Steering Box Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck hadn’t run in five years, leaked out all of the fluid after running it for about 10 minutes

72C4242D-1F72-4076-89D2-215F086DA49A.jpeg

Thanks Mike,

I thought the rebuild kit is no longer available from toyota? do you have a part #

Luis, sounds like its time to send it to west tX off road. I may have a spare 80 box you can throw in until you get yours serviced (if yours is the later bolt pattern). If you need one I can check the barn when I get home next weekend.

Thanks Jim! I will contact them tomorrow & maybe ship it soon. Going to Colorado next saturday and depending on their turn around time, maybe I can pick it up on the way back.

West Texas Off Road did a good job rebuilding mine. It was a few years ago, but at the time I think it was a 2-3 week turn around.

I ordered the kit from Cruiser Corps and used instructions in the FAQ here and it leaked worse, I reopened the box and it looks like I sheared an o-ring when I put it back together. I am sending it to WTO to have it done right.

For those who have sent their boxes to WTO, what is the process? do I need to call first? or do I need to purchase a rebuild in their cart before sending it or calling?

Thanks,
ML

No need to order a kit if sending to San Angelo. They supply their own. If you sheared an O-ring I believe you can order those separately from Toyota. I may be wrong but it’s worth a shot if you have it apart. Good luck. Wish I was closer as I’d give you a hand. Jimmy

I ordered the kit from Cruiser Corps and used instructions in the FAQ here and it leaked worse, I reopened the box and it looks like I sheared an o-ring when I put it back together. I am sending it to WTO to have it done right.

... if you did it the first time, had a problem, took it apart to identify the problem, identified the problem, you seriously can’t buy an Oring and put it back together one more time and be done?

Matt, are the o-rings available separately. I’ve done a handful of these boxes and would not hesitate to replace a bad one if I had access to it. Buying an aftermarket kit could be another option and you can pluck the needed O-ring. Would be a lot cheaper than the round trip to WTOR.

No need to order a kit if sending to San Angelo. They supply their own. If you sheared an O-ring I believe you can order those separately from Toyota. I may be wrong but it’s worth a shot if you have it apart. Good luck. Wish I was closer as I’d give you a hand. Jimmy

Thanks Jimmy!

As far as send to WTO, I was not sure if I had to call before sending the box or purchase the rebuild "service" beforehand.

... if you did it the first time, had a problem, took it apart to identify the problem, identified the problem, you seriously can’t buy an Oring and put it back together one more time and be done?

Matt, I have no issues looking into it again or swapping out an oring, just frustrated and figured that I'd just pay someone to do it right the first time...

Matt, are the o-rings available separately. I’ve done a handful of these boxes and would not hesitate to replace a bad one if I had access to it. Buying an aftermarket kit could be another option and you can pluck the needed O-ring. Would be a lot cheaper than the round trip to WTOR.

Jimmy, are you asking about OEM orings? I may reorder another aftermarket kit and try again

I just ordered another kit... Thanks for the "push"!

you'll have much more satisfaction having fixed it yourself rather then paying someone else to fix your mistake.

That O-ring you most likely sheared / tore is available separately from Toyota, should you need it. I think the one from Toyota is Teflon coated? Read the FSM on it, as there's a SST that helps the install but others have done it being careful...

@NeverGiveUpYota I think had this issue ? She overcame it, but she's a badass. :)

Toyota offers complete rebuild kit for around $115. Gates offers for around $30. Use Gates kit and use the Oem teflon seals (2) for power piston as @Spike Strip

Rebuild is not difficult, just takes time and patience and a couple specialty tools that can be overcome with some ingenuity. Wouldn't hesitate to rebuild more having done mine two years ago. No leaks since and works great.

Are there wear items in the steering box beyond the rebuild kit parts? Or does the rebuild kit do a good longterm fix?
(I'm thinking of the time I rebuilt a master brake cylinder which only worked for another year due to it's metal components being worn...)

That O-ring you most likely sheared / tore is available separately from Toyota, should you need it. I think the one from Toyota is Teflon coated? Read the FSM on it, as there's a SST that helps the install but others have done it being careful...

@NeverGiveUpYota I think had this issue ? She overcame it, but she's a badass. :)
I didn’t quite overcome it but I had no issue w/ install. Somehow I just did it. Later while on FaceTime w/ Jim @CenTXFJ60 and Ryan, @CaptClose during their assembly maybe six-twelve months later, they figured out a trick. Jim wrote it somewhere here or maybe he can rewrite it... apologies that I can’t recall. That was my first ever rebuild of anything back in May ‘16. Seems so long ago esp now w/ the s*** heightened roller coaster ride stay 6 ****ing feet from me life, we have happening now.
I will say I had no specialty tools. I bought an adjustable spanner from Ace that I still use now for changing discs on my grinder.
I would highly recommend watching the bleepin jeep YouTube video because his is nearly exact. Lighting, speed, visuals are top notch. Watch it prior then have a laptop or iPad near you so you can pause it while you reassemble. I rebuilt mine on my kitchen table.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom