Builds The Rushing Turdle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks, Fel. The canoe is a '76 Grumman...a couple years newer than the one they used in the movie, Deliverance. I like old stuff!

Beautiful truck Dave. You've built a very nice truck.

Thanks, Fel. The canoe is a '76 Grumman...a couple years newer than the one they used in the movie, Deliverance. I like old stuff!
Same here!

And Deliverance is a creepy friggen movie. I did recently show my son the fiddle scene tho.

Beautiful truck Dave. You've built a very nice truck.
Thanks Stan. One day I hope to see it in your shop for a little love. One day.....

Sounds to me like you are set up for a while. :beer: I test drove the LS3 swap a bit today, about all I can say is WOW. 430 HP and 425 ft lbs of torque will get an FJ62 going in a hurry. I'm still grinning :)

Sweet 60 and Canoe!

I think all of us 60 folks like the old stuff. I actually grew up a county over from the river they filmed Deliverance on and it's a beast of a river, very technical in a kayak. It's also responsible for lots of deaths over the years.

My son, Nathan and I took the Turdle to ONSC's Logan's Run 2017 this past weekend (9/15-17/2017) for camping and 'wheeling at Uwharrie National Forest. The old Turd ran great and did everything I asked it to do on the trails. It was a fun event, as always.

IMG_3671.JPG

IMG_3688.JPG
IMG_3697.JPG

IMG_3673.JPG
IMG_3670.JPG

Awesome thread so much good info. Truck looks great looks like it killed it at LR hope to make it out there next time!

Dave, thank you for letting me oogle all over your truck at Logans Run this past weekend. I am digging the subtle mods you have done and the rig is in great shape. I look forward to lining Buster Brown up with the pack at the next Relic Run. Package will be inbound over the weekend.:D

Nice rig! And great info on some projects I've been considering for my 60.

Curious to hear your thoughts on the longer shackles in front. What springs do you have, OME? I too have the stink bug stance and was eyeing longer shackles to push the front up a bit. I like the way your truck sits, what length shackle did you install?

Have you noticed much of a change in how it rides and handles?

Keep up the great work! Thanks.

Nice rig! And great info on some projects I've been considering for my 60.

Curious to hear your thoughts on the longer shackles in front. What springs do you have, OME? I too have the stink bug stance and was eyeing longer shackles to push the front up a bit. I like the way your truck sits, what length shackle did you install?

Have you noticed much of a change in how it rides and handles?

Keep up the great work! Thanks.

Thanks for the compliments! The Turd has the OME Medium Springs. The shackles I used up front are the CCOT HFS 1.5" shackles. I did not choose the greasable pins option. I just don't trust the hollow bolt design of the greasable ones.

shackles-hfs-barbell-shackles-1-38.jpg

I have not had any ill effects whatsoever with the longer shackles. I cannot tell a single bit of difference in drivability, steering response, handling etc. The shackles are well made, strong and just plain work. I have been very happy with them. I would not recommend going longer than 1.5" over stock in the front because you may lose too much caster.

Nathan's truck just gets better all the time :)

Chopped off the old original battery terminal ends, stripped ends and re-crimped ring ends onto the cables. Swapped on MIL SPEC terminals to clean up and tighten up all the connections. This swap is a must do for adding a winch. The Turdle has been half-assed for way too long with loose terminals and sloppy wires.

Before:
IMG_4041.JPG

After:

IMG_4042.JPG

Old over-stretched terminal ends.

IMG_4043.JPG

I borrowed this hydraulic crimper from a buddy. It's the cat's meow!

IMG_4044.JPG
IMG_4045.JPG

The Turd received some love over the past couple of days. I was tired of fiddling around with the Trollhole carb and decided to see for myself if the @Racer65 City Racer carb was worthy of all the good reviews it has been getting. I am happy to say that, yes, it is! I swapped over my AC idle up, bolted it on, and with a few tweaks the truck runs the best it has run since I have owned it. The City Racer carb is silky smooth as it transitions between idle, main and secondary circuits. In my opinion it is equivalent to the factory carb in every way, just without all the smog ports. I am very happy with the carb. I like it so much that I'm considering putting one on the 40 (Crockpot) as well. It just plain works.

Last edited:
I got a safety inspection notice in the mail from NCDMV the other day so I knew there would be one item on the Turd that I would need to attend to before I took it in. The 1984 factory tailpipe had finally started to get some rust holes. Rather than take it in for inspection and pray that the inspector didn't see them, I decided to do new exhaust from the cat back. I retained the factory catalytic converter but bumped up the exhaust diameter from 2" to 2.5" aft of the cat. In place of the factory muffler, I put in a Flowmaster knock-off muffler. Rather than go straight out the back under the bumper, I opted to do a turn and dump just behind the driver side rear tire. I like the look. It's barely any louder than the roached out factory muffler and piping. It may be a tad throatier. The cat kills a ton of noise. If I ever take that off, it will be a different ball game for sure. I like the cat though, and not smelling like gas on the trail. As for a horsepower increase with this mod...there may be one but my butt dyno does not have a fine enough setting to feel it.

IMG_4128[1].JPG
IMG_4130[1].JPG

I had the exhaust done at Boulevard Muffler at 5933 Wilkinson Blvd in Gastonia (technically, Cramerton). The shop owner's name is Buck. Great guy. He did the work while I stood and watched him. I think he did a phenomenal job for a price that could not be beat. I tipped him well. Old school exhaust guys are getting hard to find. Buck is a good one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom