Recommendation on Suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The stock suspension feels like a boat and doesn’t seem to be smooth over harsh roads in town. Vehicle (2021 HE) is currently stock with stock tires, wouldn’t mind lifting if it will improve the ride.

Any recommendations on a suspension set up that isn’t as floaty and smoother over harsh roads?

Or is the stock suspension as good as it gets?

I'm getting close to 100,000 miles on my 2016 and have ordered a Dobinson IMS kit. I'm not lifting much, just 1.4" in the front and .75 in the back. It will be a few weeks or more as some of the parts are backordered, but I've been really impressed with this setup on my son's 4th gen 4Runner. Here's an image the shop sent me of someone else's install, although they went with 2.5" lift on the front:

IMS.jpg

Our current set is a simple monotube setup from Eibach. We've used them on a number of our sportscars and so far, very happy with them on the Land Cruiser. Feels much more planted around corners and under hard braking, eliminated much of the floating feel.

Bilsteins.

no more floatiness. no more nose dive.

love it
I recently installed these. Around town they are harsher on rough roads etc.. On the highway much smoother. Also noticeably less nose dive and better braking

Overall I'd rate them 8/10 - would prefer a softer ride in town at lower speed

I recently installed these. Around town they are harsher on rough roads etc.. On the highway much smoother. Also noticeably less nose dive and better braking

Overall I'd rate them 8/10 - would prefer a softer ride in town at lower speed
Very interesting. I have 1700 miles on mine. my local roads are very nice here, so maybe my opinion is different.

Around town, only "harshness" compared to my OEM is the rear. I went with the standard rear spring and NOT the HD rear spring, but unloaded definitely I can feel the rear slightly harsher around town.

I had it loaded with 6 people and it rode fantastic. I love the highway feel of being more controlled. Agree on the less nose dive and better braking. Also I corner way harder than most 200 series owner (all life sports car driver), and it feels much more balanced on cornering.

I would say in one word "more controlled." Of course, tires, wheels all play a part in how a vehicle rides.

For the cost, I am very pleased with them. I mean it doesn't come close to my Evo or Elise or a other sports cars in the fleet. But it is much better than my 12 FJC, and is on par with my 14 TTUE FJC with the factory reservoir Bilsteins.

As I wrote on my own thread, my truck went from a LS460 to a GS460 and I am ok with that. It isn't an ISF for sure.

Bilsteins.

love it
Please specify exactly what you changed (a link would be wonderful) as I have an '18 and a '17 that I would like to upgrade but when I google "Bilstein Landcruiser 200" I get an assortment of options. Thanks.

Please specify exactly what you changed (a link would be wonderful) as I have an '18 and a '17 that I would like to upgrade but when I google "Bilstein Landcruiser 200" I get an assortment of options. Thanks.
4 Bilstein Shocks
4 Bilstein Springs

The stock suspension feels like a boat and doesn’t seem to be smooth over harsh roads in town. Vehicle (2021 HE) is currently stock with stock tires, wouldn’t mind lifting if it will improve the ride.

Any recommendations on a suspension set up that isn’t as floaty and smoother over harsh roads?

Or is the stock suspension as good as it gets?

I believe what you're trying to convey and there's some subjectivity to qualitative aspects. At the same time, I think it's important to understand its highly unlikely you'll find a "smoother" setup from the aftermarket unless the suspension is worn out which I doubt on a '21 HE. OEMs are the master of ride quality as part of their priorities. Often, there is some wallowing and floatiness, but with suspensions, there so many trades and it's hard to be everything at once.

The reason I say OEM is the smoothest is because they use the softest spring rates, and spring rates are the first dictator in compliance and ride comfort.
I believe all aftermarket springs will be higher in spring rate, usually significantly so. The other factor is that stock damping force is mild, and usually linear, to ensure ride comfort in lower speed bumps. Similarly, aftermarket shocks tend to have higher damping curves, which can be a detriment to initial compression compliance, but will offer more control to feel more planted.

I'm a proponent of Bilstein shocks added to OEM springs. This will raise damping rates giving more control and less floatiness. The trade as @patpend2000 notes is decreased low speed compliance as the additional compression damping raises the perceived compression compliance. Probably more so with Bilstein's as they tend to use digressive valving (higher low speed damping and lower high speed damping).

I haven't heard much of the Eibach setup on the 200-series as noted from @Supra Turbo . This might be a great opportunity as I believe they tend to walk a great OEM+ balance in their tuning, that I have had in my previous vehicles.

Last edited:
Let me know if you want to connect. Wouldn’t mind seeing your unicorn!

Mine has Bilstein front coilovers and OME progressive coils in the year. Rides excellent, even with the extra weight and ATs.

My wife’s drives much better after adding the Michelins. Ditch the Dunflops at a minimum.

Last edited:
I'm about 6 months into Dobinsons MRR/MRA and have been vey impressed what a difference they made compared to a Tough Dog setup I previously had. IMHO Dobinsons is by far the best bang for the buck out there as far as the remote reservoir options. If remote reservoir is more than you are looking for I have heard the IMS setup is another "best bang for the buck" but in the mid-tier category.

I'm very happy with my Icon Stage 6 CDCV.

It uses digressive valving, so has firmer low-speed damping/plusher high-speed damping, but the knobs make it quite adjustable (noticeably different across the 1-10 range). I like the ability to create a cushier ride for off-road and a firmer ride for highway in seconds.

My Land Cruiser has a good deal of extra weight vs. OEM stock though--which means that a stock vehicle with my suspension set-up would feel significantly different on a bone stock vehicle without a steel ARB front, steel Slee rear tire carrier, LRA, rock rails, and Prinsu.

As far as durability, my Icons have 28k miles on them and I'd rate them as on par quality wise with the Fox and Bilstein suspension setups I have on other vehicles. Premium is premium as I see it.

Bilsteins.

love it
How do these compare to Icons, do you know? Are they digressive?

I'm very happy with my Icon Stage 6 CDCV.

It uses digressive valving, so has firmer low-speed damping/plusher high-speed damping, but the knobs make it quite adjustable (noticeably different across the 1-10 range). I like the ability to create a cushier ride for off-road and a firmer ride for highway in seconds.

My Land Cruiser has a good deal of extra weight vs. OEM stock though--which means that a stock vehicle with my suspension set-up would feel significantly different on a bone stock vehicle without a steel ARB front, steel Slee rear tire carrier, LRA, rock rails, and Prinsu.

As far as durability, my Icons have 28k miles on them and I'd rate them as on par quality wise with the Fox and Bilstein suspension setups I have on other vehicles. Premium is premium as I see it.
I have 100k on my Icons stage 4 (I think 2.5 cdc), one of my rears started to leak. I am bone stock weight minus KO2 tires, Icons valve the rear for armored bumpers from the factory. I am using stock spring. I ordered icon rears again on a 75% off impulse buy but felt like Bilsteins were on my list to compare them to.

do not know about icons on a 200.

i have 2700 miles on my bilsteins, happy as a clam!
Do they come valved from factory for unladen stock vehicle? Do they have any adjustments you can make on the fly?

Do they come valved from factory for unladen stock vehicle? Do they have any adjustments you can make on the fly?
Valved for stock vehicle. NO adjustments on the fly. You can adjust height (but not on the fly). If vehicle is not stock, they have HD springs (which I don't have).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom