Builds The "Red Rocket" Troopy (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hello,

Have a good trip.

The Troopie is a reliable ride. It will not let you down. If something happens, it will hold until you can get help/assistance.

Juan

There are plenty of Mud folks to help along the way if s*** goes completely awry.
Welp 5 hours out of town it went awry. I clamped the Venturi lines but since the lines were so old they just split open on an uphill. Utterly terrifying, the troopy actually pushed me and everyone else back in their seats, 30psi… disconnected wastegate and limped it to a autopart store, got some fuel line and it’s been holding.
B85D428E-80DD-4979-9400-E8BEEBF9FD48.jpeg

0C77FE12-1D39-41EA-9F38-8C6D0FB84060.jpeg

You're lucky to live in Wilmington for such a long time and make good friends who will go out and share the adventure before you guys head off to work/college and all the stress adult life has to offer.
Yea insanely lucky to live in such a cool town, at the beach, with a dad who loves cruisers and some dope friends who are willing to do this and not wimp out on it.
Let me know if there's anything I can do to help in the Austin area! Good Luck!
Thank you!!! Don’t know if we will be heading thru Texas but if we change the route or our minds I’ll let you know 👍
Enjoy the trip and keep up good team spirir!
Looking forward to nice pics and stories. You guys are doing the right thing: Go get some adventures and create fond memories to last.
Stay safe, all the rest will eventually work out.
Day 3 and we are in great spirits, even the one who is usually grumpy is even in a good mood. Whatever happens will happen, just gotta play it out and see.
They have a bigger pit crew than some NASCAR teams. 😁
Quite the crew indeed, more than half of us are decently mechanically inclined and the other can change a tire… maybe.
Nice. Have a great trip dudes....

When in doubt, pull out!!
Thank you!

Wish I could get pics off of the real camera, havent had enough time. Phone pics for now. Met up with this guy Nick from Instagram to stay at his place in Nashville, he’s an audio engineer and took us to his studio. Very very very nice and cool place, middle of the woods 20 min out of Nashville. Taylor Swift, Darius Rucker, Asking Alexandria, Dolly Parton, and many others have recorded albums there. We got to meet the guy who wrote Mr. Brightside who also happens to be Dolly Parton’s manager. Also said he met Dave Grohl the other day there. Just a really cool place. Also he owns a 100 series went back and played music with him and his roommates.

Hello,

Have a good trip.

The Troopie is a reliable ride. It will not let you down. If something happens, it will hold until you can get help/assistance.

Juan
I know, only concern is the $50 junkyard Saab turbo that I’ve put jerry rigged together. That will be the highest failure point, the turbo is helping out immensely though.
You've got help in AZ... reach out if you need anything.

Have fun!
Really appreciate it! We are gonna be around the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, and Sedona. I’ll let you know if something decided to explode around there

AE4C5C52-9C6B-4338-AC43-C1674591F13B.jpeg
45E30EEB-8DEB-4DFE-962B-459E2E89BCC6.jpeg
FEA557E7-2FD7-4228-9F5B-F1F79AD2E684.jpeg
284816AC-9F57-43EF-A6C4-7D776C20486C.jpeg

EEC169C9-153C-4AB3-891F-574105AA2F2B.jpeg

Y’all have gone a relatively short distance and have already had quite the adventure. I look forward to seeing what the rest of the trip has to offer. 👍

Welp 5 hours out of town it went awry. I clamped the Venturi lines but since the lines were so old they just split open on an uphill. Utterly terrifying, the troopy actually pushed me and everyone else back in their seats, 30psi… disconnected wastegate and limped it to a autopart store, got some fuel line and it’s been holding.
View attachment 2696090
View attachment 2696091

Yea insanely lucky to live in such a cool town, at the beach, with a dad who loves cruisers and some dope friends who are willing to do this and not wimp out on it.

Thank you!!! Don’t know if we will be heading thru Texas but if we change the route or our minds I’ll let you know 👍

Day 3 and we are in great spirits, even the one who is usually grumpy is even in a good mood. Whatever happens will happen, just gotta play it out and see.

Quite the crew indeed, more than half of us are decently mechanically inclined and the other can change a tire… maybe.

Thank you!
I don't have those lines on my 3BII. I have heard people talk of vacum lines to the IP to help control something to do with fueling and the purpose of the venturi. My 3BII has a venturi, but it has no effect at all on the fuel pump and there are no vacum lines to the pump. Sort of like toyota just kept using those parts because they had them on the shelf. Good you got it running easy. Nice pics.

It's late, real late. Don't know when I'll have stable connection again so here's a quick rundown and spam of pictures from the past couple of days. Made it to Denver in 5 days and have been staying with the Troopy's PO and his wonderful family for a couple days. Absolutely amazing people. Seen ALOT of stuff, most notable was the troopy actually made it up the highest road in North America at Mt. Evans. Just keep chugging along with it and it eventually got there. Brings me to the bad thing, altitude and the crazy heat is not making the troops water temps happy, EGTs never go over 1100 even if you try but on those long uphill, at high altitude, when its still 90f out, is a major slow down on the troopy so I don't overheat it, really don't wanna overheat it... Either way, I'm just sticking off the highways and pulling off and letting people pass while I can, also turned the fuel down some which helped some I think? It still gets pretty hot pretty fast. I've never once had my cooling system give me troubles until we hit 4000-5000ft and it was still 90f out. I'm used to NC and even in the summer our mountains at 5000ft only get up to 60-70. Also met up with @gilmorneau such a nice and clean troopy, honored I was able to see it. Should be in Moab in 2-3 days. I'll try to keep this thread updated, I'm just driving all the time since we hit altitude cause now driving it is a balance of the right speed, gear, EGTs, water temp, and just paying attention to the road all at once. Anyways hopefully yall like these some, I'll have more in the future.
DSC_0783.jpg
EDS_0175.jpg
EDS_0299.jpg
EDS_0446.jpg
EDS_0900.jpg

Have fun guys. Hey sorry we weren't able to coordinate schedules and meet up last night. This whole moving fiasco is taking all my time up and having us drive all over!

Yeah you will find altitude sucks major horsepower and stresses cooling systems here. The over 90 temps sure haven't been helping at all here. You've got the right idea, take it slow, pull over and enjoy. More people used to be more patient when driving the mountains here, but not with the influx of all the out of staters moving in, the dynamics are changing.

You can adjust that fuel back up once you get lower altitude again.

does the PO live in boulder?

I'm the owner previous to the PO, and yes I'm in Boulder, but the PO (from whom @theglobb bought it) is Denver-ish.

I had the pleasure of meeting @theglobb and crew the other night when they passed through Boulder--great group! We chatted about Landcruisers and road trips while their dinner got cold. lol..

Just for the nostalgia, here's a photo of the same two Troopies circa 2018:

IMG_5435.jpg

I'm the owner previous to the PO, and yes I'm in Boulder, but the PO (from whom @theglobb bought it) is Denver-ish.

I had the pleasure of meeting @theglobb and crew the other night when they passed through Boulder--great group! We chatted about Landcruisers and road trips while their dinner got cold. lol..

View attachment 2701530
i see you driving all over town. im in the built silver 200 series. Also, i think i bought an OEM 70 series snorkel off you for the BJ74 that was mentioned in here.

I see you driving all over town. Also, i think i bought an OEM 70 series snorkel off you for the BJ74
Yup, that's me.

BTW, received word today that @theglobb and company are in Moab.

Made it to Moab, the combo of 5000 some ft in elevation, 105-degree heat, and uphills made the 3B very unhappy, have routed the windshield squirter to the front of the radiator and spray it on uphills, actually keeps the water temps in check. Still, even with that we have to pull over a lot just to prevent it from overheating. Never had an issue with heat down at sea level before, also probably has something to do with my cheap turbo build. Regardless its making it and we hit some trails, we cant travel across the country and not go wheeling in Moab. I'll send some videos if I have enough connection, barely able to upload the photos right now haha. Soon as the sun goes down and the temp drops 20 some degrees the troopy performs phenomenally and doesn't get anywhere near 215. Wildfire at Moab is sad, but makes for epic photos, when we left it was pretty controlled thankfully. Also, have gotten some sick drone shots but haven't had enough connection to upload them either. Sorry for the lack of documenting, might make a separate thread just for this and go over/review everything that happened once I'm back home. Hopefully, this will post. In Bluff/Blanding, right now. Gonna check out Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods, and maybe make it to the Grand Canyon today if we got enough time.

EDS_0595.jpg
EDS_0584.jpg
EDS_0811.jpg
temp_image_for_default_share-2.jpg
temp_image_for_default_share.jpg

I love your adventure! Let me know if you need any help in Utah. From one 3B owner to another.
Appreciate it! Going into Salt Lake in probably a week and a half, if you want to meet up let me know!

View attachment 2701530
Love this photo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are a few videos of Moab, wanted to do trails, but not enough to break anything. With all that low-end torque the 3B has it would crawl up anything, also VERY glad I got that new beefy rear bumper as you will see below. A bit of paint being scratched off the trailer hitch was all the damage done :) 👍

Made it to Moab, the combo of 5000 some ft in elevation, 105-degree heat, and uphills made the 3B very unhappy, have routed the windshield squirter to the front of the radiator and spray it on uphills, actually keeps the water temps in check. Still, even with that we have to pull over a lot just to prevent it from overheating. Never had an issue with heat down at sea level before, also probably has something to do with my cheap turbo build. Regardless its making it and we hit some trails, we cant travel across the country and not go wheeling in Moab. I'll send some videos if I have enough connection, barely able to upload the photos right now haha. Soon as the sun goes down and the temp drops 20 some degrees the troopy performs phenomenally and doesn't get anywhere near 215. Wildfire at Moab is sad, but makes for epic photos, when we left it was pretty controlled thankfully. Also, have gotten some sick drone shots but haven't had enough connection to upload them either. Sorry for the lack of documenting, might make a separate thread just for this and go over/review everything that happened once I'm back home. Hopefully, this will post. In Bluff/Blanding, right now. Gonna check out Monument Valley, Valley of the Gods, and maybe make it to the Grand Canyon today if we got enough time.
Sorry I missed this! You caught me at the corner by T&H in Moab yesterday (fj60), called me out on the PA (I didn't hear what was said), loved seeing the Troopy on an adventure! I was taken by surprise and was headed home after a day in deep grass training my crew about working in hot weather (😁 it's a desert). If you had followed me, I would have encouraged you all to get drunk and derailed your adventure while inspiring all the crazy trails here. Damnit! I'd have loved the story, reading it now. I regret not waving with the MUD greeting, that might have been funny..😄
(icons not working)
Thanks for the comrade! Wish i was with you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom