Leaf spring going bad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

azw

Threads
I just bought an fj40 and i was wondering if I should change the leaf springs. They barely have any travel in the front.
are the leaf springs bad, or should I buy better shocks?

this is my first project car so, please bear with me and my bad questions. thank you :)

When you want help, year and market plus all the info you can supply will yield better results.

My 72 FJ40 is on its born springs. Front right now has a kink. I want/need to do something either new or re-arch all the way around. Jack the guy I bought it from in 82 said "you can't break those spring - too soft" His solution was to get some IH Travel All spring, throw away a couple of leaf's and have new eyes rolled on. There was a local shop that could do that or re-arch or I could do some store bought package like OME. I'd be ok with up to 2" of lift. Shocks are important too.

You can search for solutions to spring issues plus check the vendor offerings and the classified too

it's a 1984, Saudi market (don't know what it falls under),

I have very short travel, hitting the bump stop on almost any bump.

left from behind.jpg

left from front.jpg

right from behind.jpg

right from front.jpg

Those springs are gone…..2nd to last picture says it all….the retaining clip is broken and the long (top leaf) is deformed, spring stack is separating.
Agreed. Negative arch on a stock 40 spring is not only a sign of being worn out; it is a sign of fatigued metallurgy and impending failure. Replace ASAP!

thank you i guess ill be ordering new ones,

do you happen to know any good shackle lifts that aren't pricey? something around a 2" lift is good,

do you happen to know any good shackle lifts that aren't pricey? something around a 2" lift is good,

Be aware that since the shackle is only on one end of the spring pack, you only net half the extra length in actual lift height. So, if you put shackles that were 2" longer than stock on all four spring packs, you would only gain 1" in lift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom