The Coleman Thread (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Being a 242 frame would explain why it looks like it's installed backwards. That design has a lot more forging vs. stamping, and subsequently burns a lot more efficiently.

I think the 242 lanterns got maximum fuel economy at something like 14-16hrs of continuous runtime compared to a mix and match of other lanterns. The heavy forged castings absorb a lot of heat from the mantle, vaporizing the fuel completely for a very clean burn, combined with only having one mantle and a very small needle valve orifice.

With the big fount that's on it, it could likely burn for 20-24hrs...

Picked this up for $50 this weekend - based on Ebay it was a More than Fair Price.
1977 - Appears only Middle burner was used 1X.

Gave it a once over, and will be using it Memorial Day in MI, when I take our 3 & 5 yr olds Canoeing
Someday it will be Theirs.

Refurbing them each a Lantern and Have them tore Apart and Tanks were Powder Coated Black.
I will post up some pics when they are done and hopefully they run. I also have intentions of making them Cases.

View attachment 2676219
awesome score and awesome heirlooms you're planning for the kids!

Close Friend of Mine has a Few in his Basement - Sorry, if you already seen this.

Coleman Collection Pic 2.JPG
Coleman Collection Pic  1.JPG

This is neat Too:
Coleman 200A Diagram.jpg

I thought that lantern collection was crazy... then I noticed they're 3 deep on that shelf!

There is a sickness worse than LandCruisers...

We're going tent camping at Chincoteague later this month so I decided to totally clean and start my Coleman 502-700 Sportster stove. It runs great. Forgot how great a perc'd pot of coffee tasted.
a.jpg

b.jpg

As an engineer by trade I tend to be methodical, at least I try to be.
Here's my camp coffee recipe with guaranteed reproducible results:

Given the following conditions:
  • Coleman 502-700 Sportster stove or equivalent
  • GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Steel Percolator Coffee Pot
  • 64 oz water, 70F
  • Ambient conditions, 70F
  • 5 standard coffee measures (5x29.5ml) of regular grind drip coffee
    • Yeah I knkow the pundits say it should be finer ground but I go by what I can get at any corner grocery or park store
Brewing procedure:
  1. Load the pot with 64oz water, perc tube and brew basket BUT do NOT add the coffee yet
  2. Start the burner full on and place the pot on the burner
  3. Bring the pot to a hard perc; this should be about 20 min on a 502-700 with 70F water; obviously longer if it's colder.
    1. Doing it this way saves time and separates the water heating and brewing processes
  4. Take the percolator off the burner
  5. Turn the burner back to very low
  6. Put a standard coffee filter into the brew basket; you can punch an almost perfect hole in it using your thumb and the top of the perc tube
  7. Load the coffee into the percolator's brew basket
  8. If you can, try and get the basket's top screen and the coffee filter pinched between the side of the brew basket
    1. Do this and you will have NO coffee grounds in your coffee
  9. Place the pot back on the burner and set the burner flame low so it percs GENTLY
  10. Brewing should take 15 minutes max. Less if you like weaker coffee
ENJOY!

EDIT: I just realized there's a camp coffee thread! I should have posted there. ARRRRGH.

Last edited:
As an engineer by trade I tend to be methodical, at least I try to be.
Here's my camp coffee recipe with guaranteed reproducible results:

Given the following conditions:
  • Coleman 502-700 Sportster stove or equivalent
  • GSI Outdoors Glacier Stainless Steel Percolator Coffee Pot
  • 64 oz water, 70F
  • Ambient conditions, 70F
  • 5 standard coffee measures (5x29.5ml) of regular grind drip coffee
    • Yeah I knkow the pundits say it should be finer ground but I go by what I can get at any corner grocery or park store
Brewing procedure:
  1. Load the pot with 64oz water, perc tube and brew basket BUT do NOT add the coffee yet
  2. Start the burner full on and place the pot on the burner
  3. Bring the pot to a hard perc; this should be about 20 min on a 502-700 with 70F water; obviously longer if it's colder.
    1. Doing it this way saves time and separates the water heating and brewing processes
  4. Take the percolator off the burner
  5. Turn the burner back to very low
  6. Put a standard coffee filter into the brew basket; you can punch an almost perfect hole in it using your thumb and the top of the perc tube
  7. Load the coffee into the percolator's brew basket
  8. If you can, try and get the basket's top screen and the coffee filter pinched between the side of the brew basket
    1. Do this and you will have NO coffee grounds in your coffee
  9. Place the pot back on the burner and set the burner flame low so it percs GENTLY
  10. Brewing should take 15 minutes max. Less if you like weaker coffee
ENJOY!

EDIT: I just realized there's a camp coffee thread! I should have posted there. ARRRRGH.
I love and support all of this, save the perc. 😉

Definitely repost in the camp coffee thread! 🤙

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with these old Coleman heaters? Thinking about picking one up that looks to be in serviceable shape....I know nothing about them...other than I don’t have one.

View attachment 2726015
They are ok. Dont expect a huge amount of heat. They dont nake any noise and you MUST start them outside. Buy one and have fun with it, they can be had cheap.

@Skniper I’d say get it, I’ve used that heater and it gets the job done.

AND…as @Braden620 said never start it up inside a tent.

@Skniper I’d say get it, I’ve used that heater and it gets the job done.

AND…as @Braden620 said never start it up inside a tent.
FWIW, it’s not the one in the photo, that’s a restored one I lifted the photo off eBay.
The heater I found is crusty like most of these we find, but looks solid and complete and reasonable $.

Assuming this needs to be used in a well ventilated space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom