Steering Box Leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are there wear items in the steering box beyond the rebuild kit parts? Or does the rebuild kit do a good longterm fix?
(I'm thinking of the time I rebuilt a master brake cylinder which only worked for another year due to it's metal components being worn...)
I’ll take a wild stab... the rings are all rubbery/silicone. The ball bearings don’t get worn unless your low on fluid or maybe the shaft gets tweaked but then the truck would sound like s*** and hopefully you’d stop driving it to figure it out. The worm gear won’t wear unless your low on fluid and same as before.
But who am I to be commenting... your better off to ask someone like @cruisermatt.

I’ll take a wild stab... the rings are all rubbery/silicone. The ball bearings don’t get worn unless your low on fluid or maybe the shaft gets tweaked but then the truck would sound like s*** and hopefully you’d stop driving it to figure it out. The worm gear won’t wear unless your low on fluid and same as before.
But who am I to be commenting... your better off to ask someone like @cruisermatt.

You’ve rebuilt more 60 boxes then me

The trick is to install and compress the orings and teflon rings then pop the compressed assembly in the freezer for an hour. Sanding down the sharp lip in the box housing that catches on the teflon ring during assembly helps too. Those two little details make the whole job far less cantankerous.

Don’t worry Luis, if you’re a golfer you know that second ball is tour material :). You’ll nail it.

:hmm: Thanks Jim, I’ll try it again beer in hand like the last time I golfed

The trick is to install and compress the orings and teflon rings then pop the compressed assembly in the freezer for an hour. Sanding down the sharp lip in the box housing that catches on the teflon ring during assembly helps too. Those two little details make the whole job far less cantankerous.

I will try this... thanks

While I wait a few days for the rebuild kit to arrive, I tore the box apart again, looks like I did a crappy job on assembly.

8673248B-9792-4178-90DD-BE12ED0FB0F5.jpeg

7F5EB109-222D-4E74-8065-3509C434BE17.jpeg

4926B0BA-54CC-41EB-844B-9CB751E14813.jpeg

Hi, Clean ,clean,clean the inside and outside of the box before reassembly! Flush old fluid out of lines. Mike

I just bought the rebuild kit from Cruiser Corps to fix my leak this weekend, while rebuilding the knuckles too. Those teflon o-rings do look a little spooky and easy to mess up during reassembly! I hope round #2 went better for you.

I have not done the rebuild yet, may do it this weekend. Good luck with your box!

Hi, Clean ,clean,clean the inside and outside of the box before reassembly! Flush old fluid out of lines. Mike

Thanks Mike, I’ve cleaned it really good and will reclean at reassembly

I’ll be back from CO mid next week. Glad to help you put that kit in if you’d like.
thanks. Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy, if I start getting too frustrated, I will definitely take you up on the offer. Safe travels,

I have not done the rebuild yet, may do it this weekend. Good luck with your box!

Thanks Mike, I’ve cleaned it really good and will reclean at reassembly

Thanks Jimmy, if I start getting too frustrated, I will definitely take you up on the offer. Safe travels,
Luis, sounds good. Here’s a pic of what I did with the last nylon bushing to get it in place. It was alway the most challenging one for me. Also, did you use a drimmel to smooth out the bore in the main chamber? If not, this trick will help eliminate tearing the Black o-ring in the main body. Feel free to call if you have any questions. Jimmy
85B6A258-CF57-437D-BE6C-A3ABD9F07A1B.jpeg
6E9DA15A-C691-4507-B1EE-F3302958A679.jpeg

DFDDB372-4ECC-407F-A8B1-C5B6F53E445F.jpeg

Luis, sounds good. Here’s a pic of what I did with the last nylon bushing to get it in place. It was alway the most challenging one for me. Also, did you use a drimmel to smooth out the bore in the main chamber? If not, this truck will help eliminate tearing the Black o-ring in the main body. Feel free to call if you have any questions. Jimmy
View attachment 2265862View attachment 2265863

View attachment 2265866
Not sure how I dropped that 3rd pic in. Maybe it’s the second dewars I just finished :). All thumbs here.

4DA4BBD6-5562-4682-A017-2C4D232FA967.jpeg

A454E79F-4624-4C21-8BE5-C26D545E76E0.jpeg

9131693B-C2DF-4EA7-9CB8-B51B30EA6B89.jpeg

No worries Jimmy, it’s always nice to see pictures of your masterpiece

Luis, sounds good. Here’s a pic of what I did with the last nylon bushing to get it in place. It was alway the most challenging one for me. Also, did you use a drimmel to smooth out the bore in the main chamber? If not, this trick will help eliminate tearing the Black o-ring in the main body. Feel free to call if you have any questions. Jimmy
View attachment 2265862View attachment 2265863

I have been struggling with the nylon bushing, I also lost 3 of the bearings when disassembling the worm gear :mad:, dropped the on them ground and these rolled into the grass, can't find them not even with a magnet.

I have been struggling with the nylon bushing, I also lost 3 of the bearings when disassembling the worm gear :mad:, dropped the on them ground and these rolled into the grass, can't find them not even with a magnet.
Oh s***!!! That’s not good. Do you have a big magnet? If not you should swing by the depot or Harbor Freight and get one. The type with a handle so you sweep it through the grass. If no luck finding them maybe we can find someone that has a box with a bent sector shaft and willing to sell/donate a few bearings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom