Stolen Land Cruisers -- Common Factors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yeah but you can't just replicate the signal from the key fobs like on newer cars. Seems to me like a high risk low reward proposition to steal an old LC, but I could be wrong.
Well, we want to make it the other way around, right? As I see it, the problem is that most auto thefts are low-risk because the bad guys are gone in seconds, a minute or two tops if they know what they're doing and there are no unexpected problems. So unless the vehicle can be tracked, they are likely in the clear in a matter of minutes. Even if the cops are on it five minutes later (and I can't tell you how unlikely that is, unless you're in a really small, really tight-knit community, in which case this sh*t probably wouldn't happen anyway)--they're unlikely to intercept unless they're literally around the corner when the call comes in. Assuming a stolen car rates their immediate attention.

So, even if a shrieking alarm goes off the second the glass is broken or the door opened or the vehicle moved--can you competently respond (whatever that means to you) in 60 seconds? From a dead sleep, likely not. From a cafe window seat 50 feet away, maybe.

Given the timeframe involved, your only real option is to make the thing a complete PITA to steal. First of course, make it noisy: that shrieking alarm with its own battery and a hard-to-reach speaker that just won't shut up, even if the vehicle is rolling down the street. Now they have a decision to make: **** this, or continue under the gun, so to speak. They no longer have (potentially) hours before discovery, but seconds. If they can keep calm and carry on, maybe they can pull it off. But the whole neighborhood is gonna be looking their way in under a minute. And if that alarm keeps going while they're rolling, well, that's a problem too.

Now drag out the time required to GET it rolling, which also ups the risk for the thief--especially with that shrieking alarm, which not only attracts attention, but makes an approaching owner or neighbor or cop unlikely to be heard and less likely to be spotted if time is spent trying to shut the alarm up.

Make the vehicle impossible to start (or nearly so) unless you find one or more kill-switches. Might they take the time to look? Sure. With that ever-handy shrieking alarm doing its thing? Probably not. You've shortened their window. For all they know, an armed response is coming. IMO, just about anybody is going to bail at this point. Though they could hang and wait for the owner, intending to force him/her to make it easy for them.

This won't necessarily stop a tow or a slide bed (either of which can be done without getting into the vehicle), but that ever-shrieking alarm (which can also be triggered by the vehicle moving) may discourage it.

Now you need tracking. Just because they stole it, doesn't mean they get to keep it. Some thieves will park a stolen vehicle for a day or three, to make sure it's not LoJacked. Which makes recovery easier.

One POSSIBLE downside of all this, IF the bad guys are determined to steal YOUR vehicle (and not just a SIMILAR vehicle) is that the obvious path of least resistance becomes a gun in your face. Thwarted at thievery, they may turn to armed robbery, or worse. Something to be aware of--particularly if you know of a recent failed attempt to steal your Cruiser. Probably unlikely, but possible.

Now, you could go the other way. Lately in San Francisco, people are leaving their cars unlocked, windows down, trunks open so smash-and-grabbers can see there's nothing worth stealing. (You'll find videos of this on YouTube--and also of thieves just going from one parked car to the next, smashing windows in search of goodies--in broad daylight, in commercial districts no less.) I mean, if you're gonna do that, you may as well take things all the way, leave your home's front door open, credit cards, checkbook, cash and jewelry on the doorstep, right? "Hello, my name's Bob. I'll be your victim today. This is my wife Sally, and these are our children. Welcome."

Maybe that's someone's cup of tea, but it ain't mine.

Last edited:
Find other security threads here:

There are many ways to track your vehicle but the trick is to stop it being taken in the first place, oooor make it findable very quickly indeed!

Fit a tap in one of the brake lines press brake pedal turn tap brake on and one end are locked on, it will be very difficult dragging an 80 down the road with a set of wheels locked, unsure about insurance, I know some are sensitive to this subject so will go no further. But if you need more info Google 'Line lock', I run an electric one to the front wheels on my 1/4 miler Jaguar years back.

One of my favourites is something you can make yourself which is a latching relay. Look it up, you switch on the ignition and use a touch button, or reed switch (my favourite), and the ignition all lights up and you drive off. The moment the ignition is switched off the relay latch releases, the car is now dead until the sequence is run again. The magnet idea is good because the reed (thinner than a matchstick) is glued behind anything the magnetic force can penetrate, it could be right in ftont of the thief and they would never know it, and as the driver you can never forget to set the relay, turning the key off does it for you.

Now how about getting your car back quicker.......really quickly? Again using the latching relat method let's imagine the thief bypasses your ignition which to be honest if they got that far then they have some skills. So they drive off down the road and at a time set by you the fuel pump cuts out, you determine when it would be most inconvenient, perhaps the three minute drive from your home to a busy intersection, the next time the brakes are applied and the timer is active the motor stops, a busy junction, the middle of the road, it matters not, the theif will not be faffing about under the hood trying to get the motor going, and of course the car will be stopped somewhere attracting plenty of attention as the alram is now sounding.

This is easy (read very) and can be made up with very basic skills, and no don't ask me, I lack the patience these days.

Remember this is custom stuff and once you have fitted it you will know how to bypass it even if in the middle of nowhere.

Regards

Dave
So, I follow the first part with the reed switch for the ignition, but... What triggers the time on the fuel cutoff, and what form does that timer take? And if cuts out on a timer, what do the brakes have to do with it? Or do you mean after the timer runs out, the fuel doesn't cut off unless the brakes are used? And if that's the case--why make the brakes part of it, why not just have the timer cut the fuel? I feel like I'm missing something here.

I put on a Viper Smart start on my FZJ80. Really great system paid around $900 installed. Can lock\unlock and start truck with smart phone app and key fob. The other big selling point point was vehicle location tracking with gps\LTE.

Overall functionality has been really good and gives you some reassurance against a theft. I am well aware this would not stop a thief, but at least it will act as a deterrent and I could have a way to track it. I’m also going to hide an air tag it it as a secondary measure.

I think this forum is great and has provided some good solutions on the topic. It even motivated me to put in the viper system.
My issue with the phone control is this: someone gets your phone, they get your rig too. Same if they hack or clone it.

It sucks, but auto theft isn't a violent crime. The MAXIMUM penalty here is 6 months in jail, by law. It's basically shoplifting from Walmart.
Not quite. Google Walmart shoplifter shot. Happens more than you'd think. One of them was trying to make a getaway in a motorized wheelchair when he was shot 9x in side and back, with predictable results. Walmart takes no prisoners. You're better off hitting Louis Vuitton; they just stand there and watch...

What gets your local police force to respond to a stolen vehicle? If your alarm system notifies you that a theft is in progress does a call to 911 get them to come to the scene?

What if your vehicles alarm system doesn't alert the thief that it has been triggered. What if the vehicle is just made to run very poorly when triggered? It starts but stalls when placed in any gear or starts to misfire that it can't get over 5mph? Some of the experiences here have noted that the thief did some investigating into why a vehicle did not start, pulling off the fuse box covers or kick panel. What if the alarm just wastes the thief's time giving the police some time to respond.
I once waited over an hour just for 911 to pick up (Los Angeles), so that would have to be one HIGHLY determined (and incompetent) thief...

So, I follow the first part with the reed switch for the ignition, but... What triggers the time on the fuel cutoff, and what form does that timer take? And if cuts out on a timer, what do the brakes have to do with it? Or do you mean after the timer runs out, the fuel doesn't cut off unless the brakes are used? And if that's the case--why make the brakes part of it, why not just have the timer cut the fuel? I feel like I'm missing something here.
I think you are a little confused here?

The brakes was a consideration and not related to the fuel cut off, it was an additional idea from the 'line loc' and used on my Jaguar for drag racing, I also pointed out that insurance companies may or may not be happy with a brake modification.

The fuel cut off diagram shows the default is NO fuel when the ignition is switched off or on, there is no parasitic draw on the battery this way. The reed sends 12v to the relay which latches itself, the diode (number 2) prevents the cut off solenoid 'seeing' the 12v from the reed switch preventing load and wear on the reed. The diagram I sent you via a PM can be made with or without a timer relay and should have been easy enough to follow? Switching off the ignition whilst jumping out at a petrol station for example cuts the circuit completely, unless you are in the habit of leaving your engine running when popping into the petrol station then there is no way to forget to reset the latch on the relay, you switch off and the system defaults to NO fuel to restart. The issue with a timer on the fuel line can cause an accident so I left it out, if the timer kicked in when you were driving as you forgot to activate the relay the engine could cut out as you were about to cross a junction, not good.

You could fit a timer with a short duration say 20 seconds and your car starts and just gets down the road and the engine cuts out, this leaves your 80 in the middle of the road and found very easily, unless that was enough time to drive it onto a low loader. You can also use the brake light switch to trigger the fuel cut off assuming someone found a way to bypass it, this leave the same scenario, the first application of the brakes cuts the engine, think how many (automatic) cars will not start unless the shifter is in P or N and or the brake pedal has to be pressed.

In short (no pun intended), the thief will almost certainly be your average Joe, the simple system I have designed will take about an hour to figure out, it would mean removing the dashboard lower sections and if the wiring is done as I explained, then you can add on another half an hour removing the seats to access the top of the fuel tank, this thief must really want your 80....or any other car fitted with it.

I know the actual diagram may have looked a bit shaky for which I apologise, but that is the result of the brain surgery, my right side hand/leg are a bit rough at the moment, but the explanation on how it works along with the install instructions should make sense?

Regards

Dave

P. S. — There are some surprising people out there with your vehicle and home or business address information. For example, police cars, tow trucks, buses, garbage trucks, mail trucks, repo men scanning parking lots etc. are in many cases fitted with license plate recognition systems. They suck in thousands of license plates every day, if not every hour, and the information is aggregated by data mining companies. They’re not collecting it to amuse themselves; this information is for sale to anyone who wants it and is able to pay. Data includes license plate number, location, time of day. (So, where you live, where you work, drop your kids off for school, shop (weed or gun store, if that's your thing), where you go to church (or to watch pole-dancers), who you visit or park near and on and on. And on.) How easy it is to correlate that with make, model and color, I do not know. But anyone with access to DMV records can do it all. And DMV records themselves are often for sale. Presumably some of these systems can identify the vehicle simply by its shape, and take photos as well. In California, it has been declared illegal to cover your license plate even in your own driveway, thus preventing you from protecting yourself from such drive-by scans. You’re allowed to throw a cover over the entire car (provided the cover can be easily lifted to view the license plate(!)), but not the license plate alone--making it a PITA for you, in order to make it easy for them. (There was a bill to end this in 2018 (SB 712), but police lobbyists killed it.) And then of course there are ALPRS alongside a growing number of roads. Even if you’re okay with LE using all this, they’re not the ones in charge; they’re just customers of the data mining companies. Such info can and has been used to track people down and kill them; it can certainly be used to help sophisticated thieves steal vehicles. The challenge is to make YOUR vehicle the b*tch of the bunch, so they just move on to the next guy down the list. That applies to dipsh*t and pro thieves alike.

Maybe by crowdsourcing info--doing a little data mining of our own, so to speak--we can at least accomplish that. :)
There is no law in California that disallows you from covering your license plate on private property, your driveway for instance. The California Vehicle Code does not apply on private property except under any one of four possible circumstances: Injury, death (collisions), misdemeanor or felony. None of those four apply. Hell, take the plates off if it's in your driveway. It is illegal to put any kind of cover over your plates if you're on a publicly maintained roadway.

Most vehicle theft is opportunistic. You *CANNOT* prevent organised professional crims/gangs and shouldn't try. The cost-vs-benefit analysis for an old 80 series doesn't stack up.

Parking at home or work off-street is a primary deterent. Making sure no valuables are visible is another. If you pimp any vehicle you make it more of a theft target simply because of it's bling. 80's are not bling-boxes! LX450's might be different, but Lexus badged landcruisers are very rare here on Oz. Might see one Lexus landcruiser for every 200+ real landcruisers.

Making sure windows are up and vehicle is locked when parked anywhere helps.

Note I have no experience with 150/200/300 series landcruisers which are a lot newer and don't know what (if any) anti-theft features are standard on those newer models

Found this last night when perusing YT...thought some of the suggestions were good ad lib options if needed, without spending a ton of cash.

I've been saying this for several years. I have the world's 2nd worst haircut. Stacy David has the worst. Thank you, I'll be here all week. Tip your waitress.

There is no law in California that disallows you from covering your license plate on private property, your driveway for instance. The California Vehicle Code does not apply on private property except under any one of four possible circumstances: Injury, death (collisions), misdemeanor or felony. None of those four apply. Hell, take the plates off if it's in your driveway. It is illegal to put any kind of cover over your plates if you're on a publicly maintained roadway.

Not sure where that comes from. Can't say I've read the whole thing, but I'm not seeing an exception for private property in what I've read of the CA VC. If there were one, that would mean you could cover or remove the plate in any non-state-owned parking lot at any airport or train station or mall or sporting or other entertainment venue, which is clearly not the case.

CA VEHICLE CODE 5201.

(a) License plates, including temporary license plates, shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible...

(c) A covering shall not be used on license plates except as follows:

(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. A peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.

Source:

More on SB 712:

Not sure where that comes from. Can't say I've read the whole thing, but I'm not seeing an exception for private property in what I've read of the CA VC. If there were one, that would mean you could cover or remove the plate in any non-state-owned parking lot at any airport or train station or mall or sporting or other entertainment venue, which is clearly not the case.

CA VEHICLE CODE 5201.

(a) License plates, including temporary license plates, shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the plates from swinging, shall be mounted in a position so as to be clearly visible, and so that the characters are upright and display from left to right, and shall be maintained in a condition so as to be clearly legible...

(c) A covering shall not be used on license plates except as follows:

(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a violation of this subdivision. A peace officer or other regularly salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws, including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.

Source:

More on SB 712:

Well, first off, the "private property" we're discussing is residential private property. There is a difference between residential private property and other kinds of private property such as a mall, parking lot or garage, airport, etc. Under those locations, yes, CVC 5201 would apply. If I was on patrol and happened to see someone operating a motor vehicle on residential private property that didn't have plates displayed I'd probably just wave and keep driving. I couldn't lawfully enter onto that property and cite that person for not displaying license plates on their vehicle. Agreed, 5201 applies in all of your situations noted.

How/why does concealing license/rego plates prevent theft?

@jaymar You might find that if your vehicle is stolen, you may find it better to make sure your plates are very difficult to easily change/remove so that your vehicle can be more easily found from Flock cameras etc.

How/why does concealing license/rego plates prevent theft?
Given all the data brokers who collect plate and location info, and presumably vehicle photos, it's now possible for thieves who want to steal a particular vehicle make/model/year to locate the vehicles in their immediate area without the need to access DMV records or have a cop do it for them. If your plate is not visible when parked at home, then it's not associated with your address. Assuming they're not looking at DMV info. Now, how many sophisticated thieves are looking for old Land Cruisers is another matter. But 40s and 60s are considered classics. 80s are next in line...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom