starting problem...slow electricity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I turn the key to start......wait a few seconds.....then, most of the time, it starts. After it runs and stops, sometimes 1, 3 or 4 or 30 tries and it starts. Maybe it's worse when it's humid.
I just don't understand the time delay. I am replacing the starter again. Sometimes a jump start saves the day. I also just learned about issues with the neutral safety switch that i'm checking out. But, why would there be a time lag. I turn the key on, everything lights up. I can hold it at start and wait for seconds, like 4 seconds, then vroom. I think it's brushes/starter motor, the actuator works. thanks for ideas....

No such thing as "slow electricity" for the record.
Delayed cranking is almost always associated with the starter solenoid. The bore of the solenoid is supposed to be clean and have some lightweight grease. Over time dirt builds up in the bore and the grease breaks down which prevents the solenoid plunger from making good contact with the starter motor contacts.

I turn the key to start......wait a few seconds.....then, most of the time, it starts. After it runs and stops, sometimes 1, 3 or 4 or 30 tries and it starts. Maybe it's worse when it's humid.
I just don't understand the time delay. I am replacing the starter again. Sometimes a jump start saves the day. I also just learned about issues with the neutral safety switch that i'm checking out. But, why would there be a time lag. I turn the key on, everything lights up. I can hold it at start and wait for seconds, like 4 seconds, then vroom. I think it's brushes/starter motor, the actuator works. thanks for ideas....
Have you tried a different battery? Batteries will have 12.7 ish volts at times and no real amperage... I've had it happen with even new batteries. Also, could have a bad power cable to your starter, the pause may be a build in resistance causing the cable to heat and expand finally making connection. Or just really bad corrosion/oxidization under the insulation causing massive resistance.

The other thing I'd try is to clean the starter signal wire contact at both ends and wire a 30-50 amp relay in.

Something like the one in the above link.
Terminal 85 to clean body ground
Terminal 86 starter signal wire
Terminal 30 fused 12v+ from battery. I recommend 10 gauge of doing a longer run, 12 is fine for short runs of maybe 4 feet.
Terminal 87 goes out to your starter signal terminal see if that cures the issue.

I wouldn't make it anything fancy or buy relay holders etc... until you knew whether or not it fixed the problem.

Then I'd definitely use a waterproof relay and holder, nice clean wiring and marine shrink tube around any connections, which, I'd solder or use actual crimping ferrules. Make it neat, it's not a Jeep.

There a various starter troubleshooting threads. I'd start with easy to check components and go from there. Of course I have a second vehicle with a good battery to borrow and extra battery cable material etc... I never suggest replacing things until it works. Test and inspect.

"I am replacing the starter again"

When did you last replace your starter and with what brand??
What was the problem before, same as now?

FWIW Denso Aftermarket (RockAuto) or a Toyota-Denso remanufactured starter from Toyota tend to be more reliable.

I had the same issue, bought new battery, new wire, new starter and didn’t fix the problem. The problem is the signal wire coming from ignition switch is going through old connections and not carrying enough voltage/current to fire the starter solenoid. I installed a ford type solenoid to send direct current from battery to starter and no more problem starting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom