Builds The Rushing Turdle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Turd made it into the latest issue of Toyota Trails. Woo hoo!
IMG_3156[1].JPG

I did some more work on the side step/sliders. I decided that they stuck out too far so I chopped off the frame mounts, removed 1.5" of tube and re-welded the mounts. I like the way they fit now. I'll do some before and after pics later. For now, here's some more pics of how I modified the ARB steps and made them into sliders.
IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3168.JPG

IMG_3169.JPG

IMG_3170.JPG

IMG_3171.JPG

I did some more work on the side step/sliders. I decided that they stuck out too far so I chopped off the frame mounts, removed 1.5" of tube and re-welded the mounts. I like the way they fit now. I'll do some before and after pics later. For now, here's some more pics of how I modified the ARB steps and made them into sliders.
View attachment 1426297
View attachment 1426298
View attachment 1426300
View attachment 1426303
View attachment 1426309

D,

I've always used a notcher or a chopsaw to make my cuts. How did the freehand holesaw treat you? Any binding/catching?

Just for future reference if you ever want to try the chopsaw method.

J

Jason, I don't have a chop saw or a notcher. I am just a shade tree hack. I used what I had on hand: Sawzall, 4.5" angle grinder and a drill. I did several notches with only the angle grinder but I wasn't real happy with how they turned out vs. the time spent on them. I looked around and found that old hole saw that I had used many times for cutting door knob holes in doors. It was a Lennox brand marked as okay for metal and wood so I chucked it in the old Makita corded drill. It worked a lot better than just notching with an angle grinder. It was slow though. There was some binding and catching but it wasn't terrible. If I were to do many more of these I would have to go out and buy a chop saw.

My goal with everything I do related to 'Cruisers is to have the best possible end result using the least amount of money humanly possible. That's why I do things like adapt a 100 series rack to fit on a 60, or recurve my own distributor with MSD springs, cut up an old pair of seats to graft in the headrests to my rear bench, or drill, tap, bolt and weld a busted harmonic balancer. Heck, I painted my FJ40 with rattle can Rustoleum!

IMG_0620.JPG

The things that I do are not for everyone. One could argue that some of the things I do are halfassed. I don't think that is necessarily true. In my mind there is a fine line between doing something halfassed and doing it on the cheap. I shoot for cheap and not halfassed. The same idea goes for hacking up these old ARB steps. They were dirt cheap used from the local Craigslist. My hope is that I can make them look better, perform better and have fun doing it all for about $200. Can't beat that! Hopefully they won't look too halfassed when I'm done. I guess we'll see...

Last edited:
Im with Dave... but I just call myself a "cheap bastard" LOL!
Borrowed my buddies HF chop saw when I was doing the brackets for the PT Cruiser seat swap and that thing was the largest piece of IHST that I have ever used. I cut better and quicker with my 4.5" angle grinder than that thing.

My uncle hooked me up w/ a spare chop saw. I've yet to use it but was glad to see that video. It's worth has kicked up a few 'notches.'

Im with Dave... but I just call myself a "cheap bastard" LOL!
Borrowed my buddies HF chop saw when I was doing the brackets for the PT Cruiser seat swap and that thing was the largest piece of IHST that I have ever used. I cut better and quicker with my 4.5" angle grinder than that thing.

Well I call HF-- Horrific Fatality! Too many incidents to count, just here on MUD! Its sad. I understand $$, but my life and body are worth more to me than the worth of HF as a whole.

I've had 10-11 chopsaw over the years and none have cut the same, even the same mfg. Dewalt has proven to be the best for my cutting habits. Blades account for 50% of a quality cut and proper speed/pressure for the other 50%. But, more times than not, I grab a 4, 4.5 or 5" grinder with a cutoff wheel and get after it.

D, how is the TOYO u-joint treating you?

J

Here's a pic of the ARB step/sliders before I removed material to snug them up to the body.

IMG_3074.JPG

...and after

IMG_3188.JPG

The finished product:

IMG_3190.JPG

IMG_3191.JPG

IMG_3192.JPG

Those look right nice. :clap:

On Sunday I took my spare trans and transfer case up to @GLTHFJ60 's house and we rebuilt the split case. We got 99 percent finished but we ended up needing a smaller shim than the one that was in the case. Of course the Terrain Tamer rebuild kit did not have shims, so I'll have to source a set from Mr. T. Thanks for your expertise and for the use of your shop and tools, Johnny. I really do appreciate it.
IMG_3264[1].JPG
IMG_3265[1].JPG

Installed a new motor in my Warn M8000 winch. The old motor was full of rust and only worked for a split second in either direction and only after a sharp hammer blow each time as the button was pressed. The new motor went in easily and everything is working like it should. Good to have my winching capability back. Woo hoo!

Up next: spare transmission and spare recently-rebuilt transfer case will be swapped in place of the grumbling and howling lump that is currently moving this truck down the road. Along with the drivetrain switch-over will be a new clutch, throw-out bearing, machined flywheel, pilot bearing, rear main seal and other associated odds and ends. Stay tuned!

This past weekend the Turdle underwent a transmission / transfer case transplant. Ever since I've owned it, the transmission had a bad input bearing and it made a constant roaring sound unless I pressed the clutch pedal, at which point it was silent. In addition, the transfer case was worn out and it sounded like an old school bus going down the road. On / off throttle it made all sorts of interesting sounds. For two plus years now I have just been keeping a check on the fluid levels and driving it. It has complained the whole time but it never let me down. Earlier in the thread I posted pics of the transfer case rebuild. That case was mounted to a known-to-be-good H42 trans. I went to a friend's shop (with a lift) and we swapped the two lumps. The swap was straightforward enough. We had a few struggles here and there but no big surprises. The noise level in the cab is greatly reduced and the truck drives great. I am looking forward to driving and enjoying the truck more than ever. Go Turdle!

This past weekend the Turdle underwent a transmission / transfer case transplant. Ever since I've owned it, the transmission had a bad input bearing and it made a constant roaring sound unless I pressed the clutch pedal, at which point it was silent. In addition, the transfer case was worn out and it sounded like an old school bus going down the road. On / off throttle it made all sorts of interesting sounds. For two plus years now I have just been keeping a check on the fluid levels and driving it. It has complained the whole time but it never let me down. Earlier in the thread I posted pics of the transfer case rebuild. That case was mounted to a known-to-be-good H42 trans. I went to a friend's shop (with a lift) and we swapped the two lumps. The swap was straightforward enough. We had a few struggles here and there but no big surprises. The noise level in the cab is greatly reduced and the truck drives great. I am looking forward to driving and enjoying the truck more than ever. Go Turdle!

Whohoo!!! Glad to hear it brother!! Nice work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom