The LX Camper Build Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks! It’s actually not mounted to the floor. The mat is really sticky and it’s somewhat heavy so it doesn’t slide around.

It also doesn’t have a lot of room to slide (half inch on all sides) so even in a really fast and sharp corner it should be fine.

If you get into an accident, not having that thing mounted could turn it into a deadly projectile. +1 on looking into finding a way to secure it.

If you get into an accident, not having that thing mounted could turn it into a deadly projectile. +1 on looking into finding a way to secure it.

So the 3rd panel that sits on top of the platform (the one I slide onto the rear seats when turning it into camper mode) is the size of the entire cargo area. With the rear seats up it seems impossible for it, or anything underneath, to become a projectile that could move forward past the rear seats when they are up. And I never drive in "camper" mode. However, anything sitting on top could of course be a problem that I've been thinking about.

I've been interested in getting something like this, but I need it to "fold up" against the ceiling so I can sleep underneath. This should address any projectile concerns, and allow me more flexibility in packing. Does anyone know if something like that exists?

1600105482889.png

So the 3rd panel that sits on top of the platform (the one I slide onto the rear seats when turning it into camper mode) is the size of the entire cargo area. With the rear seats up it seems impossible for it, or anything underneath, to become a projectile that could move forward past the rear seats when they are up. And I never drive in "camper" mode. However, anything sitting on top could of course be a problem that I've been thinking about.

I've been interested in getting something like this, but I need it to "fold up" against the ceiling so I can sleep underneath. This should address any projectile concerns, and allow me more flexibility in packing. Does anyone know if something like that exists?

View attachment 2435642
Which barrier is that?

Really great info @TeCKis300 , thanks!

One reason I've been considering this is simply because I'm pretty new to this. And also quite risk averse. I recently turned around on a trail because I just wasn't confident enough. A guy in a Land Rover LR3 (which I think has lower clearance than the LX) quite easily did the trail, so I could have probably made it too, but I just wasn't having a whole lot of fun worrying about all that I might break.

New wheels (Icon Vector 5) and one-size-up tires (Falken P285/70/R17) are coming soon. Slee sliders soon after. Hopefully that'll be enough to get me going for a while and I can hold off on skid plates. :)

If your ever not sure of something don't do it. The guy in the Land Rover might have had more experience. Really good drivers can do amazing things with minimal effort and what looks like nerves of stupid steel. It's just experience like anything else. Don't be shy when you are out and about. Ask for help navigating something if someone is around. Chances are you will have more help than you wanted. I've never met someone not willing to help me when needed. Get out and drive more your confidence will increase along with your driving. Join a group make some new friends. I love the 4x4 community because it really is about sharing knowledge and learning. If you only have driven on black top it can be very intimidating when you start. Sounds like you have a great ride to start with!

The sliders before armor is my personal preference for how I drive. I don't rock crawl. If you get into a boulder field yes get armor. The sliders protect a very expensive area. The doors and the frame around the doors. Just a little tweak in that area is going to cost more than breaking the drive shaft. Especially on the 200 LC platform. You can navigate or even move obstacles that might hit your rear differential. Heck you can use the slider to "slider" across some things with ease.

Even if you have an unlimited budget take the upgrades slow. You might build a great looking rig only to find it looks good but doesn't work for you at all. Bolt that bed/storage area down. Use the third row seat anchor point on the floor. You might have to remove or cut the floor mat. A U bolt or two will work.

..Don't be shy when you are out and about. Ask for help navigating something if someone is around. Chances are you will have more help than you wanted. I've never met someone not willing to help me when needed...

Except for Heep guys, they aren't as friendly as Yota guys lol

So for the FrontRunner it'd be:

[Thule Motion Rooftop Box]
[Thule AeroBlades]
[FrontRunner Thule Adapters]
[FrontRunner Slimline II Roof Rack]
[Car]​
I think I got this right. It's kind of elaborate, but the Thule Motion is a great rooftop box and this seems like the official way to make it work on a flat tray style roof rack.

So I checked out the Thule while I was at REI, and now I understand the "recessed feet".

I don't see why a Thule won't fit on the stock Prinsu bars without any kind of adapters. The recessed front and rear of the box will fall below the crossbars and most of the box will sit flat. Allow me to demonstrate:

White = prinsu
Red = Thule

ABCBB05E-7539-4CC2-9C5C-EC122FA1E484.jpeg

So I checked out the Thule while I was at REI, and now I understand the "recessed feet".

I don't see why a Thule won't fit on the stock Prinsu bars without any kind of adapters. The recessed front and rear of the box will fall below the crossbars and most of the box will sit flat. Allow me to demonstrate:

White = prinsu
Red = Thule

View attachment 2443573
1600881953179.png

Thanks for thinking along here. I imagined it more like this.

However, perhaps it's possible to just leave off all the cross bars that get in the way? Though this thing is very long and you might have to leave off almost all cross bars?

ahh, I didn't catch that the center had a section like that as well. Which model are you looking at?

Yes, you could also remove the crossbars that are in the way. None of them are required except the front one to hold the wind fairing.

\
1600884404671.png

Last edited:
Ah yes, the one I ended up getting is the Thule Motion XT (XL). Which has a slide lock mechanism that people apparently really like. Due to covid I wasn't able to try any boxes (pickup only) but looking at that Force, that might be a better idea with the flatter middle part. Oh well.

It's currently sitting on the factory rails, and it works perfectly. It's the maximum size that still allows you to fully open the rear. As you can see in this video this box is quite long. I might have to remove so many cross bars there is no point in getting a Prinsu or FrontRunner (or go with the Thule adaptor solution).

I'm tempted to just not bother with a roof rack, but they do look really cool, and I'm tempted to get an awning. And the FrontRunner table insert looks really helpful for camping as well.

Oh here is good video comparing the two boxes:

Last edited:
Ah yes, the one I ended up getting is the Thule Motion XT (XL). Which has a slide lock mechanism that people apparently really like. Due to covid I wasn't able to try any boxes (pickup only) but looking at that Force, that might be a better idea with the flatter middle part. Oh well.

It's currently sitting on the factory rails, and it works perfectly. It's the maximum size that still allows you to fully open the rear. As you can see in this video this box is quite long. I might have to remove so many cross bars there is no point in getting a Prinsu or FrontRunner (or go with the Thule adaptor solution).

I'm tempted to just not bother with a roof rack, but they do look really cool, and I'm tempted to get an awning. And the FrontRunner table insert looks really helpful for camping as well.

Oh here is good video comparing the two boxes:

I have the Rhino Rack Pioneer tray that is 84x49. The rails run the direction of travel so front to rear rather than left to right like Prinsu. I love the way it looks. I just purchased a Thule Motion XT XL thinking it may attach to the rail supports, which are below the main rails and run left->right. No joy. The Rhino Rack crossbars were stocked out all across town and I needed to travel. So I called me local overland shop (Lolo Overland) to see if they had any ideas. They suggested the uni-strut nuts from home depot (always in stock) in the 3/8 or 1/4 variety (1/2 is too big for the Rhino Rack slats) and then bolt on some steel tube. This was easy and cheap. It's nice to know where I can find the specialized nuts I needed for the slides. I'm not sure how Front Runner is oriented so it may be a different story. Also, with a roof rack, you can fit the XXL (21[?] cf) since you can attach the case further forward. The picture below is the XT XL.
thule case.jpg

1602395165069.png

1602393260934.png

2 updates:
  • Thule Motion XT XL. I needed to make a decision and this one was available, and the size maxes out what can fit on this car (with stock roof bars). I'll deal with any hassle from a potential future new Thule/FR/Rhino roof rack later.
  • Icon Vector 5 + Falken Wildpeak P285/70/R17. The wheels finally came in. I ordered the Falkens at the local Discount Tire, and had them move over the TPMS sensors from the stock rims as well. Getting the spare on turned out to be a problem but was possible after removing the entire chain.
I really wanted P (SL) rated tires for extra road-trip comfort, instead of the LT (E) Rated ones that are more stiff. I realize I'm at higher risk of a puncture, but after a few trails on road tires without any issues I think I might be ok. I did get this tire repair kit in case I get unlucky.

I think they look great, no extra noise, and the ride is nice. Though I expected the ride to be softer than the stock 20 inch road tires, but it's not that different. This might be a PSI thing: the tire shop inflated the tires to 37 PSI all around. @gaijin any chance you could tell me if I should deflate more? TIA!

Next up: Slee Slidersteps, which are on their way.

Last edited:
Btw these tires, in spite of just being "1 size up" definitely cause a bit of rubbing in sharp corners. I'll take off the mud flaps, which should take care of this problem:

1602394465490.png
1602394262545.png

But what is this thing?
1602394558996.png

I could take off the little square (what is it for?) but clearly it also rubs right above it. Is this something I should purchase a heat gun for?

Here's what you'll need to do

View attachment 2462016
  • Icon Vector 5 + Falken Wildpeak P285/70/R17.
I think they look great, no extra noise, and the ride is nice. Though I expected the ride to be softer than the stock 20 inch road tires, but it's not that different. This might be a PSI thing: the tire shop inflated the tires to 37 PSI all around. @gaijin any chance you could tell me if I should deflate more? TIA!

It certainly is a "PSI thing."

The Recommended Cold Tire Inflation Pressure (RCTIP) for those P285/70R17 tires on your LX570 is 26psi F/R.

Enjoy your new, softer ride.

HTH

But what is this thing?

Unscrew that nonsense. It's for "aerodynamics" 😂

It's also extremely easy to move the liner forward like the instructions above.

Installed our fiberglass roof box to my prinsu in ten minutes. Ran plastic boxes for years but hated the flex with wind gusts. I suggest an alternate like Packasport or similar, they work awesome on Prinsu.
IMG_2508.JPG

Installed our fiberglass roof box to my prinsu in ten minutes. Ran plastic boxes for years but hated the flex with wind gusts. I suggest an alternate like Packasport or similar, they work awesome on Prinsu. View attachment 2463269

I always thought it would be cool to glue a flexible solar panel to one of those (or Packasport) because they are wider than the usual Thule / Yakima boxes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom