Squeaky steering wheel wasn't clock spring (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The good news is that I've got a new (used) clock spring. The bad news is that I didn't need it.

After my steering wheel has progressively gotten worse squeaking on left turns over the past few years, and I thought I had sprayed lube everywhere including taking apart the dash several times, I finally decided to replace the clock spring.

I bought one off another mudder, and installed. Still squeaky.:mad:

So, I stuck my head under the drivers footwell, with the vehicle idling so that I could move the wheel back and forth. I thought perhaps the plastic and rubber where the shaft goes through the firewall. Nope.

I felt back up the shaft from the firewall (that's what she said), and could feel the vibration of the squeek noise where the shaft comes out of some bushing. I sprayed some Dupont dry lube up there and voila, no more squeak!

I guess I just needed to be pissed enough about wasting $60 to actually find the problem.

Anyways, I've got a clock spring for sale if anyone is interested...
:flipoff2:

Did you spray the lube up at this white bushing? The photo was taken looking up from the foot well toward the backside of the steering wheel, steering shaft upper U-joint assembly removed.
DSC04610.JPG

That was prolly it. I just felt up under there. I followed the moving part of the shaft up to the first bushing that was stationary (which I imagine is what you have pictured). I sprayed it with my new favorite lube, Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Dry Wax Lubricant. No more squeaky, squeaky.:D

Check your Steering column cowling upper and lower sections where the wheel hits it.

I replaced mine awhile back and have been getting sporadic squeaks since then with it's replacement. It gets worse when it's colder but since I know where it's coming from it's ok...

Good to know. My wheel squeaks on turns too. I'll have to give this a shot.

For reference, this squeak used to be on left (or quick left turns) made worse or only in cold conditions. It got worse to being all the time on left turns, and as mentioned, the remedy was merely a little lube on the bushing shown above.

Tried this fix before I ordered a new clock spring, and it cured my squeak in winter. This is why I love this site--thanks!

I will be lubing my shaft tonight for sure.
It's not for me it's for the :princess:

Noises like this drive me bonkers!
If I wanted squeeks I would have bought a Heep.

Mine squeaks but it's like one spot of the rotation. It's not a constant squuuuuuueeeeeeeeeaaaaak as I spin the wheel. Is yall's a constant or only when 'X' part of steering wheel rotates past 'Y' part of steering column?

So I did this. I sprayed some Boeshield T-9 up there and the squeak is gone and the steering wheel turns more smoothly. Why didn't I do this a year ago?!?!?!

Many thanks!

Mine just started doing this. weather related I guess.

:hmm:

Mine squeaks but it's like one spot of the rotation. It's not a constant squuuuuuueeeeeeeeeaaaaak as I spin the wheel. Is yall's a constant or only when 'X' part of steering wheel rotates past 'Y' part of steering column?

Mine is not a constant squeak, but it is probably for the first 90 degrees or so of rotation and then it goes away. Mine's left or right turns and definitely worse in the winter. Mid-summer it's quiet.

Sporadic squeaker here...

So you sprayed the bushing on the side of the firewall correct? Not on the footwell side ?

Mine is coming from where the wheel mounts to the shaft.

Mine does this also, only on left turns and it is worse when it's cold out. I'll start with the lube job, and go from there. Weird how Toyota planted this noise in our rigs only to be released at 100+k mi. to drive us mad

Mine has the squeak when cold as well. You fellas find the solve? Not a fan of it.

Mine has the squeak when cold as well. You fellas find the solve? Not a fan of it.

Yep. Just spray some dry lube up into the steering shaft. A few quick squirts should do it. Like the OP said, look up into where the steering shaft goes up towards the steering wheel and spray that white bearing.

Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom