Stolen Land Cruisers -- Common Factors (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've always used a "club" on the steering wheel and still currently do on my 80. I once parked near the entrance of a metro stop at 3 pm and got off for 10 minutes to go to the market and when I came out my old Camry was gone. They stripped it from the inside (door panels, seats...). The club wasn't on in this occasion but had it been on, maybe the thief would have been too lazy to take the extra step to cut it off. Will tint the windows in my 80 soon to add an extra layer of privacy at night. Not foolproof but its something. Looking forward to ideas here. I have a 93 LC with no OBDII port. Killswitch? How to thwart car thieves with a $10 killswitch | Hagerty Media - https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/killswitch-thwarts-car-thieves/

I've always used a "club" on the steering wheel and still currently do on my 80. I once parked near the entrance of a metro stop at 3 pm and got off for 10 minutes to go to the market and when I came out my old Camry was gone. They stripped it from the inside (door panels, seats...). The club wasn't on in this occasion but had it been on, maybe the thief would have been too lazy to take the extra step to cut it off. Will tint the windows in my 80 soon to add an extra layer of privacy at night. Not foolproof but its something. Looking forward to ideas here. I have a 93 LC with no OBDII port. Killswitch? How to thwart car thieves with a $10 killswitch | Hagerty Media - https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/killswitch-thwarts-car-thieves/
Reminds me: not for everyone but, tinted windows (mine came stock; did all of them?), dark interior goes a long way. Hard to see a black bag or blanket/sheet through tinted windows on a black or dark gray carpet/cargo box.

I met a couple at Overland Expo East who did extensive travel through Mexico. I noticed they had some security mods done to their truck, and we discussed them.

They indicated that (in Mexico) thieves commonly punch out the door lock, and open the doors with pliers. Or they just smash the windows.

This couple installed expanded steel mesh behind their rear windows, and a literal rod which prevented access to the door locks / handles. The front windows had 3M knockoff clear film which prevented the windows from shattering.

Their work was somewhat crude, but I think both could be implemented more elegantly if someone was very serious about security.

IMG_20181110_104302.jpg

IMG_20181110_115436.jpg

I met a couple at Overland Expo East who did extensive travel through Mexico. I noticed they had some security mods done to their truck, and we discussed them.

They indicated that (in Mexico) thieves commonly punch out the door lock, and open the doors with pliers. Or they just smash the windows.

This couple installed expanded steel mesh behind their rear windows, and a literal rod which prevented access to the door locks / handles. The front windows had 3M knockoff clear film which prevented the windows from shattering.

Their work was somewhat crude, but I think both could be implemented more elegantly if someone was very serious about security.

View attachment 2671377

View attachment 2671378

View attachment 2671377

View attachment 2671378
Another shot:

window-screens.jpg

Found this last night when perusing YT...thought some of the suggestions were good ad lib options if needed, without spending a ton of cash.

Couple days ago i was thinking to install kind of protection on all the windows and here we are…but in that case all the windows need to be protected even windshield:)

I swear we need a true member-only forum for these threads.

I’ve spoke of it prior, bit I guess it’s a PITA to build out.

That said, my bud who manages the auto-mods/stereo & all else - he had my Tundra open & started <20 sec, no damage to my door or ignition - that was 4yrs ago.

Present 200’s/570’s take an app & a laptop - poof, it’s gone.
That one has been around better than 2yrs.

Honestly, rock the steering to lock the column on the keyless entry / starter button gen ‘Yotas.

Aside from grand electronics & dash-cams that are Cloud active / lojack boxes - unattended vehicles are defenseless.

Get a good comp plan on insurance :meh:

Or you could hire these guys...

South-Africa-Robbery-1024x555.jpg

Anyone here ever see or consider OwlCam?

I have way more money than I want to admit into my 1HDT swap 80. I'll be living in it full time again as soon as I get the last bolt tightened. Finding full-comp insurance for the real world value of these vehicles these days seems nearly impossible without heavy mileage restrictions. At least I haven't found one in the US yet.

Most of the discussion here is city-based, as most of daily drive or weekend trip these rigs. I have a slightly different problem.

Fully kitted for living like this makes it a very attractive target for thieves. Living in it full time makes me the alarm system most nights. I usually feel the most vulnerable when I have to grab a hotel for whatever reason. But I do frequently hike and do occasional multi-day treks. Coming back to some of these trailheads and finding the truck gone could end up being life-threatening. The backcountry used to feel pretty safe, but in a Covid/Post-Covid world where everyone is pushing further out I'm not sure anywhere is that safe anymore.

I have a hidden locking kill switch, but who knows how long that would slow a determined thief down. I know a lot of thieves defeated the Club by bringing a spare steering wheel and just removing the whole wheel. Not sure how that works with a live airbag these days.

I've been wondering about a physical immobilizer of some kind. To at least make it a lot harder to drag up onto a trailer or tow away. A pin lock in the parking brake handle, but they could easily cut the cable at the rear axle. They actually make a cop-style wheel boot that you can buy, but they're not designed for these big tired trucks. A chain through the rim to the axle would at least require bolt cutters.

Any other ideas out there?

How sophisticated are these guys? Are they pros or opportunistic tweakers?

If you pulled the fuse for the fuel pump, you think they'd take the time to troubleshoot & figure it out?

With the skyrocketing value of 80s and of off-roading in general, I think a lot of thieves do their homework and target certain vehicles.

With diesels being rare in the US, that helps me out a bit. But the manual transmission means it rolls very easy as soon as the window is kicked in. Hence the idea of the physical immobilizer.

Sorry guys - clubs are worthless.

I don’t even keep up, and without the internet the 2 things I’d have to defeat <30sec.

The bigger picture is which are you trying to slow-down?

-Smash/grab theft?
or
-Total vehicle theft?

-What mitigating methods you use to slow a thief will depend on which group you’re in.

I think they just use bolt cutters to cut the steering wheel when the club is there. I think an immobilizer and a standalone battery gps tracker that is well placed is your best best, especially if not too much time has lapsed.

I have way more money than I want to admit into my 1HDT swap 80. I'll be living in it full time again as soon as I get the last bolt tightened. Finding full-comp insurance for the real world value of these vehicles these days seems nearly impossible without heavy mileage restrictions. At least I haven't found one in the US yet.

Most of the discussion here is city-based, as most of daily drive or weekend trip these rigs. I have a slightly different problem.

Fully kitted for living like this makes it a very attractive target for thieves. Living in it full time makes me the alarm system most nights. I usually feel the most vulnerable when I have to grab a hotel for whatever reason. But I do frequently hike and do occasional multi-day treks. Coming back to some of these trailheads and finding the truck gone could end up being life-threatening. The backcountry used to feel pretty safe, but in a Covid/Post-Covid world where everyone is pushing further out I'm not sure anywhere is that safe anymore.

I have a hidden locking kill switch, but who knows how long that would slow a determined thief down. I know a lot of thieves defeated the Club by bringing a spare steering wheel and just removing the whole wheel. Not sure how that works with a live airbag these days.

I've been wondering about a physical immobilizer of some kind. To at least make it a lot harder to drag up onto a trailer or tow away. A pin lock in the parking brake handle, but they could easily cut the cable at the rear axle. They actually make a cop-style wheel boot that you can buy, but they're not designed for these big tired trucks. A chain through the rim to the axle would at least require bolt cutters.

Any other ideas out there?
Open the hood after you park Unclip or pull coil wire. Close the hood. Repeat process in reverse to start.

My old M715 had a battery cutoff switch hidden under the driver's seat. The PO before me would also use a Club to lock the gas pedal to the wheel or seat frame. I've seen a lot of older heeps use a chain to lock the gas pedal to the seat frame since they are so easy to break into (assuming they even have a top).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom