Finally! A seat at the 60 table. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve lusted over them since I was 14/15 years old. Now an arms reach of 53, finally got one that was within my budget.

Speedometer don’t work.
Previous rust repairs where it was cut and patches welded on then painted over.
Won’t drive past 35-40 mph - just cuts out almost like it’s got no fuel.
Rust starting to develop in usual areas, but I think to the point it can still be sanded off.

Yet, purring down the road at 30 mph still puts a teenage grin on my face.

EA6D34DA-EC85-4114-B246-376298458ACA.jpeg

16F0F1C4-D226-4430-ABF9-1E9F8C7B7F26.jpeg

9B5A73EF-1529-4D3C-865F-F64624624A47.jpeg

4D1CFF07-24A4-4ED9-976A-9CF2B6109B5D.jpeg

Welcome! I had the same dream, only I was lucky enough to find one at 16!

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?

Speedometer runs off of a cable.

If you take the gage cluster off you might be able to see if the cable is actually turning or not.

Have you checked for vacuum leaks?
LOL. Lucky!

Barely could afford my Alva fish board back then.

Yeah, no vac leaks. At least none I could find spot spraying the carb cleaner. I know there are more ways to check….

Just brought her home two nights ago.

Planned on checking plugs and dizzy tomorrow, and ordering a new fuel pump and filter.

Speedometer runs off of a cable.

If you take the gage cluster off you might be able to see if the cable is actually turning or not.
Yeah, I came across a couple of past posts here regarding the matter. Trying to source a new one. Looking at the t-case the cable looks to be original. So probably time for a new one anyway.

Was this recently for sale in San Francisco? Welcome aboard. The most frustrating thing about them could be getting them to pass smog. Besides that they are reliable and they do like to drink.

Was this recently for sale in San Francisco? Welcome aboard. The most frustrating thing about them could be getting them to pass smog. Besides that they are reliable and they do like to drink.
Yes, it was out of SF. I wondered when someone here would ask. lol. Were you one of his inquiries?

Yes, it was out of SF. I wondered when someone here would ask. lol. Were you one of his inquiries?
Smog.

Just for kicks I called my local go-to muffler shop whom I’ve taken all my family members cars to in the past, and got a quote of $1,000 on up for a new CAT!

Wow.

Last edited:
Smog.

Just for kicks I called my local go-to muffler shop whom I’ve taken all my family members cars to in the past, and got a quote of $1,000 on up for a new CAT!

Wow.
Martinez in COCo county? I never saw that one, was it on CL? Welcome to MUD.

Martinez. Yes, Contra Costa County. The rig was on FB marketplace. Thanks!
Is it just the CAT you need or you need the rest of the exhaust pipes? Call Delta muffler in Pittsburg just to see what they would quote you and we use this shop in Hayward called Mission mufflers.

Is it just the CAT you need or you need the rest of the exhaust pipes? Call Delta muffler in Pittsburg just to see what they would quote you and we use this shop in Hayward called Mission mufflers.
Oh, still trouble shooting the source. Will check them out if it turns out to be that. Thanks!

Have you checked for vacuum leak?
I don't think vacuum leak would make it go 30 mph, go back to chat. :rofl:
Did you loosen the exhaust flange? Is the carb gummed up? @DonBScurd

I had the same dream, I have it, but it's still not drivable !

I don't think vacuum leak would make it go 30 mph, go back to chat. :rofl:
Did you loosen the exhaust flange? Is the carb gummed up? @DonBScurd
We’re in the processing of moving. So unfortunately it has to be parked (off street) but outside. One of the first things I bought was a quality truck cover. It’s been raining so I’ve had limited time to play under the hood.

Only thing I was able to do was inspect the condition of the vac hoses. I need an emissions book so I can make sure everything is where it should be. Noticed a couple of lines not connected to anything, yet not plugged. Will post photos tomorrow sometime.

I plan to check the fuel pump and make sure it’s OEM. Check the carb, plugs, and dizzy.

It looks like previous owner replaced the gas tank and pump. Not sure if it was to resolve this issue and they were unsuccessful. Not answering my calls anymore. LMAO.

It’s all good. I knew going into this it was going to be an ADVENTURE.

I saw it but if I brought another one home the Mrs wouldn't be too happy. I didn't inquire.
I literally refreshed my screen and saw it pop up. At that time he had it listed at $6500. Immediately made contact and tried to set up a time to come by. But seller was slow to respond. Real busy guy.

After a few message exchanges and a couple hours go by, price jumps to $8500!

I practically had to renew my vows in so many different words, add a few new vows, and explain to her you don’t find 60’s with a smog certificate at that price, just to soften my wife to the idea of $6500. A penny more wasn’t gonna fly.

So for a minute I assumed I’d lost it.

A day and a half later, for whatever reason, seller went back to his original price.

Turns out to be this guy with some money who picked it up last October from a couple of young LC enthusiasts in San Jose. Said he wanted to have one as a toy. Doesn’t wrench. But had hoped he could find a shop in the neighborhood to “fix it for him”. No shop would touch it. Lmao. New generation of mechanics I guess.

At that point the thing sat in his garage for 3 months till he finally found time to face reality and gave up the dream.

Last edited:
I literally refreshed my screen and saw it pop up. At that time he had it listed at $6500. Immediately made contact and tried to set up a time to come by. But seller was slow to respond. Real busy guy.

After a few message exchanges and a couple hours go by, price jumps to $8500!

I practically had to renew my vows in so many different words, add a few new vows, and explain to her you don’t find 60’s with a smog certificate at that price, just to soften my wife to the idea of $6500. A penny more wasn’t gonna fly.

So for a minute I assumed I’d lost it.

A day and a half later, for whatever reason, seller went back to his original price.

Turns out to be this guy with some money who picked it up last October from a couple of young LC enthusiasts in San Jose. Said he wanted to have one as a toy. Doesn’t wrench. But had hoped he could find a shop in the neighborhood to “fix it for him”. No shop would touch it. Lmao. New generation of mechanics I guess.

At that point the thing sat in his garage for 3 months till he finally found time to face reality and gave up the dream.
There's a good shop in the city. He just wasn't looking. The toy shop on geary st.
I just buy and after a while it was "you have to sell something to get another one". Like many of us out there, I just don't have the space. I guess I've been lucky that my wife puts up with me. I do have to thin the heard though.
I think you got a good deal if it's rust free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom