Landcruiser Tool Kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
kit

any thoughts or info on a set like this. history, things worth knowing, value etc? Looks pretty cool. Was thinking about a gift for a brother. Thanks

$269 + Free Shipping..If you’re not looking for an exact specific year and just want to “keep it in the family” I don't see that this is a bad deal.

I did the same thing. Pieced together a non specific to the year kit in a reproduction old school tool roll.

How many lug wrenches do you need? I'm not well versed on tool kits, but it looks like a bunch of Toyota tools that are not specific to one particular kit, yr or model.

Its only money, do what you want. I think its a waste to invest in a grab bag mixed lot that will never be correct. If it was the factory issue kit for his unit, that would be a different story.

Maybe useful stuff like a : good jump box, air pump, cleanable air filter or oil filter, 2M HAM radio....

I did as @Chungas Revenge did; pieced one together and put in a canvas roll. Probably worked out to be about the price shown in the link but the jack was purchased separate and as I recall a bit pricey.
New Tool Roll.1.jpg

New Tool Roll.4.jpg

What year 40 does your brother have?

By the way, it appears @ClemsonCruiser might have a tool roll for sale in the classified section.

That's not much of a Land Cruiser tool kit. The jack, rods and handle are from a 1970/80s Toyota Hilux or Toyota Truck. Same for the tool pouches and tool roll. The tools are an assortment of items from various kits. The yellow handle screwdriver and 2 wrenches with the yellow clip are the only Land Cruiser tools.
s-l1600.png

If you are looking for a Land Cruiser tool kit, here are some representative period kits (not for sale). There are some variations within these (marking, color, type of tool), but they are good examples. Original, complete and in good condition, these can run into some $$.

8/1963-7/69. Large canvas tool roll, nice selection of tools.
Large Tool Roll.jpg

8/69-2/74. Medium canvas (later vinyl) tool roll, fewer tools than earlier.
Medium Tool Roll.jpg

3/1974-84. Tool bag, still fewer tools.
Tool Bag.JPG

Last edited:
That's not much of a Land Cruiser tool kit. The jack, rods and handle are from a 1970s Toyota Hilux or Toyota Truck. Same for the tool pouches and tool roll. The tools are an assortment of items from various kits. The yellow handle screwdriver and 2 wrenches with the yellow clip are the only Land Cruiser tools.
View attachment 3500802

If you are looking for a Land Cruiser tool kit, here are some representative period kits (not for sale). There are some variations within these (marking, color, type of tool), but they are good examples. Original, complete and in good condition, these can run into some $$.

1963-69. Large canvas tool roll, nice selection of tools.
View attachment 3500804

1970-74. Medium canvas (later vinyl) tool roll, fewer tools than earlier.
View attachment 3500806

1974-84. Tool bag, still fewer tools.
View attachment 3500808
really cool. many available for sale or hard to find - a proper set? I've got a 78 FJ40.

kit

any thoughts or info on a set like this. history, things worth knowing, value etc? Looks pretty cool. Was thinking about a gift for a brother. Thanks

really cool. many available for sale or hard to find - a proper set? I've got a 78 FJ40.
So... you're looking for a tool kit that your brother can purchase for you? :)

Does he have the straps to hold his future tool bag in place?

Complete kits come up for sale from time to time, Mud classifieds, ebay etc. Post a want ad in Mud classifieds and see what kind of response you get.

Partial kits are easier to find. The later 1970s tools are fairly easy to find, except for the original 2-wrench yellow clip. The original tool bags range from pristine to super-gnarly condition. Quality repro bags are available.

Early FJ60 kits are similar to later FJ40 kits. For example, one on eBay (no affiliation) for $379 or best offer. Has the 2-piece lug wrench instead of the 1-piece. Includes the wheel cap wrench (long rod with flat end) and wheel cap replacer (black bracket) which were part of later kits. Does not include a jack handle. The jack handle was a separate item and not part of the original tool kit. Missing the plastic wrench clip (which would have been red). Tool bag is in good condition (no tears, zipper in place, etc.). The bag is dirty but these clean up nicely. City Racer sells repro red and yellow 3-wrench style plastic clips. Asking price seems high for no jack handle and no wrench clip.
1701965822584.jpeg

That's not much of a Land Cruiser tool kit. The jack, rods and handle are from a 1970s Toyota Hilux or Toyota Truck. Same for the tool pouches and tool roll. The tools are an assortment of items from various kits. The yellow handle screwdriver and 2 wrenches with the yellow clip are the only Land Cruiser tools.
View attachment 3500802

1963-69. Large canvas tool roll, nice selection of tools.
View attachment 3500804

1970-74. Medium canvas (later vinyl) tool roll, fewer tools than earlier.
View attachment 3500806

1974-84. Tool bag, still fewer tools.
View attachment 3500808

Believe your dates are off. This from a 63.
IMG_0076 (2).jpg

This one is from a 10/69 70 model.
The carrot 009.JPG

Got them from the same person. He owned the 63 and traded it in for the 70. Purchased the 70 from him in 2011. Tool roll was under the driver's seat in the tool box. Hammer handle is dried out more from being stored inside vehicle that was parked under a carport in a dry climate all those years. Have paper from the original sale. Address was the same in 2011.

Edit: replaced the one of the 70 tool roll. One I posted was obviously not mine. Was pictured in the back of a different vehicle. This is both the 63 and 70 tool rolls in the back of the 100 series I owned.
Downed loaded picture I posted off the mud not mine.
PA290002.jpg

Last edited:
Tanker120 was making the “Repro” tool roll. It wasn’t correct for my 76, but then again, a lot of things weren’t correct on my 76. 🙄

D4565445-002A-412A-B74C-9B336692C25D.jpeg

0C68ACD1-0B4A-4E2E-A9D0-16BAB11A835B.jpeg

@TuckerHudson If you want to “build your own”, you can still pickup tools from the Japanese market. JIS screwdrivers, YOTA wrenches, ball-peen hammer etc etc.

4228B000-2F66-45F8-ADB0-69DB5B3267A1.jpeg

Interesting thing about the tool roll. It is somewhat comforting to know that it is there under my seat. But, fortunately, I have never actually used it. For any kind of maintenance or repair, I just use normal easily accessible tools from the workshop.

I’ve used the JIS screwdrivers “a bunch”. Wrenches on occasion and I’m pretty sure I threatened the Mule during a GR starter installation with the Ball-peen hammer more than once. 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom