Builds LQ4 in 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ-60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Str8Razor

SILVER Star
Threads
This is my 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ60, The swap consists of complete drivetrain replacement with the following LQ4 with a Z06 cam, the motor came from BD Engines, It's also getting a NV4500 and a NP 205 transfer case, as well as a Currie 9" rear with 35 spline axles and ARB air locker,Old Man Emu 4" lift. For the process it was easiest and most beneficial to take it down to the bare frame and start back fresh.....My buddies shop TMX Motorsports is doing the work....

This is what we started with, I have had the truck for 10+ years but it ran like s*** so it has been sitting for a while....

I pulled it down to my buddies shop
IMG_20130510_150757_zpse21907fe.jpg

This is what we started with
20130624_160815_zpsa5296df5.jpg

Here is the LQ4
20130624_160746_zps070f42e9.jpg

Here is the NV4500 and NP205
20130506_145426_zps826db433.jpg

Here is the 9" from Currie Enterprises

20130730_171931_zps0eacd5ca.jpg

Tired Old Junk
20130624_160836_zps17bca79f.jpg

Start of the Tear Down
IMG_20130624_191301_zpsf5d82187.jpg

IMG_20130624_191242_zps11ccf198.jpg

Old Junk Coming Out
20130625_170207_zpsade7cc89.jpg

20130625_170243_zps234ec52c.jpg

Front End Rebuilt 4.11 Gears and Lift Installed
Photo269_zps3aa122f6.jpg

Photo268_zps1eeffd3a.jpg

Motor Trans & Transfer Case Mocked Up Body Starting To Come Off
20130804_172238_zps2664ec24.jpg

Body Coming Off
20130804_180405_zps38cd3caa.jpg

Cross Member Fab Work
Photo314_zps38d03804.jpg

Photo313_zpsff8a3364.jpg

Took the stock crossmember mounts and moved them...
Photo322_zpse72db7cd.jpg

Photo321_zps4cf7dd7e.jpg

Finished Crossmember
Photo334_zpsab640f60.jpg

Installed Needs Final Welding
Photo329_zps0bb90b44.jpg

Paint Booth
20130831_161015_zps9e27c358-1.jpg

20130831_163623_zps29abdfdc.jpg

Awaiting Re-Assembly
Photo345_zpsc6e32410.jpg

Fuel Supply going together...
Photo349_zps8a45e956.jpg

This is where it sits as of today waiting on some small pieces, parts, changing oil pan and pickup to a camaro for clearance, got camaro manifolds...there are some other pictures that I need to include so I will be editing as needed...feel free to critique I can always use a good idea to 2, things that I am stuck on right now, adapters to make factory sending units work in the LQ4, I have found some that are close to what I need but not exact...they may end up being sacrificed and re-tapped to metric threads.......I have a little to learn about a/c and what it's going to take to make it work.... Should move pretty good, has a Z06 cam in it and a 4.11 gear...Can't wait to have it done....will update as progress is made, This forum and LS1TECH have been a huge help...
Thanks
Let her rip....

It looks like you're not taking shortcuts with this, good. Better to do a non-purist swap well then opposite in my opinion.

That's pretty darned cool.

The backgrounds to some of the pics are fantastic- the lathe, for example... and the unsecured acetylene bottle...

I am quite jealous of your transmission choice- if ya gonna have a truck, have a truck transmission, ya!

Love it!

t

Sweet... another blue cruiser getting a new beginning .... Looking good !!!!

That's pretty darned cool.

The backgrounds to some of the pics are fantastic- ... the unsecured acetylene bottle...

t

There's an extinguisher next to it, so it's ok :hillbilly:

Very nice work, Sharp-as-a-marble ;)

Forgot to add this jewel....getting stuff done.....spanish windlass for the win...
20130803_163206_zpse3c59fa6.jpg

well done - interested in following its progress :cheers:

Marbles,

Nice work! Everything looks right on the money.

Let me ask about your fuel setup. I have a 5.3 from Brian, also. I used an in tank pump and the corvette reg./filter, too.

What are the other two pump and filter?, in front of the reg.

Good Job!

Damn man, that is going to be awesome when complete!

Question. Why did you go with a fabricated 9" as opposed to a cheaper (but as strong if not stronger) option, such as a shaved 14 bolt?

Just to update....been waiting on clutch parts, got the run around on what would work but finally got everything assembled and installed today....moving on to exhaust and then the body will go back on, and put the rear end in...I went with a 9'' for strength looks and weight, I have dealt with currie enterprises before and they are top notch operation, you get what you pay for, I wanted to stay with 6 lug axles as well, I have a set of tons that probably could have gone in but I wanted to keep a more refined feel ...hence the air locker and staying sprung under....I will get some more pix up as progress develops....video and donuts upon completion...

Marbles,

Nice work! Everything looks right on the money.

Let me ask about your fuel setup. I have a 5.3 from Brian, also. I used an in tank pump and the corvette reg./filter, too.

What are the other two pump and filter?, in front of the reg.

Good Job!

Yup it goes in order from back to front, pre filter, pump, filter/regulator,with return line, my engine does not have a return line on it...

Good looking build, only advice I have is to highly reconsider the z06 cam, it's going to make it a dog in the low rpm and i doubt your building this to take to the track/strip. Comp sells a really nice off the shelf grind thats a 212/218 on a 114 lsa that would be perfect in there. I would even leave the stock lq4 cam in there before i threw the zo6 cam in

subscribed!

Next summer I'll be doing something similar- BD vortec + NV4500 + ATLAS4. Do you need any kind of adapter to pair the NV4500 with the vortec?

subscribed!

Next summer I'll be doing something similar- BD vortec + NV4500 + ATLAS4. Do you need any kind of adapter to pair the NV4500 with the vortec?
Go through Advance Adapters for your clutch and flywheel, I didn't and got the wrong stuff the first time I bought it, the stack up height was wrong and the clutch fork bottomed out on the back of the bellhousing prior to engaging the pressure plate....It took me three weeks of waiting on seperate parts that I thought would work but wouldn't, AA has the flywheel custom made or makes it themself but I couldn't find any identifying numbers on it to cross reference a source to get it cheaper...That being said Centerforce pressure plates are made by LUK....If anyone needs the parts that don't work for this swap,I have them.....hopefully I can get rid of them at ls1 tech...
Let her rip......

Good looking build, only advice I have is to highly reconsider the z06 cam, it's going to make it a dog in the low rpm and i doubt your building this to take to the track/strip. Comp sells a really nice off the shelf grind thats a 212/218 on a 114 lsa that would be perfect in there. I would even leave the stock lq4 cam in there before i threw the zo6 cam in
Hindsight is 20/20, the Z06 cam is already installed...I don't think it's gonna make much difference in comparison to the 2F....If it's that bad I will change it but something tells me it's gonna put a smile on my face when I smash the skinny petal.....4.11 and 33's should be geared pretty low and help to spin that motor up quick to make up for any lack of torque.....I'll put those cam numbers in the back of my head and research later if the need arises, thx for the heads up!!
Let her rip......

How are you doing with this build?

It's coming along, I have had a few distractions along the way, moving, 12+ hour shifts at work etc.. but slowly progressing....been working on shifter linkage for the xfer case and it's just about done, had to move the hole for the transmission shifter as well, found a little bit of rust on the rear passenger side wheel well so cut that out and welded in new metal about a 2''x4'' section... should have the doghouse back on before long and hopefully will crank it up in the not too distant future....I have been taking pics of progress and will update the thread as another milestone approaches....
Let her rip.....

I'm not raggin, just curious, why not just buy a Tahoe? Why such a complete swap, the axles, transfer etc were no good? They usually hold up to sbc and even bb chevys fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom