SOR Early Seat Vinyl (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have you guys seen these seat covers Specter has on $ale?

Page 310 Land Cruiser 40 Series Deluxe Seat Covers & Seat Cushions

Color looks a little off

310-65C-KIT-big.jpg

Those would only fit 1963+ seats. Although, the other 1962 parts truck I just bought does have the later style seats. Its a very late 1962 production, so they might be original. Every other 1961 & 1962 I've ever seen has the earlier style seats.

That said, Shane ripped me off, but did send me the last 11 yards of the coral vinyl he had made. I'll have 1/2 of that left over after my seat covers are made in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Believe the seat style changed the same time the tool box changed. I have a 62 FHT that was titled as a 63. It had the original driver's seat. I is the old tube frames style that requires loosening nuts to adjust. It also has the early tool box. Surprises me even SOR can't seem to get the years right on so many things.

Believe even Shane coral seat covers were for the later style. Was he suppose to make you a corral fitting set?

Splangy said:
Shane was supposed to make me the correct seat covers. Supposed to...

You mean like Paul pilgram taking money and not delivering parts or Ehsan taking money for hub caps then producing none?

I know Dave (fjfjfj) has saved (a piece of) the original seat vinyl. Those seats have been covered with seat covers for 50 years and were not faded. He sent me a little bit of it: my vinyl was original but completely faded.

My hardtop 1962 had replacement covers over the original covers for many years and the vinyl Shane had made is an exact reproduction. Dave's material may have been correct, but his drivers seat pattern was way off ;)

Last edited:
I talked to SOR counter person this year after I had my 1960 FJ25 seats done to see if they wanted a pattern made, they said they already had FJ25 covers. I mentioned that 25's did not have pleats and the color was red, not coral. But they just wanted to sell the wrong ones that they have.

Like LITP mentioned, it's amazing how the largest LC parts supplier in the country manages to completely screw up everything related to the early trucks. Those seat covers are wrong in so many ways.

I used the silver/gray covers on my '65 FJ45 (which came with orange seats), as there was no other choice at that time.

I joined $OR's 'club' to 'save big' on this purchase, and it did ultimately save me some money. Agreed that the orange is wrong.

Looks great!

Old thread but maybe @foxfab will see this
i used SORs grey covers since that was all that they had at the time
tn_sep17_0001.jpg
I see you put a board (?) under the passenger seat cushion. Was this because it needed more support? I have the same seats (I think) in my early ‘63 FJ45 and there are just three zig zag springs in the bottom frame and was wondering if that was enough. Also wondered if originally those zig zags were tied like zig zags in interior furniture? Here’s a pic of mine with the SOR covers - the cushion isn’t attached yet at the front:
IMG_3431.JPG

Yeah the ‘65 seats have the solid bottom and the springs on top of that, then there’s foam on top of that and the covers wrap around everything and are screwed to the bottom frame rail. With the 25 and very early 40 series seats (which were just 25 seats really) the “box spring“ was incorporated inside the bottom cover (with 1” foam, or horse hair back in the day) and that assembly was then attached to the frame by just two flaps along the front and screws. The incorporated box spring is only a couple of inches tall (thick) compared to the later springs on the solid base that are a good 4 to 5 inches tall. Without the incorporated box spring the base sags too much as the frame’s three zig zag springs don‘t provide enough support on their own. The sag reaches to the top of the fuel tank even with 2.8LB /ft3 density, 50LB ILD foam at 4” thick, which is what I have right now.

These are the SOR 25 covers (passenger) with 4” 2.8/50 foam only in the bottom. I don’t have the OEM internal box spring.
IMG_3442.JPG

Works but worried about clearance for tank, fuel sender.
IMG_3443.JPG

I made a reinforced thin board for under the lower cushion, helps with sag but sits too high. Maybe time will sag it, like me. But my 1/2 generation driver’s seat will sit a lot lower than the passenger if I mod it to fit the SOR 25 covers.

I wish this was easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom