Rear Suspension (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased a 2013 LC200.

The PO installed BP-51 suspension up front but kept the rear stock.

Im going with OME 2722 rear springs to level load my rig.

I’m probably gonna go with the BP-51 shocks in the rear to match the front, but recently I started to think whether there are more cost friendly options (each BP-51 rear shock is $573) to pair with the OME 2722 springs.

Anyone pair a front bp-51 front suspension with something else in rear? Besides ability to personalize the compression and rebound is there a good non reservoir rear shock that would work well with bp-51 up front? Or should I just buy once and cry once? lol

TIA

I can’t understand why the PO would only do the front unless he didn’t rear and had a leak or other issue and decided to go back to OEM shocks before selling. Are the rear springs upgraded? I’m assuming so…

If you like the BP51 up front, get them for the rear too. You don’t have to use the same brand but overall performance will be tuned similarly if you do. I wouldn’t for instance pair BP51 up front with Ironman FCP in the rear because the dampening is going to be very different.

Reactions: CT3
I can’t understand why the PO would only do the front unless he didn’t rear and had a leak or other issue and decided to go back to OEM shocks before selling. Are the rear springs upgraded? I’m assuming so…

If you like the BP51 up front, get them for the rear too. You don’t have to use the same brand but overall performance will be tuned similarly if you do. I wouldn’t for instance pair BP51 up front with Ironman FCP in the rear because the dampening is going to be very different.
That is something I hadn’t even considered. I assumed the whole rear was stock but you make a good point and I’ll confirm whether or not rear springs are stock. I assumed they were bc of the reverse rake but some ppl like that look so could be by choice. Btw how can I tell if rear springs are stock or not? Is there normally a tag w part number on them?

As far as pairing goes I was considering another type of OME. Something without external reservoir…

That is something I hadn’t even considered. I assumed the whole rear was stock but you make a good point and I’ll confirm whether or not rear springs are stock. I assumed they were bc of the reverse rake but some ppl like that look so could be by choice. Btw how can I tell if rear springs are stock or not? Is there normally a tag w part number on them?

As far as pairing goes I was considering another type of OME. Something without external reservoir…
Factory springs have colored markings on them.

You wouldn’t happen to have a picture of what that looks like would you?
I don’t but I have seen it in the forum and I think someone had posted a chart with color codes at some point. They’re fairly small paint markings, maybe 1”x1” of yellow or purple or green etc on the black springs

I don’t but I have seen it in the forum and I think someone had posted a chart with color codes at some point. They’re fairly small paint markings, maybe 1”x1” of yellow or purple or green etc on the black springs
Thanks. I was able to find that thread.
Also confirmed that my rear springs are stock as are rear shocks.

Something had to go wrong with the rear suspension so it was removed. No one spending the money for a BP-51 front axle is leaving the rear totally stock.

Thank you. Do you know if the stock springs are shorter than the old man emu (OME) springs?

From Slee website these are the specs of the OME rear 2722 springs:
  • Free Heights - (A) 440mm (B) 430mm
  • Spring Rate - 48 N/mm (275 lbf/in)

Also, i just noticed you have OME BP-51 on your 2013. Did you go with the 2722 springs? Most online stores show ~3/4" lift but I've read that actual lift is much more than that...
How much actual lift (in rear) did you get going from stock to OME?

Thank you. Do you know if the stock springs are shorter than the old man emu (OME) springs?

From Slee website these are the specs of the OME rear 2722 springs:
  • Free Heights - (A) 440mm (B) 430mm
  • Spring Rate - 48 N/mm (275 lbf/in)
Yes the 2721 and higher are taller

Edit: spring info below
IMG_4608.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, i just noticed you have OME BP-51 on your 2013. Did you go with the 2722 springs? Most online stores show ~3/4" lift but I've read that actual lift is much more than that...
How much actual lift (in rear) did you get going from stock to OME?
I have Ironman medium duty springs in the rear. They are supposedly 286#/in but have specs which look an awful lot like the ome 2723

Sweet thanks for the chart.
I guess the .8” taller OME springs than stock spring when combined with 100 more lbs/in result in net lift bigger than just 0.8”…
I’m I correct in thought process?
More or less. You can't just go by free length. Spring thickness, number of coil wraps, length all affect the spring rate.

I did a paper comparison of a ton of springs here which will give you an idea. To be fair I don't even understand how springs are truly rated because if you compare the King Springs at the top to the Tough Dog ones you'll see they're the same spec yet they have different load ranges.

More or less. You can't just go by free length. Spring thickness, number of coil wraps, length all affect the spring rate.

I did a paper comparison of a ton of springs here which will give you an idea. To be fair I don't even understand how springs are truly rated because if you compare the King Springs at the top to the Tough Dog ones you'll see they're the same spec yet they have different load ranges.

Dude, you've put some time and thought into this. This is great information! Thank you!

Dude, you've put some time and thought into this. This is great information! Thank you!
You're welcome. Y'all get to benefit by my OCD when it comes to overthinking my build decisions ;)

You're welcome. Y'all get to benefit by my OCD when it comes to overthinking my build decisions ;)
High five? But only if all five fingers hit.. which can be tough, given the thumb's weird positioning and potential for spoiler, so maybe its high four?

I kept stock spring for comfort. I did upgrade both front and rears with Icon coilovers. The rears had a remarkable difference, fronts not soo much in my opinion. It improved handling greatly and ride felt softer but I put more on tires now than on suspension.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom