No start - weird electrical problem (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spare battery setup with starter.

A9CE5949-74FB-44FA-9817-06BD6C6D67AE.jpeg

Wonder if this buggered lug (which just seems to be crushed/moulded copper wire into the shape of a lug) is the issue or the wire itself that I’m using to jerry-rig the starter to the vehicle.

D5D409DA-0879-4142-B9CD-0FCA3F2195B4.jpeg

Better pic of weird lug.

8A53EAAA-EF46-435C-BFF2-221C4529A5D7.jpeg

Load tested both the spare battery and vehicle starter battery, and both are showing good state. Got to check the power wire in the vehicle that goes to the starter.

I think you have found the area of compromise.

I would gather the parts and reinstall with a good starter, new cables, clean connections, and a proper ground wire from block to battery, available from Toyota, but you might be able to make regular auto parts store work.

Well, once again, I’ve proved be a supreme idiot. After thinking about it, and following the harness from the starter connector in the vehicle, I noticed the ground wire from the engine block was not connected back to the battery. I recall someone mentioning I was missing a ground wire or that it needed to be larger. Should have checked back then. D’oh!!
However, starter still does not start! Solenoid engages, but again motor doesn’t not spin. When the ground wire was disconnected from the starter battery, it must have been touching the inner fender sufficiently to complete the circuit when it worked momentarily before I disassembled the starter. I’m starting to suspect the large gauge “jumper” wire I’m using to jerry-rig the starter. Have to leave for Montreal, so this will have to wait

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

So, finally the starter works as it should when jerry-rigged to the vehicle. Solenoid engages and motor spins when key is turned to POS #3, and the electrics don’t all die. Only thing I did was to replace both lugs on the heavy gauge wire I was using to jerry-rig the starter to the vehicle. Cut the old lugs off and soldered in some real solid copper ones.
Now just need to reinstall the starter, isolator, and all the dash bits I removed when checking out the RS3000 ECU.

image.jpg

FFEC3390-8CE0-4075-B816-E59AA79A26B2.jpeg

image.jpg

Was looking for a plastic clip on my “parts shelf” for one of the inner wheel well rubber guards, and found this. Lol! At first I thought they were new. That would not have been good.
Also, starter is installed and engine cranks, but doesn’t fire up. A bit worried, but will check again after both batteries and isolator are installed. Will still diagnose the isolator with my meter just to make sure it is good to go.

0D6A943F-22D1-4264-93C8-B21BE828A551.jpeg

13E75BE4-C600-4635-BEBF-0A38BACCBCA9.jpeg

Last edited:
Just noticed that I forgot to connect one of the fusible links with the grey connector. Once I reconnected it, I tried to start the engine, and it fired right. So happy! This is still with the aux battery disconnected. I also just checked the battery isolator with my multi/meter and it checks out. The diodes are good, so will now reinstall isolator, and reconnect the aux battery.

30858434-6A11-4F80-A858-6728C60206DC.jpeg

All buttoned up. Isolator installed and aux battery reconnected. Truck is running and charging both batteries. Just need to close up the dash tomorrow and take it for a well deserved spin.

Is the pop an audible pop? Or you just lose power?

If you think you have a dead short in the starter maybe try shorting the +ve starter terminal with an old screwdriver, see if the starter turns over.

My shìtbox Ford work hack wouldn't start one morning, I thought it was the battery, dash lights came on, but when turned to start, nothing!
I put a spare battery in it, and same deal.
Turned out the solenoid on the starter was sticking. A few sharp taps on the solenoid with a heavy wrench got it working, and 9-10 months on, no issues
I faced Same.
Starter Would not Turn over Engine.
Few Raps with Bottle Jack Handle and Started Right Up.

Such a Relief to know when you are Chasing a Gremlin.
I did EFI Fuse, Fusible Link, Bought a Noco, etc. No Regrets on any of those Items.
It's always simple once you Understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom