STOLEN Stolen. Damn. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What year is this cruiser? I don't understand how a little re-wire would get it started? Does the ECM not have to receive a valid (recognized/pre-programed) code from the rfid tag in the key???

Did they bring their own ECU and matching key? Had this cruiser been converted to push button start :hmm:??

Amazing amount of technology available to thieves now- just google landcruiser ignition hack lots of results: generic to the process but good info. Our rolling security code is not that sophisticated; would think it's pretty hackable.

Radio Attack Lets Hackers Steal 24 Different Car Models

Would love to hear more about this if you can share without giving away details specific to your truck.

Hard to provide details without giving it away.:( I use a double poll relay that switches both the hot and the ground at different points to complete the circuit to power the ignition only. The starter still cranks, it was done this way on purpose so given someone attempts to steal it, I hear it cranking given me enough time to meet them in person:poof: What I can tell you and anyone who knows me and the details will agree you can watch me start it and not figure out the secret.:grinpimp:

Note: Todays pro car thieves use tow trucks, something that makes protecting your ride much harder.

Just wondering if I should re key it or something now. My hidden valet key is missing.

At the very least, I'd erase all of the keys from the ECU and reprogram only the ones that you have in your possession.

Wire a killswitch to your fuel pump's negative wire. Hide it well, be done with it.

Getting new keys and what not if they were stolen would be wise, do you have any idea how they started your truck? 100s have transponder keys right?

At the very least, I'd erase all of the keys from the ECU and reprogram only the ones that you have in your possession.

I think there is a limited number of keys or number of times the ECU will allow you program a key.

I like the fuel pump switch mod- with a twist, modeled after Mad Max timed delay.....

Seriously though I like the landcruiserPhil concept

Be cool to have a voice recognition kill switch.
Say like the "OK Google" technology in Android phones.
Program it to listen for "Gitty Up", or "OK Toyota" to allow starting.
I think the technology is out there - just need to build it.

Remember "The Clapper" ... clapp on , clapp off, The Clapper :)

Be cool to have a voice recognition kill switch.
Say like the "OK Google" technology in Android phones.
Program it to listen for "Gitty Up", or "OK Toyota" to allow starting.
I think the technology is out there - just need to build it.

Could double as a safety set up if you have been drinking and slurring your words = not start:hillbilly:

Thanks for all the ideas. I am a few new projects in the list now.

Couple answers to questions.

1. The key that's missing now was a key without the buttons on it. Not sure if it had a chip / RFID / etc in it or not. It was not a Toyota key, it was some kind of copy. It was what I used as a valet key and kept hidden (obviously not well) in the center console. It was definitely how they got it started because although they pulled off the kick panel and fiddled with some wires, none were cut.

2. They got in because I leave it unlocked a lot. Ok I realize the combination of unlocked with the key in it, is probably not the best idea. Who knew? We've had quite a few break ins in our neighborhood over the last couple of years, and I often leave it unlocked to avoid unnecessary damage to the truck from someone trying to get in. I learned while living in Africa that if you make it easy to get in and also leave nothing in it, you're likely better off than locked with nothing in it. Again, except for when you do a poor job of hiding your extra key. Shoot.

Techstream / ECU / Key Programming
Sounds interesting. Agree with you @jLB about just doing it as a precaution. I am taking it to the shop for a quick once over of the wires they fiddled with, since we're driving 2000 miles next week and loose connections don't sound like a fun project for the side of the highway with three toddlers. I'll ask about them helping with this too.

Kill Switch
Also a good idea. @LandCruiserPhil that is pretty close to how I've done it in the past. I also like allowing the starter to crank but not turn over, for a lot of reasons. Hopefully I can incorporate the clapper into that.

Drawer
And locking drawer for the back just moved up my list for the few pieces of gear I keep in it all the time. Going with one of the DIY versions some guys have posted for this.

Jeep
And I think I'll try to park my jeep behind it now. It's hard to start, even when the kill switch is off. Or just build a garage.

1. The key that's missing now was a key without the buttons on it. Not sure if it had a chip / RFID / etc in it or not. It was not a Toyota key, it was some kind of copy. It was what I used as a valet key and kept hidden (obviously not well) in the center console. It was definitely how they got it started because although they pulled off the kick panel and fiddled with some wires, none were cut.

2. They got in because I leave it unlocked a lot. Ok I realize the combination of unlocked with the key in it, is probably not the best idea. Who knew? We've had quite a few break ins in our neighborhood over the last couple of years, and I often leave it unlocked to avoid unnecessary damage to the truck from someone trying to get in. I learned while living in Africa that if you make it easy to get in and also leave nothing in it, you're likely better off than locked with nothing in it. Again, except for when you do a poor job of hiding your extra key. Shoot.

Sounds interesting. Agree with you @jLB about just doing it as a precaution. I am taking it to the shop for a quick once over of the wires they fiddled with, since we're driving 2000 miles next week and loose connections don't sound like a fun project for the side of the highway with three toddlers. I'll ask about them helping with this too.

Kill Switch
Also a good idea. @LandCruiserPhil that is pretty close to how I've done it in the past. I also like allowing the starter to crank but not turn over, for a lot of reasons. Hopefully I can incorporate the clapper into that.

Drawer
And locking drawer for the back just moved up my list for the few pieces of gear I keep in it all the time. Going with one of the DIY versions some guys have posted for this.

Jeep
And I think I'll try to park my jeep behind it now. It's hard to start, even when the kill switch is off. Or just build a garage.

Thanks for the FULL disclosure glad you got it back.
Looks like it will end up being an expensive lesson now that you need to build a garage. :D

I think there is a limited number of keys or number of times the ECU will allow you program a key.

Off the top of my head I remember it being something like 5 masters slots and 3 valet slots, but the slots are reusable.

Kill Switch

If the lost key was one of those hardware store electronic clones of an existing key, that may cause an issue, because the missing key would probably be a clone of the chip in one of the keys that you still have.

The clapper is an interesting concept, but I think I would prefer something like an RFID kill switch.

It's funny how everyone is worried about their car getting jacked now because of this thread. "How did they start it?" lol

I guess a lot of people (including myself) thought it's hard to steal 100's because of the immobilizer.

You are extremely lucky it is not on it's way to third world country with demand for these. Hmmmm leaving key in console and doors unlocked in todays world is like having a sign on window to TAKE ME. Pain in butt lesson to learn. I had a neighbor leave a key in his Impala and his car was found day later parked in a close by lake. Maybe it was just hot and went for a swim.....:meh:

I have a switch to kill the starter, and it is in a location both me and wife knows. Turn off even when it is inside the garage.
Once it is gone.... it is gone.... expect the unexpected is what I follow.

I would have to concur about the previously stated comments of it not being taken south of the border. Use to make me cringe when I would see the weekly three to ten vehicle convoys of all Toyota's heading across the border (mostly vintage trucks,FJ's of all kinds and anything 4-Wheel drive when I lived in El Paso for awhile. Luckily it sounds like it was just some punks casing the neighborhood. Glad you got it back mostly unharmed it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom