Builds The Story of Blue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally replaced the air control valve and went for a drive after almost 3 weeks. With new seat skins, new steering wheel all the touch points are way nicer! On top of that the new poly steering rack bushings have fixed the steering play altogether

I was hoping the the rear end jiggling side to side at the slightest provocation would be cured by the new rear control arms (well 3 of the 4 new control arms) but unfortunately that is as bas as ever. Since the AHC pressures are within range, I am wondering if the rear is over-spring by the LC springs instead of LX specific weaker springs!

I plan to replace the one remaining left rear UCLA, then disconnect the temp sensor for AHC pump and then check the pressures again.
Oh also, the shock cushions on all 4 corners are compressed and are probably useless - could they be the source of jiggling here? @katit did that help in your case?
Did you rebush or replace the panhard bar?

I plan to replace the one remaining left rear UCLA, then disconnect the temp sensor for AHC pump and then check the pressures again.
Oh also, the shock cushions on all 4 corners are compressed and are probably useless - could they be the source of jiggling here? @katit did that help in your case?
Hard to tell what helped or not. After rear refresh in my case I do feel like it's got better/firm. Not sure what "jiggling" is. I didn't measure AHC pressure without sensor. But with sensor and new springs they were barely in specs. I did install rear LC springs.

Did you rebush or replace the panhard bar?
Neither, it is still what came from factory. I did put a new panhard bar in my last truck and it made zero impact on the butt dyno so I might skip it this time.

Refreshed the front end today. Replaced upper control arms, lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends and sway bar links. 3 hours of hard work. The steering is nice and tight now, but I found the driver side steering rack boot has holes in it, and the rack is leaking - so I need to get back in there to replace the boot.
Also, the front bearings have ever so slight play in them so I need to repack and re-torque them.
Ball joints are 555 brand supplied by @cruiseroutfit and the control arms, tie rods and sway bar links are all Toyota.

20210618_111253.jpg
20210618_111306.jpg

Had a local shop put the truck up on a lift and wash off all the dirt, treat a couple of spots for rust. Once prepped, they sprayed all surfaces (including inside the frame rails, door cavities etc.) with wax. Finished it all off with NH Oil coating.
Before:

IMG953599.jpg
IMG953601.jpg
IMG953605.jpg

After:

20210706_120326.jpg
20210706_120350.jpg

20210706_120439.jpg
20210706_120505.jpg

Replaced the broken power antenna with a OEM manual version.
1625690347526.png

Wow that looks like it just rolled off the line. I live in the southwest so rust is not really an issue, but what does a service like that cost?
I had to pay $800 of the finest doubloons from the old coffer. So far I have managed to triple my investment in this truck!

Is NH Oil a black tar-like coating? It looks that way from the after pics. For some reason I always thought it was more along the lines of Fluid Film, but clearly it’s not. Looks awesome either way!

Is NH Oil a black tar-like coating? It looks that way from the after pics. For some reason I always thought it was more along the lines of Fluid Film, but clearly it’s not. Looks awesome either way!
It is definitely more like wax and oil mixture. Not a paint or coating which can hide rust until it's too late. I do think it has some sort of black dye in it that helps with appearance.

From their own website: "...blend of highly refined Mineral Oil, & Green Corrosion Inhibitors that guard against rust and corrosion on all metals. It eliminates moisture and oxygen while providing a barrier against salt, dirt, and other pollutants from the metal..."

It is definitely more like wax and oil mixture. Not a paint or coating which can hide rust until it's too late. I do think it has some sort of black dye in it that helps with appearance.

From their own website: "...blend of highly refined Mineral Oil, & Green Corrosion Inhibitors that guard against rust and corrosion on all metals. It eliminates moisture and oxygen while providing a barrier against salt, dirt, and other pollutants from the metal..."
I wonder if that stuff is sold over the counter to the general public. Would love to test it against fluid film or Amsoil HDMP (my other favorite coating). If you are brave enough to drive that in the Wisconsin winter, I’d love to hear a report in the spring how that coating held up!

I wonder if that stuff is sold over the counter to the general public. Would love to test it against fluid film or Amsoil HDMP (my other favorite coating). If you are brave enough to drive that in the Wisconsin winter, I’d love to hear a report in the spring how that coating held up!
They definitely sell it to the public. My favorite among what I have tried so far is the Cosmoline RP 342, I have found it to be very resilient and quite effective.

I do plan to drive it throughout the year, including the winter so we'll see what things look like after the first salt season

They definitely sell it to the public. My favorite among what I have tried so far is the Cosmoline RP 342, I have found it to be very resilient and quite effective.

I do plan to drive it throughout the year, including the winter so we'll see what things look like after the first salt season
Awesome man. I am a firm believer in Fluid Film. 4 winters with my LS430 and it’s still 99.5% rust free. The only rust I see is from a few penny sized paint chips on the rear axles. Other then that, we see 3 month old cars at our shop with more corrosion and rust than that car.

I forgot to ask, did they spray anything on your engine and engine bay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom