SOR Header Fitment issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Starting the year off with some fresh 40 series ceramic headers from Specter Off-road. After mocking them up (what a pain 🙃) it almost looks clear to me that I have to notch out my OEM skid plate. They had no instructions and calling made things even less clear so if anyone installed this set and intermediate pipe pls lmk...

I have a 72' also didn't realize how easily these headers scratch I hope that ceramic coating is more durable than it looks. Spent good money to not have rusty headers 😅

PXL_20230103_211112516.jpg

PXL_20230103_210707901.jpg

PXL_20230103_204709972.jpg

PXL_20230103_211054311.jpg

plan on using a high quality gasket....like oem....not that crappy one they sell/send with it.
Got recommended a Remflex gasket, seems super thick and apparently no need for retorquing.
Was worried my skid plate bolts were gonna snap but after using a torch got her off no problem!

Got recommended a Remflex gasket, seems super thick and apparently no need for retorquing.
Was worried my skid plate bolts were gonna snap but after using a torch got her off no problem!
there is a love/hate thing with them...

Well I notched out as much as I felt comfortable weakening the skid plate. Not sure if the later model 40s have it different but 1mm of clearance doesn't give me confidence if I ever hit a rock. You would think with all the money I gave SOR they could at least show me a picture of a previous install 🤔

Now I just have to find another muffler since my flowmaster can is 2.5" and this end is 2 1/8". A lot smaller opening then what I was expecting 🙃

PXL_20230104_050756324.jpg

PXL_20230104_050816935.jpg

PXL_20230104_050844248.jpg

Nice work! You are likely going to have to increase the clearance between the skid plate and the header, or lower the skidplate with shims. As the exhaust system heats and cools and the truck parts shift, your header is likely to hit that skid plate and make noise.

I would aim for 1/4-1/2" clearance between the header and skidplate to be safe. If you are worried about a weakened skidplate, you could add a stiffener to the outside of the plate.

Here's another option:

Here's another option:
Not terribly priced and 1/4" thick, gonna need to buy a plasma cutter first just to make the notches! I'm guessing it's just steel right?

If you are in this same predicament, my skid was altered to accommodate a header by doing more bending than cutting. I think I have a pic of the cut skid stacked with one not "modified." I'll post if I
find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom