Some guy wants to buy my 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just yesterday a good customer was in my shop and told me he recently sold his early Bronco that he never planned to sell to a friend of friend for below market price after the guy hounded him about it incessantly for a year. The buyer said it was his dream rig and came out with some hard luck stories to beat him down on price. Just a week after selling it the guy had it on Marketplace, Craigslist and listed on Ebay for DOUBLE what he paid for it.

This is my advice-

Give the guy first right of refusal at the same price anyone else offers when you put it up for sale. Do it this way and you can both feel good about it.

I 2nd the 40 series body on the 80 series frame idea.

I can't think of the company but I know there is one that sells stretched aluminum 40 series bodies custom built to fit on an 80 series frame.
Aqualu was one, I think. But I think they're getting out of that business...

I've sold 80s twice and regret both times. I've had 100 and two 200s and still keep coming back to the 80. I plan to hold onto this 80 as long as I can. I love my 200, but the 80 scratches a different itch.

Aqualu was one, I think. But I think they're getting out of that business...

I've sold 80s twice and regret both times. I've had 100 and two 200s and still keep coming back to the 80. I plan to hold onto this 80 as long as I can. I love my 200, but the 80 scratches a different itch.

Yeah, I just paid my 80 off and hit 150,000 miles. Now I get another 150,000 miles with no car payment. Soon it will be only be a dedicated hunting and adventure rig so it should last about 20 years. For the money I got into the rig it can't be beat.

People who try to buy cars that aren't for sale are looking for a bargain...

Just yesterday a good customer was in my shop and told me he recently sold his early Bronco that he never planned to sell to a friend of friend for below market price after the guy hounded him about it incessantly for a year. The buyer said it was his dream rig and came out with some hard luck stories to beat him down on price. Just a week after selling it the guy had it on Marketplace, Craigslist and listed on Ebay for DOUBLE what he paid for it....

More often than not, the "guy who wants to buy my car" is either a dreamer or a scumbag flipper.
The first guy can't afford it and the second guy is going to screw you over.
F**k both of them. Neither are going to pay you what it's worth to you (or even market value).
You don't owe them anything. It's your truck. If you want to engage them, give a stupid-high number... double what you think it's worth.

$0.02

Whenever someone (like in a parking lot) asks me if one of my 80's are for sale I tell them I'd sell for $30-40K (depending on my mood that day). Enough however so I can go out and buy another in better shape and lower miles.
They always walk away.

Price high, so you can make a keen buyer 'think' they are getting a deal out of you when you 'reduce' the price a bit down to what you'll really accept for it. Basic 80's here in oz in good condition sell for between 20k and 30k in aussie dollars.

That last paragraph is certainly where i feel the most confused. I understand the comfort part for sure, but i have a lot of options to drive around in if that is what im after. The 40 just looks bad ass, is a manual (something i currently lack), and is more rare like you said. I love my 80 though...sigh
Put a 5 speed in your 80. There, done!

I had a 40, diesel at that with ps. Fun rig, but I restored it and it was mint, and I mean mint!

I had a 60 series, several, also. That was better than the 40 again.

Now I have an 80, love it, would never go back to a 40 or 60 other than to have it and drive it occasionally.

The 80 is way better than both

Cheers

60 series. Now you are talking my speed. I have a 80 and a project 40 currently. Both my vehicles would go poof if the right 60 showed up. There was a grey diesel 60 in Washington State that caught my eye and my imagination. Thank the good Lord above it sold recently. Fly and drive with kobalt tools was on my mind every day for a month.

As someone who has had several 60's and currently has my dream stock 80 series, are you f*%$ing kidding me! Keep the 80, buy a 40 separately. You will regret selling your 80. Everyone hear has given solid advice, even the Aussies, lol. It's like passing on the land next to your property going for sale, you'll never be able to buy it again and you will regret it. Now if the guy gives you mad money, then use that to buy a nicer one and a 40. Just my humble opinion. Best of luck!

80's are a practical vehicle. You can get groceries, park in tight spots and haul 2500 lbs of auction crap inside one and drive 300 miles home on the bumpstops. Go skiing with the family. Drive 45 in snow and ice when everyone else is barely able to manage 20.

I see 40's hidden in garages and only driven on sunny days.

60's are common here like 80's. But they're older so condition is often an issue.

Everyone hear has given solid advice, even the Aussies, lol.

:hmm:

You see nice 80s in the roads every day in Australia.
Occasionally see 60s, rarely see 40s
Almost never see 55s.

Had a chance to drive some pretty nice examples of all of the above for extended periods (owned by uncles)

If i could wind back the clock and buy any of these cars, I'd take any of the vehicles above. All were exceptional in some way.

The 40 (HJ47) would be last on the list, mainly because they are way too small and cramped for a tall guy

:hmm:

You see nice 80s in the roads every day in Australia.
Occasionally see 60s, rarely see 40s
Almost never see 55s.

Had a chance to drive some pretty nice examples of all of the above for extended periods (owned by uncles)

If i could wind back the clock and buy any of these cars, I'd take any of the vehicles above. All were exceptional in some way.

The 40 (HJ47) would be last on the list, mainly because they are way too small and cramped for a tall guy
I think he’s referring to @sunrk 🤣

I have only been an owner since January but I have had a few people come up to me asking for a price. I usually give them an outrageous price and those people just smile, laugh, say “nice rig” and walk away. One guy got pissed at me because of the price I offered. I said to him “wait a minute, you are getting pissed at me for giving you a price you inquired about???”

I've had both a 40 and an 80. They are very different trucks as far as handling and comfort go. It sounds like you are comfortable with the maintenance end so that's a wash either way. The 80 is so much more refined than the 40 that there's really no comparison. It is literally comparing apples and oranges.

For a weekend toy, go with the 40. For anything you might actually drive around or commute in, stick with the 80. That's my two cents, YMMV. I have taken long trips in the 40 and it pretty much sucked. Same trip in an 80 was quiet and comfortable.

I get fed up with anyone making an unsolicited approach to ask if something is for sale - especially a vehicle. it's just plain rude.

It was mentioned a couple times and 40's aren't rare by any means. You might not see them driving as much as others but you can go online and have a pick of probably 10+ if you wanted to buy one right this second

I have both and it would be hard to get rid of either

I get fed up with anyone making an unsolicited approach to ask if something is for sale - especially a vehicle. it's just plain rude.

Why? I've let it slip I was interested in buying something if they ever decide to sell and later bought it. If I hadn't said something I probably never would have known they were going to put it up for sale.

I have bought many CNC's and heavy machines. All the major purchases have been from other businesses I'm friendly with and let them know if they ever want to sell a specific machine call me first. I bought a used machine worth about $100k for $2500 once. The plant manger called me and asked if I was interested in XXX machine. He wanted a cash today price for it, but it could sit there for a month if needed. I offered $5k, but I found I couldn't get that much cash out Friday afternoon. I could only get $2500 out of my bank. When I got there I got the story that the owner's wife was out of town so he was jumping on a plane to Vegas for a hookers and blow weekend, but he couldn't use any cards or his wife would find out. So I funded his corruption in return for a hell of a deal on a machine they'd already depreciated.

Moral of the story is sometimes it pays to express your interest in stuff unsolicited.

Might just be a cultural thing- Aus vs. U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom