Builds The Journey Begins... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey Doug,

Did you ever find a solution to the A/C hose issue? I am in the process of gathering bits for mine to get it ready for the summer. I have yet to talk to an A/C shop about fab work. I thought I had read in yours or Dons thread about a different pump that fits in the stock location but accepts different hose assemblies?

Any help is appreciated.

clint

Hi Clint,

When I found my engine it did not have AC on it. I found a guy selling the compressor and mounts from a 4BD1. Everything went well until I needed the hose manifold on the back of the compressor. Isuzu used something weird...No luck in finding anything to fit and you had to buy $300 hoses from Isuzu to get the manifold...So plan B.

I found a gas NPR at Pick a Part, it looked real close and had a common manifold. But the mounting tabs were off about a little, so I modified them to fit.

Nice thing about the new compressor is it's designed for 134 and I had already changed the 60 over.

If I were you and looking for the parts, start looking for that style compressor, one with a common manifold and make some mounts.

Randy (FJ55 or close) here on mud has an AC shop (CoolStream?) in Arizona and I have bought parts from him for my 60. I'd ask him what he recommends. Give him some ideas on how the hoses need to mount and their ideal direction and he can find a good compressor.

The rest of my system is stock 60 with a R134 conversion drier and it works really well.

I'll take some pictures of my setup if you want, let me know.

Doug

Doug,

The pics would be great! I was able to find the compressor that was posted in Dons thread. Looks to be a Sanden 709 style. I am going to go to NAPA tomorrow and dig.

Sorry for the dumb question but was is a common manifold? Not sure I follow you there!

Also did you mod anything to get the compressor to turn on? I read somewhere that I neded an amplifier from an FJ62 to bypass the stock 60 wiring? does this sound correct? From there its just plug and play?

Clint

Hey,

I think your idea of what Don used is good, but would talk to Randy also.

Some compressors have a detachable plate (manifold) where the hoses connect. This connection comes in all sorts of locations and angles. Best to find the easiest to use. NAPA has a great book that lists all the compressors and their manifolds/hose connections. It also has their mounts, find the Isuzu and find one a similar one that suits your needs. I already had mine when I found this book, it would have saved me some effort IMHO.

To turn on the compressor, I swapped out the gas AC amplifier for a diesel model. Diesels amplifiers are hard to come by, but I found out later you can use the amplifier from a 62 series to make it work.

Yes, Plug and play from there.

I will get some shots tomorrow and post them.

Doug

doug720 said:
Hey,

I think your idea of what Don used is good, but would talk to Randy also.

Some compressors have a detachable plate (manifold) where the hoses connect. This connection comes in all sorts of locations and angles. Best to find the easiest to use. NAPA has a great book that lists all the compressors and their manifolds/hose connections. It also has their mounts, find the Isuzu and find one a similar one that suits your needs. I already had mine when I found this book, it would have saved me some effort IMHO.

To turn on the compressor, I swapped out the gas AC amplifier for a diesel model. Diesels amplifiers are hard to come by, but I found out later you can use the amplifier from a 62 series to make it work.

Yes, Plug and play from there.

I will get some shots tomorrow and post them.

Doug

Ok that makes sense on the manifold. I was digging around and it looks like you can buy just the manifold portion for some compressors online. I am wondering (not likely i am sure) to maybe just be able to replace that.

My brother in law recommended Rex as well. I will try contacting him and see what he has to say.

Also i picked up the 62 ac amplifier last year I just need to remember where I put it! Ok so I am at least half way to a/c! Never had it operational before. Can't wait for it to quit raining here and warm up so I can use it.

Clint

Clint,

Here's a few pictures. Not much room and lousy angles make it hard to show too much.

Let me know if you want something specific.

Doug
006 (2).jpg
003 (2).jpg
004 (2).jpg

A couple more pictures that hardly show anything, sorry. I may have to remove the splash guards and try again.

Doug
008.jpg
005 (2).jpg

Hey Doug

Thank you for the pics. Between yours and Dons I think I got it dialed. I didn't get the chance today to make calls but I did get the compressor narrowed down and am working on the fittings.

Clint

You could always cut the aluminum part of the lines near the compressor, get a #8 and a #10 aluminum AN flare fitting and have them tig welded on.

From there on out for all the lines you can buy $6 & $7 fittings, both flare or "O" ring style that will fit every fitting in your A/C system. Any angle too.
Half a dozen $6 fittings, some lengths of #6 and #10 hose, and some clamps and you can make ALL of your hoses for $75 in materials.

Classic air has the fittings near the end of the cattalog.
You can download the perfect fit components catalog here:
Classic Auto Air - Air Conditioning & Heating for 70’s & Older Cars & Trucks.

Almost forgot, you can get in line style R134 ports and put them in your hoses where the run up top of the radiator or in front of the engine or anywhere you want forr easy access.

If you go with the Sanden 709 that I used, it uses the standard cheap o-ring fittings that FL Cruiser is speaking of. I think all of my fittings and hose cost me about $50 and then you can just cut to length and take to an A/C shop and have them crimp them in place.

Don

Doug,

Hey what is the adapter size you used on the Isuzu power steering pump? I am building a new pressure line for mine so I can get rid of my leaking FJ62 line, and I have all the other threads figured out except that one. Could you post up what that one is and also where you got your fittings? Online I hope.

Thanks,

Don

Don,

The fitting was odd ball BSNP if I remember right. I took the part to Earls here local and they matched the size up. I think the Isuzu part is in my parts box, if it is I will go by and have them match it up and let you know.

On the steering box, the fittings are a weird metric size and someone here on Mud posted a place here in Socal that had the fittings for like $10. Do a search, something to do with a power steering shop.

Doug

Ok, thanks Doug. I had found all the threads that listed the sizes for the box fittings, but that pressure line on the pump is definitely not a common one. If it is hard to find, I will just end up brazing an AN fitting onto one of the Isuzu hard lines and get it done that way. I'm sure that Isuzu fitting is metric because my FJ62 line fit perfectly.

Thanks,

Don

P.S. I just measured the fitting going into the Isuzu pump and it is exactly the same as the pressure line on the steering box. 16mm x 1.5 pitch inverted flare. I just brazed up an adapter to 6AN and that should simplify things for the future.

Last edited:
WOW......Just clicked thru this whole thread.......you did an awesome job, it looks really good, now for some questions, I've been researching swapping out my tired 2f, I'm torn between vortec and diesel....I have an nv4500 that I've had for quite some time sitting in the shop, probably looking at going with a 4 inch lift and shackle reversal to end up with 32 or 33 inch tires....20 mpg sounds good....I saw a few pages back someone else asked about some video and I'd really like to see some too.....driving shot from inside and out maybe a walk around showing the tricks you learned along the way......Outstanding swap...I see what to shoot for......I want mine to act like it was spose to be in there whatever route I choose to go.....any input is appreciated......
Thanks
Monty

I have been having a few AC issues and started another thread, but thought I should post it here also as I discovered a few new things today about how to control our AC systems. I also describe my hybrid Toyota/Isuzu AC system.

Doug

New Thread:

Diesel AC Amplifier Red Knob Adjustment? I am using a 12v diesel AC amplifier from a HJ or BJ60 I sourced in Canada.

Recently, I was having an intermittent AC issue and found the AC amplifier connection was loose...easy fix.

But while I was there I removed the AC amp board and cleaned all the connections. That is when I saw the Red Knob! I remember seeing this when I did my swap, but promptly forgot about it.

What does this knob do? Mine is adjusted about 75-85% towards the clockwise stop.

Any advice? Does it work the same a gas model for compressor clutch engagement rpm adjustment?

Thanks

Doug
Attached Images
attachment.php

Dougal
Forum Lifer

AC amplifiers are just thermostat control to stop the AC evaporator icing up. I'm guessing that's a temperature adjustment, it may be fine adjust or it could have a decent range.

I'd stick a thermometer in a vent, run the ac on full noise and see what impact the adjuster has. Mark it's original position with a paint pen first.

Dougal, thanks for info on amplifier, I will try those ideas. But. my AC issue is getting more involved.

I thought I had a bad connection at the amplifier, no too easy.

General info:

1) System is a combo - All stock Toyota FJ60, except for:
A - Isuzu 134 compressor
B - Custom hoses
C- Toyota 60 series diesel AC amplifier

2) System was professionally vacuumed and filled with R134
A - Receiver was a year old and had been running 134

Here's the symptoms:

1) When AC is first turned on, all is good. Cold air and no issues.
A - Big pipe at firewall is nice and cold
B - Little pipe at firewall is warm
C - Good flow at receiver glass window

2) After a few minutes, warm air only and no power to compressor clutch.
A - AC dash light is on
B - Big pipe at firewall is warm
C - Little pipe at firewall is warm
D - No change if parked, moving or 65 MPH
E - Clutch will not engage unless engine has been off for a long time
F - I can jump compressor with 12v and it will run and be cold

I have been reading the FSM and see all sorts of possible issues; expansion valve, too much or too little refrigerant, thermistor, pressure switch, etc, etc. But none reference an intermittent clutch engagement?

I'm lost. Any suggestions

Thanks

Doug

https://forum.ih8mud.com/members/davegonz.html
Keeping it Weird

Garage

Here I though that the AC amplifier increased the RPMs when the AC clutch engages. So you're saying it's only a control board for over pressure and temperature switches?

"Machete" 1979 FJ40 from South America-SOA, 35's, 4x4 Labs Frombe Hi-Steer
Ghosts:1993 FZJ80 White, 1993 FZJ80 Green, 1991 4BTJ62 "Princess", 2000 UZJ100 "Penny"

**The Best Thread on MUD** Saving The Old Rustbucket--My 1982 FJ40 Tale
Weird Austin Land Cruiser Society
CRUISERHEAD SHIRTS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom