HDJ80 electrical starting issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, having a starting issue with the 80 and looking for some help. It is a 1993 HDJ80 with a 5 speed, euro spec. Here is the sequence of events:

Had an abnormally cold day here (around 5 degrees F), drive to work fine, went to start after work and barely cranked and wouldn’t start. had symptoms of dead batteries.

there was a tiny puff of smoke from the glove box area, but only once.

replaced both batteries, went to start, same thing. seemed like dead batteries again. this time, a lot more smoke from the glove box and under the hood. cannot locate the source of smoke behind the glove box, but smoke in the engine compartment coming from the main wiring harness that exits the firewall on the passenger side and runs behind the engine.

unwrapped wiring harness and found a bare copper wire that had melted the insulation. it is a white wire with black stripe, and two red dots every few inches.

seems like the wire is a ground wire in the starting system, but having trouble narrowing down which one on the schematic, and also having trouble coming up with what is shorting out.

is there anything common that would cause this? my thoughts were shorted starter or 24v solenoid. it still tries to start when key was turned, so that leads me to believe 24v solenoid is bad. I cannot find any posts with similar issues, so if anyone can provide any insight that would be great. thanks!

Hey everyone, having a starting issue with the 80 and looking for some help. It is a 1993 HDJ80 with a 5 speed, euro spec. Here is the sequence of events:

Had an abnormally cold day here (around 5 degrees F), drive to work fine, went to start after work and barely cranked and wouldn’t start. had symptoms of dead batteries.

there was a tiny puff of smoke from the glove box area, but only once.

replaced both batteries, went to start, same thing. seemed like dead batteries again. this time, a lot more smoke from the glove box and under the hood. cannot locate the source of smoke behind the glove box, but smoke in the engine compartment coming from the main wiring harness that exits the firewall on the passenger side and runs behind the engine.

unwrapped wiring harness and found a bare copper wire that had melted the insulation. it is a white wire with black stripe, and two red dots every few inches.

seems like the wire is a ground wire in the starting system, but having trouble narrowing down which one on the schematic, and also having trouble coming up with what is shorting out.

is there anything common that would cause this? my thoughts were shorted starter or 24v solenoid. it still tries to start when key was turned, so that leads me to believe 24v solenoid is bad. I cannot find any posts with similar issues, so if anyone can provide any insight that would be great. thanks!
Sorry I can't help you with this specific issue but try looking around/posting in the diesel section - might have more luck there:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom