Builds The Architect's '77 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A few weeks ago, it really got cold here in GA. After looking at a few threads about heather boxes, I tried my hand at it. All the threads I read had removed the heater box and core. Well, I didn't want to drain my coolant to remove the core, so I set out to see if I could remove the heater box and leave the core.....OH my, am I glad I tried this. Yes, I was able to remove the heater box and leave the core hooked up. I cleaned the box, reapplied foam, took my air hose and blew out the heater core, and reinstalled.....Much nicer look and more heat! Well as much heat as the CCOT small hose that sits behind my rigs CCOT AC unit. Matter of fact, I'm going to address that small blower to heater box hose here soon. I've used my CAD to come up with the schematics on a new hose similar to the elusive L200 OEM piece.

Before photos:
View attachment 998747
View attachment 998749
View attachment 998753

After:
View attachment 998750
View attachment 998751
It does get cold in GA! I used to live in Helen. Sure is beautiful out there. And what about those guidestones!?
Awesome thread.

A few weeks ago, it really got cold here in GA. After looking at a few threads about heather boxes, I tried my hand at it. All the threads I read had removed the heater box and core. Well, I didn't want to drain my coolant to remove the core, so I set out to see if I could remove the heater box and leave the core.....OH my, am I glad I tried this. Yes, I was able to remove the heater box and leave the core hooked up. I cleaned the box, reapplied foam, took my air hose and blew out the heater core, and reinstalled.....Much nicer look and more heat! Well as much heat as the CCOT small hose that sits behind my rigs CCOT AC unit. Matter of fact, I'm going to address that small blower to heater box hose here soon. I've used my CAD to come up with the schematics on a new hose similar to the elusive L200 OEM piece.

Before photos:
View attachment 998747
View attachment 998749
View attachment 998753

After:
View attachment 998750
View attachment 998751
It does get cold in GA! I used to live in Helen. Sure is beautiful out there. And what about those guidestones!?
Awesome thread.

Awesome thread.

Would you post this at least one more time! :hillbilly:

I'll just throw a word of caution out there on this distributor swap business. A long time ago, I had a stock 77 FJ40 and it needed a tuneup.
I replaced points, plugs and condenser and then set the timing to factory and cranked down the dizzy hold down clamp..wish it was the end of story, but alas, when I cranked down the clamp, it cracked in two behind the dizzy so I did not see it. A week later on a long drive with a vehicle full of kids, the Cruiser started lurching and bucking and acting like fuel pump wasn't keeping up. 50 miles from nowhere, I learned that there was ZERO oil pressure and an engine that was severely damaged.:cry: The dizzy had walked it's way up and that nice flat tang at the bottom that drives the oil pump didn't anymore..so the whole engine got pretty toasted due to lack of lubrication...:bang:. Thus began my journey to the dark side with a V8 conversion.:hillbilly: Sad but true story, so keep a wary eye on the condition of the hold down clamp!!! I've seen not a few of the OEM clamp on other's rigs cracked since then and I hope to save a few others from a similar fate as mine..remember, if you can't be good for anything else, at least be a good Bad example!!

:cheers:

Yes, za' hold down clamp....check

IMG_4287.jpg
IMG_4287.jpg

I haven't pulled a vacuum reading on my rig in a while, so after I went for an evening drive last night, pulled out the tester. The engine seems happy with about a 19 -Hg, sweet.

Waiting for my Weeeeebay vacuum meter to come in so I can install it on the dash. Installation will be flush mounted in one of the existing OEM holes, using these items below.

Rick, please link the source for the ‘no mods needed’ vacuum guage. It would make my life a lot easier if more people had these BEFORE they started asking engine questions.

X2 ^^^

Rick, please link the source for the ‘no mods needed’ vacuum guage. It would make my life a lot easier if more people had these BEFORE they started asking engine questions.

I just ordered this 2" Vacuum Gauge on the Bay > Click here < ....me eye sight isn't what it used too be, thus the larger 2" unit!

The brass hose fitting > Click here < or > Click here <

The large metal washers were obtained from HD and the neoprene washers (1.5" OD x .5" ID) were punched out of some random stuff I have. The thin neoprene washer will go directly behind the gauge against the dash, and the thicker one will be used behind the dash to take up the slack between the dash, washers & hose fitting.

Plan will be to use the larger dash plug location for this gauge.

As soon as I get the notion, I'll make this happen and write it up. May go ahead and install the 1.5" vacuum gauge this weekend just to see how it does.

Even better! You will be the guinea pig! I look forward to both the short and long term evaluations.

Back in the '80s and '90s I used to recommend and install Stewart Warner gauges. But after they moved overseas and the quality tanked, I've just told customers to get whatever they can.

Even better! You will be the guinea pig! I look forward to both the short and long term evaluations.

Back in the '80s and '90s I used to recommend and install Stewart Warner gauges. But after they moved overseas and the quality tanked, I've just told customers to get whatever they can.

Spent some time in the shop this evening....decided it was time to make this vacuum gauge installation happen. My first thought after the install, it doesn't look so bad on the dash, I can live with it. So here are some pics.

For a very inexpensive gauge, it seemed to work during my test run in the shop. Now let's see how durable this little unit will be.

Note about durability, I did drop one of these gauges and the dang thing sits at 5 -Hg sitting on the bench, trashed it.....So I'm not too confident about the durability, but I do have the neoprene washers installed for some protection. None the less, time will tell.

Unloading some office stuff this morning, thought it looked good under the street lamp and decided to take a few pics.

IMG_4668.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4666.jpg

Note, it's about time for an oil change....come Saturday, I'll spend some quality time in the shop. :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom