STOLEN Stolen. Damn. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Valet key won't start it or I'm I wrong. Security systems is a kill switch isn't it?

Having stuff missing, finding so close, indicates car prowling kids. They find open vehicle with stuff, they climb in. Find a key and they drive off.

How did they start it?

Details details details:meh:

Valet key won't start it or I'm I wrong. Security systems is a kill switch isn't it?

Having stuff missing, finding so close, indicates car prowling kids. They find open vehicle with stuff, they climb in. Find a key and they drive off.

How did they start it?

Details details details:meh:

Unless I am mistaken, valet key will indeed start it. That is how the valet parks your ride. It will not open your glove box. So your gloves will be safe...

Unless I am mistaken, valet key will indeed start it. That is how the valet parks your ride. It will not open your glove box. So your gloves will be safe...
Duh ergo the name. Ok I'll go get some coffee, see if I can get my brain to work.

Glad you got your rig back! I'm also curious to see how they started it. I've been meaning to research the best way to do a killswitch. Any threads I missed?

I do some remote hiking where my rig is parked at the trailhead for 6-7 hours in the middle of nowhere. Any cons to just pulling the EFI fuse while I'm hiking?

So they pulled the kick panel off and jacked with a few wires under there. Nothing looks cut, but now my heated seat seems to be stuck on. That's fun given that summer is practically here in Tucson.

Any ideas how / where that heated seat wiring is?

I am going to look into a kill switch or lojack or both. Haven't searched through the forum yet, but will soon. Also need to replace the dang stereo cause they stole just the front of it. dorks. But maybe it's a good excuses to get one with a back up camera!

Looking forward to detailing it later today.

I am curious to know how this happened as well. I have a feeling that states like AZ and TX are prime targets for stealing older Toyota vehicles and taking them to mexico.

I certainly hope that did not happen to yours and that really sucks that it was even stolen in the first place. Hope you get it back or at the very least get it replaced. :(

Edit: I see you got it back. yay! Still too bad about damage to the stereo and stolen items.
Don't forget to add New Mexico to the list.. lots of car thefts here.

I have my stock stereo for my 1998. You can have it, if you want it. I'm in Denver, you can drop by on your way up.

I don't know of any issues pulling a fuse. I used to do similar things with my 40 when I left it at trailheads while backpacking. I'd pull the distributor rotor and fusible link. That's OK now and then. To be the most effective, your disabling method needs to be something simple that you get in the habit of using all the time. I use the kill switch in my trail 40 all the time, even when parking in my garage, to maintain that "do it automatically without thinking" habit.

Over the past couple of years, there have been stories on the news about thieves using some kind of scanner to open, rifle through, and steal vehicles without sounding alarms. I don't know that you can fully rely on OEM alarm/protection systems these days.

I do some remote hiking where my rig is parked at the trailhead for 6-7 hours in the middle of nowhere. Any cons to just pulling the EFI fuse while I'm hiking?

What year is this cruiser? I don't understand how a little re-wire would get it started? Does the ECM not have to receive a valid (recognized/pre-programed) code from the rfid tag in the key???

Did they bring their own ECU and matching key? Had this cruiser been converted to push button start :hmm:??

What year is this cruiser? I don't understand how a little re-wire would get it started? Does the ECM not have to receive a valid (recognized/pre-programed) code from the rfid tag in the key???

Did they bring their own ECU and matching key? Had this cruiser been converted to push button start :hmm:??
Wondering the same things... glad it's home and safe now OP.

I don't know of any issues pulling a fuse. I used to do similar things with my 40 when I left it at trailheads while backpacking. I'd pull the distributor rotor and fusible link. That's OK now and then. To be the most effective, your disabling method needs to be something simple that you get in the habit of using all the time. I use the kill switch in my trail 40 all the time, even when parking in my garage, to maintain that "do it automatically without thinking" habit.

Over the past couple of years, there have been stories on the news about thieves using some kind of scanner to open, rifle through, and steal vehicles without sounding alarms. I don't know that you can fully rely on OEM alarm/protection systems these days.

Thanks for the info. I'll bump kill switch up on my todo list.

I use an anti-theft system where a key does not help. My set up requires a special starting sequence that if you dont know it the key will not help. The best part is ever time you shut the vehicle off the system resets and it requires you to go through the starting sequence.

A kill switch is only good if you remember to use it

I use an anti-theft system where a key does not help. My set up requires a special starting sequence that if you dont know it the key will not help. The best part is ever time you shut the vehicle off the system resets and it requires you to go through the starting sequence.
Would love to hear more about this if you can share without giving away details specific to your truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom