Suspension Upgrade Options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.engineeredobsolescence.com
So I have looked around the 200 series forum, but am looking for some advice from people that have tried the different OME (Old Man Emu)

I have a 2008 200 series (Actually it is an LX570 but AHC is shot, so will delete) and I am looking to swap in suspension. I am ok with an inch or two lift, but want to keep a fairly smooth ride. I will probably put at least a front steel bumper on it, and potentially some weight in the back, but mostly it is going to be a daily driver and some weekend off-roading. Might do some trailer towing for camping.

Front coils:
  • 2700: Stock/Light Load +1" lift (625 lb/sq inch)
  • 2701: Medium load up to 220 lbs +1" lift. (720 lb/sq inch)
  • 2702: Stock/Light Load +2" lift Lead Option.
  • 2703: Medium load up to 220 lbs +2" lift Harsh without bumper
Rear Shocks
  • 61029 Nitrocharger Sport Shocks (Softer Valving) Length: extended: 24.21 Compressed 14.48
  • 61030 Nitrocharger Sport Shocks (Firmer Valving) Length: extended: 24.21 Compressed 14.48
Softer valving 61029 sounds good, more comfy for daily driving, and off-roading. I wont be pre running Baja with this, more Overland and exploring.
Thoughts and experience on
61029 vs 61030?

Rear coils:

• OME 2720 Coils - Medium Load - Less .75" Lift (Recommend pair with OME-61029 Rear Shocks) (350lbs/sq inch)
  • OME 2721 Coils- Medium Load - No Lift - (Recommend pair with OME-61029 Rear Shocks)
  • OME 2722 Coils - Medium Load +.75" Lift - (Recommend pair with OME-61029 Rear Shocks) 275LBS/IN
  • OME 2723 Coils - Constant 440 lbs. +.75" Lift - (Recommend pair with OME-61030 Rear Shocks)
  • OME 2724 Coils - Constant 880 lbs. -+.75" Lift - (Recommend pair with OME-61030 Rear Shocks)
  • OME 2725 Coils--Constant 1300 lbs. +.75" Lift - (Recommend pair with OME-61030 Rear Shocks)
Leaning towards 2722 2733.

Thoughts and experience with these varying setups?

Wondering which way to lean and pros and cons of rear 61029 vs 61030?

Thanks

IMG_1812.jpeg

Last edited:
To be clear, you are planning to ditch AHC and run with non-KDSS sway bars?

To be clear, you are planning to ditch AHC and run with non-KDSS sway bars?
Yes, will delete AHC totally which is why I am asking for 200 series experience since I am treating the hardware portion of the upgrade as a Land Cruiser, not LX.

To be honest I do not know if I have KDSS or not.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Yes, will delete AHC totally which is why I am asking for 200 series experience since I am treating the hardware portion of the upgrade as a Land Cruiser, not LX.

Thanks,
I don't have much experience with those OME kits but will point out, with the traditional bars you will have more on-road body roll than a LC with KDSS. But it still should work pretty well, and upsizing tires will be easier than if you had the KDSS stuff in the way.

I've been impressed by Slee's knowledge of OME nuances when speaking with them. Might be worth working them for this setup. I just haven't seen much discussion of the different damping profiles of OME's offerings on here to date. But hopefully someone will add that here.

Reactions: CT3
I think you want the OME 2721 or 2722 rear springs. The 2721 a 50% increase in spring rate from the normal 200-series springs, and being a progressive will increase up to 100% when loaded. The 2722 are the same 50% increase in spring rate, but they are linear so the stiffness stops there. 2723 will be too harsh

What's wrong with your AHC and how much will it cost to repair that you'd spend the $ to remove it and move to a (basic, really) LC suspension?

Cruiser Outfitters in Utah and I worked out this solution.

Front shock 91005 is firmer shock strut
Front Coils 2701

For the 61029 v.s. 61030 question

2722 Coils with heavier 61030

Assembled with Tophats
Includes Stoneguards for rear shocks and all hardware.

Added a set of SPC UCAs.

LC200 Specs. For alignment.

looking forward to getting it in hand and on the truck.

To be honest I do not know if I have KDSS or not.

Thanks,

You don’t have KDSS. You’ll need heavier sway bars as the stock LX ones are very thin because AHC compensates for them.

Kurt should be able to source non-KDSS land cruiser swaybars. My guess is that it will be pricey. It’s not a US part.

You don’t have KDSS. You’ll need heavier sway bars as the stock LX ones are very thin because AHC compensates for them.

Kurt should be able to source non-KDSS land cruiser swaybars. My guess is that it will be pricey. It’s not a US part.

Seems to be $650

I'm not certain it's actually available but the part number for a 2013 Aus LC200 without KDSS is 48811-60280 and it is coming up on the US parts sites, at about $290. $147 on partsouq but shipping will definitely add to that.

Note that you'll also need new front sway bar bushings if the diameter of the bar is different. 2x 48815-60250

Part numbers for a US 13 LX and an Aus 13 non-KDSS LC are the same for the rear bar.

I would like to point out, it’s probably more cost effective to replace parts on the ahc and get it working properly. To say it’s shot seems excessive. If you plan on spending the coin and are looking for an ahc upgrade (kings , Radflo etc) then the effort is worth the trouble especially if you ok with all the road manner/comfort compromises.

But for an entry level OME kit you will be in a far better spot with the ahc. Especially, if the rig is a daily driver with little to no aggressive off-roading.

It’s not as simple as the 100 series also the 200 series ahc is a pretty special system. It does so much so well with little compromise. When venturing into aftermarket suspension compromise is the name of the game.

AHC is a pretty robust and reliable system. Sometimes it just needs a little maintenance just like anything else. Most times a simple fluid flush and change of accumulator globes will get you fixed back up like new. And you can do a simple "sensor lift' to get a couple inches higher without having to go through the "downgrade" and high expense of getting rid of AHC.

Here's a simple step by step on how to replace the globes and flush the fluid:

-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom