D). It turned out pretty decent if I say so myself with the exception of the rear seat panel. The leather gets glued to the rear panel and it requires more talent than I could muster to get clean results. I think it is serviceable and I am happy to live with it.

Some pics:
First pic shows the Ridies has French seams on the headrest instead of the simple top stitch on the original leather.

View attachment 3047668View attachment 3047666View attachment 3047669
That looks great. I have a 2000 TLC and looking the do the same think with new leather and drivers eat bottom. How much did the whole thing cost you. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom