Steering gear box input shaft question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

garfieldthecat

SILVER Star
Threads
Can anyone tell me if the steering gear input shaft is in the correct orientation here? A machine shop rebuilt this gear box a couple of years ago (and I had had a shop install for me) and I am now replacing the ujoints in the intermediate shaft between the firewall and gear box input shaft but with this orientation on the gear box input shaft the zerk fitting faces down towards the frame and the yoke bolt must install from below rather than from above. If this is not the correct orientation for the input shaft on the gear box, is there a way to adjust it so the zerk fitting faces up and the bolt on the yoke that attaches the shaft can be installed from above rather than below?

IMG_20230924_134508591.jpg

IMG_20230924_134457449.jpg

IMG_20230924_134332255.jpg

IMG_20230924_134526702.jpg

Just fit the u-joint over the spline but don’t install the lock bolt — then jack up the front wheels so they’re off the ground and just turn the steering wheel how you want it - engine off. It’ll turn easily.

Once it’s oriented how you want it- then install the clamp bolt.

Just fit the u-joint over the spline but don’t install the lock bolt — then jack up the front wheels so they’re off the ground and just turn the steering wheel how you want it - engine off. It’ll turn easily.

Once it’s oriented how you want it- then install the clamp bolt.

Thanks @OSS. The lower splines are connected to the arm (and the rest of the steering). I assume I'll have to disconnect that arm from the splines too and reinstall the arm once I spin the yoke around to the location I want?

Thanks @OSS. The lower splines are connected to the arm (and the rest of the steering). I assume I'll have to disconnect that arm from the splines too and reinstall the arm once I spin the yoke around to the location I want?

Oh wait, this will rotate the zerk fitting but not the splines. I wonder if this spline shaft is non-Toyota? Here is another similar spline shaft with the bolt cut out going around the whole spline shaft

Screenshot_20230924-145454.png

It doesn’t matter - what matters is that the box is in the middle of it’s travel when the tires are straight. Otherwise you may accidentally hit the steering box’s limit before the steering stops on the axle.

Center the pitman arm in its travel, make sure the tires are pretty straight, adjust the drag link so it bolts up. Install the intermediate shaft however it will go on and then adjust the steering wheel on its splines after you drive it.

Thanks @cruisermatt. I'll reconnect it with the new ujoints and use it as is for awhile once the truck runs again and revisit the gearbox once I get new springs. Still not satisfied with how much steering play there is after the last rebuild.

Thanks @cruisermatt. I'll reconnect it with the new ujoints and use it as is for awhile once the truck runs again and revisit the gearbox once I get new springs. Still not satisfied with how much steering play there is after the last rebuild.

The box is probably just fine, and you probably need to lower your expectations.

I wouldn’t say your gearbox was rebuilt, but rather re-sealed, as almost no one is actually replacing the sector shaft, power piston, or the sector shaft roller bearings, which are the only components that would effect steering “play”. Those parts don’t really wear anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom