Take 3, the Forever 45- IFS and 1uz-vvti (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

More random little jobs, today, the handbrake.

This was a bit of a head scratcher to begin with, as with the center console I don't have room for a traditional hand brake lever. I was thinking about the pull out type that goes under the dash, but then I noticed that the hand brake out of the lexus looked like it would almost be a perfect fit..... and it was!

Started by making a bracket to hold the hand brake release.

20220624_162908.jpg

20220624_163509.jpg

Then mounted the actual pedal part to the side of the trans tunnel
20220624_165817.jpg

Now just need to connect it to hand brake cables that I left in place on the rear axle

Still wiring the loom. Can't believe how big a job this is. But I'm glad I'm doing it myself. This way I know exactly where everything is, and I know its getting done right.
Been through 10 rolls of insulation tape so far, one spool of solder and a complete clipper refill bottle of butane for my soldering iron, and I'm still not done!
20220628_144407.jpg

20220630_154044.jpg

Put the lights in so can run wires to them and be ready to test.
20220629_092557.jpg

And then put the acewell cluster in so I can start wiring that as well
20220630_153533.jpg

I will make a stainless facia plate that will surround the cluster when everything is said and done.
20220630_153542.jpg

Still wiring....

Got the loom out of the cab again so I can starting buttoning it all up and taping it all together. At this point I'm about 95% of the way there. Hopefully tomorrow I can put it all back I'm the cab, connect a battery, test the whole loom and start the inevitable troubleshooting.
20220706_164310.jpg

Also made the starting panel. From the left, ACC, IGN and START. All wired up properly with soldered joints and a toyot pig tail. Not your average POs hack job!!

20220705_105228.jpg

20220705_105218.jpg

Still wiring...

Just chasing down those last little jobs before I put the loom back in.

Accessories panel including AC blower speed switch. Plenty of spares here too for future.
20220707_112749.jpg

Got the hazard switch mounted and wired too. Also put the radio in place to check it all still lines up
20220707_133051.jpg

Then made up my main battery cables, including a 250a DC fuse for just in case.
20220707_151211.jpg

Tomorrow should be d-day for electrical testing.... hopefully

Well, we have power and nothing went pop or started emitting smoke.
IMG-20220708-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20220708-WA0004.jpeg

Have a weird issue though, maybe someone can help chime in on what it could be to help me narrow down the troubleshooting...

When I put the ACC and IGN on, the EFI relay works as it should. Switch off IGN, it goes off like it should. When I switch off the ACC it's starts clicking like mad. So in theory, when it should be getting no power, it's getting a pulsed signal??

Anyone have any ideas?

Well, after 3 days of troubleshooting, I finally found and fixed my wiring issues. If anyone wants to know about the key interlock solenoid and the key warning switch, and what they have to do with the ECU, just ask :bang:

But now that the wiring is all done, that means I can, in theory, start it. So put some fuel in, made sure I had coolant and oik and everything else was ticked off the check list, and then hit the button......

First attempt brought out slight pin whole in one of my fuel fittings right by the tank. A leak, enough to have to get it fixed, but not enough to stop us from attempt number 2....

It lives!!!! :bounce:

Well, after 3 days of troubleshooting, I finally found and fixed my wiring issues. If anyone wants to know about the key interlock solenoid and the key warning switch, and what they have to do with the ECU, just ask :bang:

But now that the wiring is all done, that means I can, in theory, start it. So put some fuel in, made sure I had coolant and oik and everything else was ticked off the check list, and then hit the button......

First attempt brought out slight pin whole in one of my fuel fittings right by the tank. A leak, enough to have to get it fixed, but not enough to stop us from attempt number 2....

It lives!!!! :bounce:

GREAT WORK!!!! HUGE MILESTONE

GREAT WORK!!!! HUGE MILESTONE
Thanks man. Feels good. For a second there I thought doing all the wiring was a catastrophic mistake, but it's all good now and I couldn't e happier

Odd jobs around the engine bay. Found a vacuum leal on the air intake resonator.
20220715_110911.jpg

That was the lexus POs attempt at a fix.
Cleaned it up
20220715_111525.jpg

Then used some of my knife making epxoy to make sure that pipe never moves again.

20220715_112438.jpg

Then decided to remake my immobiliser key fob again to more closely match what I'm going for with the over all build

20220718_172846.jpg

20220718_172849.jpg

Got the return cooling loop in the power steering system. Should get some nice cool air there
20220718_082123.jpg

Also got my high pressure line installed . It's tight down there but it all works and nothing fouls on anything else.
20220718_082138.jpg

Got my prop shaft back after shortening and servicing. This has been one of my biggest worries in this build and one of the main reasons I put an extra 300mm into the chassis, but I think it's been worth it!
20220721_082848.jpg

And then finally made the mounts for my load tray, so that's bolted down.
20220721_122040.jpg

All I need now is to do the brake system and then we can test drive!!!

You did it , first IFS frame swap 40 series with the front wheel correctly place in the fender ,nice work
Thanks man!!! I'm glad someone noticed, I took a lot of pains to get that right :) including having g to mess with my front bib to allow clearance for my steering box. But I just couldn't bring myself to not get it right. Messed with my eye more than the bib does

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately for me being in the part of the world I am, I'm going to have to make a plan myself, either build my own relocation kit or some other plan. Ordering parts is possible, but seeing as I pay around an 80% premium to import stuff and it takes weeks if not months, I want to exhaust all my options before I resort to that.

On the note of another plan, does anyone know if there is a shorter oil filter that can be used for the uz? I read in a thread that someone found a shorter filter but even with the search function I can't find it again
I remember making my own years ago . Seeing your work so far, I doubt it will be difficult for you to make. It's fairly simple with the right tools.

I remember making my own years ago . Seeing your work so far, I doubt it will be difficult for you to make. It's fairly simple with the right tools.
Thanks, ja, did end up making my own oil filter relocation set up. Working well and no leaks so far!

Well, it goes and stops!

Haha I love it! I also love how you, @Tank5 and I have all been able to get our UZ engines to start/run around the same time! I hope more people will be encouraged to jump on the UZ bandwagon.
haha, ja, for sure! glad its not a race though, @Tank5 is way closer to actually finishing than I am, so are you!

such a good engine. I already had history with mine, which pushed me to use it here, but Im am now 100% on the UZ band wagon

Hearing it start and run brought me the most joy I have gotten out of my project since I started it. Congratulations to both of you on your accomplishments as well!:beer::beer:

Hearing it start and run brought me the most joy I have gotten out of my project since I started it. Congratulations to both of you on your accomplishments as well!:beer::beer:
I know that feeling oh so well! Thanks man

I've had a lot of requests from friends on other platforms to make a youtube video taking an in depth look at the build, so here is part 1. Hope some one enjoys it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom