Builds Spyduh's Crawler80 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NFAB BB-C moves the factory tcase back 7 inches. I eyeballed it and the OEM tank is in the way. requires modification or sourcing a different tank. I'm thinking about Atlas at this point since it might be cheaper and easier. Does AA make an adapter for the 80 (A442)?

I know the next option for me would be to source a hard to find H151F 5spd and tcase. Buy the longer input shaft and source the hens teeth of 1fz MT ECU's. Then get a marlin minibox adapter to go with my mini Tcase I saved.

Anything Land Cruiser is always stupid expensive and complicated!
Negative, I inquired a couple of weeks ago about them making a custom splined input and they don't. Otherwise I would have one on its way and be whittling out some adapters.

I'm also not sure if they offer them with an offset rear output..

I agree!! I've contemplated going 3.4/A340/duals in the 80. And probably end up being close to a 4Rnr in weight...

Or I just go LS and then get an atlas. I really wished there was an easy bolt on option for us 80 owners who like to rock crawl.

Going from a mini truck with marlin duals has me wishing the 80 was lower. If I never knew the joys of ultra low range, then I would be none the wiser and probably wouldn't be trying to jump through hoops to get ultra low. Most overlanders are happy with just factory low range lol.

yea you're correct. I was under the wrong assumption. the low range gears only net 25% 3.1:1. Doing under range gears wont change my crawl ratio and will only give me better highway rpms and power in High.

The blackbox is essentially like a dual (doubler). I'm considering this but the gas tank thing bugs me.

A few years back I made a chart that showed the gear ratios and final crawl ratios for various configurations with and without a Black Box. Here's some updated charts that now also include the high range underdrive gears. As you'll see below, the best we can do without swapping out tcases or putting in a doubler is about 3.4:1 (note that the actual number is 3.317:1 per @cruiseroutfit but this is just a simplistic chart). That means the best we can do is about a ~33% reduction over stock unless you get into serious transfer case mods.

With the Black Box alone, you jump to 6.8:1, a 172% reduction over stock. If you run the low range crawler gears, high range underdrive gears AND the Black Box, you're at an ultra low-low 9.3:1, 273% lower than stock.

Zgbzyri.png

And here's what the final crawl ratios look like assuming you have 5.29s in the diff. With all the options you can get a final crawl ratio of 138:1, a 381% reduction over stock! I'd love to see somebody put a Black Box in an otherwise stock FJ80. The main reason I haven't jumped in is because I have a custom rear crossmember for my lower links. I'd need to see what sort of interference, if any, the Black Box and tcase would have with this crossmember.

B0KNjwO.png

Or I just go LS and then get an atlas. I really wished there was an easy bolt on option for us 80 owners who like to rock crawl.

Going from a mini truck with marlin duals has me wishing the 80 was lower. If I never knew the joys of ultra low range, then I would be none the wiser and probably wouldn't be trying to jump through hoops to get ultra low. Most overlanders are happy with just factory low range lol.
LS swap using the BlackBox as the adapter to join the GM trans to the stock LC t-case instead of the Mark’s 4x4 adapter.

I was going to do this but they took forever to make the black box, and when it did finally come out it apparently had cooling issues.

I know the next option for me would be to source a hard to find H151F 5spd

If you're looking for the lowest gearing tips want to find a H150F from an 80 series

H151F and H150F are essentially the same, but H150F has lower 1st and 2nd gear ratios.
H151F was used behind 1hdt turbo diesel and 1fz-fe.
H150F was used being naturally aspirated 1HZ diesel.

There is a few differences you would need to be aware of if you went that route

LS swap using the BlackBox as the adapter to join the GM trans to the stock LC t-case instead of the Mark’s 4x4 adapter.

I was going to do this but they took forever to make the black box, and when it did finally come out it apparently had cooling issues.

And depending on the GM trans used you could add a lower 1st gear to the equation.

I'd love to see somebody put a Black Box in an otherwise stock FJ80. The main reason I haven't jumped in is because I have a custom rear crossmember for my lower links. I'd need to see what sort of interference, if any, the Black Box and tcase would have with this crossmember.
In a stockish 80 it wouldn't be that hard if the rear wasn't linked. I'm running the IronPig cross member and I would just cut off the rear section that points up. I think the easiest way is to make a secondary crossmember plate to only over the new mount locations. Hopefully, there are some factory threaded locations 7 inches back to bolt it up.
Otherwise, I'll do what I did with my buddies when we made him a custom cross-member skid on his 1st gen.

1612905017352.png

1612905041590.png

Or how 'bout that new Bronco with a crawl ratio of 95:1?! Almost as good as putting a doubler in an 80.

I say you give it a try! I have a feeling the gas tank can be massaged with a hammer. I don't think it should interfere that much.

Or how 'bout that new Bronco with a crawl ratio of 95:1?! Almost as good as putting a doubler in an 80.

I say you give it a try! I have a feeling the gas tank can be massaged with a hammer. I don't think it should interfere that much.
I never understood all the “gas tank in the way” talk.

That new bronco is nice. Got to see one at the hammers last week. Not a fan of the body styling though.

Tempted to give the blackbox a try. I looked under my truck and took some quick pics. Gas tank location is def in the way and I think requires a lot more than BFH.

Now looking at the pics. I would also need to redo my exhaust and somehow go over the frame or something to fix it.

tcase.jpg

NFAB BB-C moves the factory tcase back 7 inches. I eyeballed it and the OEM tank is in the way. requires modification or sourcing a different tank. I'm thinking about Atlas at this point since it might be cheaper and easier. Does AA make an adapter for the 80 (A442)?

I know the next option for me would be to source a hard to find H151F 5spd and tcase. Buy the longer input shaft and source the hens teeth of 1fz MT ECU's. Then get a marlin minibox adapter to go with my mini Tcase I saved.

The rig I built befjre mybfirst 80 had an Atlas 4spd. They are the sheit and I would have kept it for my 80 but there is no way to bolt an Atlas to the back of our transmissions. If there was, you be able to read all about it in my build thread and, I’m sure, many others.

I wish and pray for someone to make an adapter for NV4500 to 1fz for the low range and a place to bolt an Atlas to but it hasn’t happened yet.

You answer is in the classifieds or at least it was a few days ago. Some one is selling a GM 6L swap kit including engine, stand alone controllers l, trans, mounts, adapters, etc. all that’s missing supposedly is some wiring stuff to connect the power train to the body electrical. All on a pallet for $10k. An Altlas would bolt to the GM automatic nicely.

With gears that low, horsepower, and big tires, tons will be next after you start breaking axle parts. We either dig very deep in our pockets or we exercise a higher level of patience.

The rig I built befjre mybfirst 80 had an Atlas 4spd. They are the sheit and I would have kept it for my 80 but there is no way to bolt an Atlas to the back of our transmissions. If there was, you be able to read all about it in my build thread and, I’m sure, many others.

I wish and pray for someone to make an adapter for NV4500 to 1fz for the low range and a place to bolt an Atlas to but it hasn’t happened yet.

You answer is in the classifieds or at least it was a few days ago. Some one is selling a GM 6L swap kit including engine, stand alone controllers l, trans, mounts, adapters, etc. all that’s missing supposedly is some wiring stuff to connect the power train to the body electrical. All on a pallet for $10k. An Altlas would bolt to the GM automatic nicely.

With gears that low, horsepower, and big tires, tons will be next after you start breaking axle parts. We either dig very deep in our pockets or we exercise a higher level of patience.
Do you have any suggestions for anyone that can broach/EDM the input gears? AA won't. I can make the adapter from the 442/343 to an Atlas happen, but this is the big hold up. Dutchman is my next option to make a spud shaft, but I'm trying to keep the whole enchilada short.

A 4spd is on my list of lust if I can source the input gear.

Do you have any suggestions for anyone that can broach/EDM the input gears? AA won't. I can make the adapter from the 442/343 to an Atlas happen, but this is the big hold up. Dutchman is my next option to make a spud shaft, but I'm trying to keep the whole enchilada short.

I would kill for a Atlas 4speed. Someone needs to make something happen!!!! Someone smarter than me that is. LOL

Funny, get a 80 then change out engine, trans, Tcase, axles... whats next the body cuz its to phat. To get that seroius should of kepted the mini.
80s are just great family trail rigs hands down.

Funny, get a 80 then change out engine, trans, Tcase, axles... whats next the body cuz its to phat. To get that seroius should of kepted the mini.
yeah maybe I'm over thinking it. I wen't to the 80 and sold the mini cause I wanted to take the kids since they are getting bigger.
Maybe I'll make due with what I have and enjoy it then wait for the kids to get out of it and then sell the 80crawler and build me another mini.

I've owned 2 1st gen 4Runners and always have a soft spot for another one. I saved myself a spare top shift, chromoly bobby longs, 85 toy housing stashed away, v6 LP elocker with 5.29, factory LP 4.10 elocker with bad gears. I had more spare parts but gave them to my buddies so they can build their own minis. I still have enough parts to build me another mini if I wanted to right now. Maybe I wait for the kids to out grow wheeling and then sell this build and get back to a 1st gen 4R mini and be in love all over again.

Edit: def over thinking things. Keep it simple and see how it does this year with the new 39s and 5.29s. I can see the 39s being a game-changer giving me the extra clearance needed to clear huge rocks. plus if I did all these changes at once, there ain't no way I'm wheeling in 2021. It'll be in the garage getting worked on. Enjoy the season and then re-evauluate. That'll maybe give someone else besides me time to be the first 1fz/a442 with a blackboxc2 installed.

Last edited:

I wish I had a suggestion but I don’t. Keep us all in the loop with any breakthroughs you might make.

A power train swap is in the future for anyone wanting to keep an 80 on the road as parts for these rigs are being discontinued. I love the Toyota stuff but to be honest , there are diesel and gas options and transmissions that net the owner better performance in every way these days whether the vehicle is used for smashing rocks or, gag, “Over landing”. Whatever happened to the word “expedition”?

Broke down and ordered eimkeith lower link reinforcement plates. $129 aint bad for all those bends. Could have fabbed up pieces to weld all over with out bends but that would have took me like a day to do. Sometimes it's not worth it to save a buck if theres a better and quicker solution already

A power train swap is in the future for anyone wanting to keep an 80 on the road as parts for these rigs are being discontinued. I love the Toyota stuff but to be honest , there are diesel and gas options and transmissions that net the owner better performance in every way these days whether the vehicle is used for smashing rocks or, gag, “Over landing”. Whatever happened to the word “expedition”?
Sooner or later moving out of CA is in my future. Once in a free State I'll be doing a swap to modernize and make the 80 more efficent. Really stupid how you can't throw any newer engine into a older automobile. If it passes the sniffer and is more efficent than the original is all it should matter. But we all know its about getting rid of old cars so people buy new cars. New cars = higher reg fees and tax revenue

Yeah, with new Cali rules pretty much eliminates any kind of gas engine swaps. Rv guys get PO boxes in AZ.
Sorry if we are mucking up your build thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom