Not Starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My FJ80 started randomly not starting. When the key is turned there is one loud click but doesn't start. I can hear the fuel injectors pumping fuel in. Battery is fine, spark plugs are fine. I'm guessing starter but with one loud click and no other noise I'm not for sure. Typically if I would wait ~5 minutes it would start when I tried again but it won't start at all at this point.

My FJ80 started randomly not starting. When the key is turned there is one loud click but doesn't start. I can hear the fuel injectors pumping fuel in. Battery is fine, spark plugs are fine. I'm guessing starter but with one loud click and no other noise I'm not for sure. Typically if I would wait ~5 minutes it would start when I tried again but it won't start at all at this point.
could be your fusible link? try searching up fusible link on the forums and see if it matches with your symptoms :). Also, this is going to sound stupid but make sure your terminals are connected well. Loose terminals will melt your battery posts and also cause a (bipolar start)

I assume when you say will not start, you mean it will not crank.

Classic signs of a failing starter. Toyota starters have contacts that will wear out and will intermittently fail until they fully fail. It isn't a horrible job to replace the starter. You can also rebuild it to replace those wear items.

Give the starter a good spank with a tire iron through the wheel well, it likely will start and help you verify its a starter fail.

Crudded up batt terminals can cause this as well. Easy/free fix to wire bush/brake clean the terminals - both wire end and batt end - and try again.

Also if negative terminal clamp is still the solid-lead type, replace it with a similar clamp style as the positive terminal. Such as the one in this link. It's what I used to replace my OEM solid lead terminal that was stretched and sketch.
Amazon product ASIN B08DN1BTYQNaturally you'll need to clip the OEM neg wire and install a robust copper ring such as this -
Amazon product ASIN B073CKHWXQ - using a proper terminal crimping device such as this -
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07V6V7XZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Hey, it costs to do it right n' all.
Don't forget the the proper shrink wrap to seal the wire/terminal junctions-

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom