Builds The 60 known as Mamabear: a tale of rust and good times. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Normal perfect work vehicle. 800 lbs of stuff in here right now. Working the heavy springs.

7E6456C8-AF1E-480C-9063-23BC1871BF11.jpeg

3E6CBC0B-405C-4DD6-94A4-EA6D11911291.jpeg

CD3D252C-F477-46B3-A7B0-BCFD08D58302.jpeg

I’m chasing exhaust leaks again.

Over this last trip, the exhaust leaks started again. The loudest one was easily the flange to manifold. The actual stud came loose. I added copper RTV to keep the gasket in place and installed new studs.

Then the leak moved to the manifold to head face. I swear that this exhaust manifold is warped.

Also; my heat riser flap has completely fallen apart. The set screws fell out, the flap is laying in the exhaust area and the shaft moves freely. It’s a controllable leak.

I’ve got a new manifold gasket, a riser block off plate from cruiser outfitters and I’ll hit that up this weekend with a new intake manifold combo from @houstonfj40

This will fix it to the best of my ability, but long term the days on the 2F are numbered. I’ve paid my dues.

4890F3A2-705B-478A-A95F-3B68B0CBA238.jpeg

1E889C8F-80D0-4711-A563-EDEFF424BF75.jpeg

DD1B1235-9E0C-4DD3-8FF0-E18D029AC3E5.jpeg

“Days are numbered” meaning what exactly??? Don’t forget your allegiance to tractor-dom Alex.

I caved, and dropped my new spare intake manifold off at the machine shop for surfacing.

I’m trying to practice what I preach, and do it for one time and be done.

I caved, and dropped my new spare intake manifold off at the machine shop for surfacing.

I’m trying to practice what I preach, and do it for one time and be done.
Let me know how it turns out, I’m looking for a place.

@CruiserTrash saved my hide with overnight bolts from Colorado and now I can drop them off tomorrow for them to get the planing started.

I don’t want to do this whole operation, but I had to do it all right.

-new intake/exhaust set machined
-remflex gasket
-cruiser outfitters block off
- @mattressking built carb to get the s***ty Racer off
-finally proper 12mm carb nuts vs the 13mm from the hw store
-recently replaced all the manifold hardware

This should be the last major 2F upkeep I have to do.

I’m debating about deleting the heat flap since that’s what is mainly broken on this current exhaust manifold.

A complete lovely hole in the wall. Fair prices.

699829A3-692D-4555-BDF1-968268B2FE95.jpeg

@HemiAlex I didn't even think about it but I have four OEM carb nuts still in the bag sitting here. I should have sent those.

When I build my "perfect" manifold set, I'm going to have the heat riser flap hole - where the shaft goes through on either side - threaded and plugged. Somebody on here did that and it sounds like it worked great for them. I wish I could find that post again. Anyway, something to consider.

n the equipment is older than jim n he can operate them with his eyes closed right? places like that are rapidly dying away
He's the real deal. Luckily he is training an apprentice so should be around for longer

Manifold is ready for install. Fingers and toes crossed.

Going over my parts and supplies for tomorrow.

3C7C6E97-BFE2-4668-AE27-86B5A44650BA.jpeg

This was a fun one. The heat flap fell apart. It was mostly blocking the two center cylinders, the shaft was falling out and causing a few exhaust leaks.

The new manifold is on with no major issues. I did make a huge mistake and put the throttle linkage on backwards and got a really high idle. A tech support call from @CruiserTrash fixed us up. He’s a gem.

The 2F is truly a great motor. It will continually run with semi major stuff broken and not complain or hurt itself.

But now that it’s leak free, it’s really running nicely. I’ll get it to temp tomorrow and tune the carb with a gauge and let it eat.

CAB3E2CA-64A7-4770-8425-00A5AE9EC734.jpeg

5754142E-00ED-436A-B11F-5BBDF4D41B39.jpeg

@HemiAlex I need a better photo of the EGR plate and the 90* brass elbow on the intake manifold please!

I bought a set of 70 series 42601-60262-03 wheels for $160 locally many years ago. Came from a Saudi troopy. Actually a buddy messaged me @klinetime574 that they were on Facebook, and then another friend sold them to me for the same price he snatched them up for plus a few big oil filters @FJ62DadWagon

I’ve got some great friends.

I just developed a slow leak in one of them. Looks like some of the rust from my truck made it to the wheel. Is wheel patina a things?

I’m going to buy a new wheel for a spare and make a coffee table out of this one. Or something like that.

3CE2CF77-E92D-4A5D-9645-9F513568A03C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom