Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40 (21 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gosh Rick.... don’t know how I missed this (tree damage 😕 ) but awful thankful you/family missed it too!!!
Mighty glad you’re OK.......

Update on the vacuum gauge installation.

IMG_5079.jpg

IMG_5078.jpg

Hey Rick, That stinks about the house sorry, I didn't know. Glad everyone is OK!

I know money for you is no object :) I found something else for you to add to your cool 40.
On a 1980 I have: Dakota Digital instruments;
and updated steering wheel wrap

DSC00891.JPG

DSC00890.JPG

Next up, the suspension, wheels and tire upgrade. I ordered the OME 2.5" lift, a Warn Winch cover and a set of stock steelies. I Had the stock rims widened out to 9" to hold the new 33X12.50X15 Goodyear Duratrac's. What a major appearance change this made to my 40.

View attachment 998690

View attachment 998691

View attachment 998692

Rick,

Are you happy with your 2.5” OME lift? Is it the light or heavy version? Do you have any rubbing in the rear? Did you go with OME shocks? I am getting ready to order a lift and would appreciate your opinions. Thanks

Steve

Rick,

Are you happy with your 2.5” OME lift? Is it the light or heavy version? Do you have any rubbing in the rear? Did you go with OME shocks? I am getting ready to order a lift and would appreciate your opinions. Thanks

Steve
what he ^ asked.

I am happy with the light 2.5" OME lift I've installed, including their shocks. No rubbing with my rim and tire combo.

If I changed anything, I might switch the shocks to the Bilstein units....but that is splitting hairs at this point.

GA, as others have said, super clean 40 and well thought out modifications/maintenance to it. I'm only half way into your build, but it looks great thus far.

It's always fun trying to undo a previous owner's (or mostly multiple POs) "modifications" to a 40+ yr old vehicle. I'm still learning what's correct and what's not on my 40. Removed/changed out quite a few things already on my 40 that either don't belong or are incorrect.

Question- on your air cleaning housing pictured below, there's a hose that connects to it (near the firewall). Where does the other end of this hose connect? On my '76 40, I just noticed the previous owner ran this hose from that port, around the side of the air cleaner housing (hose lays somewhat across the battery) and connects to the port on the front side of the air cleaner housing (where your port appears plugged).

Not sure why the PO ran this hose as such, as I've never seen another one done this way. Thoughts?

View attachment 1514481

View attachment 1514485

Again, super clean engine!

I am happy with the light 2.5" OME lift I've installed, including their shocks. No rubbing with my rim and tire combo.

If I changed anything, I might switch the shocks to the Bilstein units....but that is splitting hairs at this point.
Why would you go with the Blistein shocks? Thanks Rick.

Question- on your air cleaning housing pictured below, there's a hose that connects to it (near the firewall). Where does the other end of this hose connect? On my '76 40, I just noticed the previous owner ran this hose from that port, around the side of the air cleaner housing (hose lays somewhat across the battery) and connects to the port on the front side of the air cleaner housing (where your port appears plugged).

Not sure why the PO ran this hose as such, as I've never seen another one done this way. Thoughts?

I believe the hose you are asking about is the one that goes from the air cleaner to the valve cover breather port. Toyota ventilation hose No. 3, part number 90910-05101.

Does the below photo help?

IMG_4158.jpg

Ah yes, I see now. That helps a lot. Thank you for the part # too. I knew my setup didn't look quite right.

I'm going to look at the valve cover port tonight and see what's coming off of it. The port on the front of your air cleaner is plugged yes? Or does it have a small hole in the plug?

Ah yes, I see now. That helps a lot. Thank you for the part # too. I knew my setup didn't look quite right.

I'm going to look at the valve cover port tonight and see what's coming off of it. The port on the front of your air cleaner is plugged yes? Or does it have a small hole in the plug?

The front port on the air cleaner is plugged/capped.

One last question about hoses if you don’t mind. Thankfully, I’ve managed to correctly reroute a few already. The one highlighted in green below...where does it connect?

4927CB36-E9ED-43CA-92CD-35FED5D224E8.jpeg

Last edited:
One last question about hoses if you don’t mind. Thankfully, I’ve managed to correctly reroute a few already. The one highlighted in green below...where does it connect?

View attachment 2024643

@GA Architect, I noticed you have the factory heart riser tube and manifold off the exhaust intact. Are those components factory of is that something you made?

I am looking for the portion that bolts to my exhaust manifold.

Thanks

View attachment 2024643

That is the PCV hose, goes from the PCV to the intake manifold.
IMG_3985.jpg

IMG_5162.jpg

@GA Architect, I noticed you have the factory heart riser tube and manifold off the exhaust intact. Are those components factory of is that something you made?

I am looking for the portion that bolts to my exhaust manifold.

Thanks

That is the OEM exhaust manifold heat insulator 17167-61011.

The riser tube/hose is a Gates Flexible air duct hose 55MMX500MM - 7743-00555, I ordered from England.

Did I miss a reply about the Bilstein shocks versus the OMEs?

Did I miss a reply about the Bilstein shocks versus the OMEs?

I installed the OME shocks because I ordered a full kit. Really didn't put too much thought into the shocks at that time.

If I had a choice between the two shocks, I'd choose the Bilstein. With them possibly being equal, I like the brushed/pitted stainless look in lieu of the yellow. Personal preference only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom