Spring compressor tool (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used this one, $32 on Amazon. I still had the head on the motor and changed the valve stem seals.

IMG_3637.png

I used a similar one on my sbc that I purchased at harbor freight.

With the head off and access to a compressor, this pneumatic spring compressor is the quickest and easiest way to remove and install the springs. Maybe you could rent one?
IMG_0259.jpeg

I so seldom need one that I just get a free loaner from Auto Zone or O'Reily's.

I have the one my dad designed and built for like the PW R-985. I used it to change a broken valve spring on a 235 chevy truck engine, while it was in the truck with the head on. Take off the valve cover, pull the spark plug - feed in 3/8" poly rope down the hole, pull the fan blade to rotate the crank which moves the piston the rest of the way up supporting the valve on the compressed rope. Use tool to compress broken spring, remove keepers, put on new spring, use tool, install keepers, pull rope out, put in the plug, replace the valve cover. Almost that fast. The owner went in to make a pot of coffee for us - I was done before he came out with the coffee.

He says lets have a cup of coffee before we start. Too late I said and handed him the broken spring. Then I told him remember all the times you took me along with your two boys fishing and hunting when I was a kid - that's was more than payment in full.

Oh and as a side note, we boys bought that truck with scrap brass we picked out in the training area while hunting bunnies and picket pens. A spent 50 BMG round was worth a nickel. Many gunny sacks of brass were packed miles on our shoulders out to a road.

Happy New Year - you know the Chinese curse - may you live in interesting times - be careful what you ask for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom