Buy or Pass 94 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would pass on it also. You stated you're new to land cruisers so why not find one without all these issues. They are coming down in price and you should be able to find a nicer example for only a few dollars more. Just my opinion.

After listening to the noise in the engine, YES, I agree that engine had internal damage, I would walk away...

Yeah man the more I look at this the more I would pass on this at 5 grand… so yes the rocker is toast as I mentioned, but this damage goes much deeper just based on these few grainy hard-to-see photos.

Please observe the door gaps on the R/F fender to door. Not a good gap. It could be crappy photo and bad angle, but I doubt it.

The drivers side rear lower control arm is clearly bent badly in the photo. Judging by the condition of what I’m seeing mechanically so far it’s been driven like that for who knows how long. That WILL throw off your pinion angle and cause vibrations and if ignored will ruin your joints as well as damage transfer case output bearing and pinion bearings.

The collision damage seems to be on the drivers side hence the poorly repaired rocker. So expect door issues/paint repairs. Judging on the rocker repair quality I would brace yourself for much much more body issues if someone with experience looks at this for you.

That engine noise is 100% internal damage. As mentioned earlier it’s not a power steering gear that has been marred. I know this because my white 3X 1996 80 had just been to the dealer and they marred the power steering gear and made the horrible noise concern. That’s why the PO sold it to me as he couldn’t even trust the dealer to fix his 80. This engine is hurt.

I come from the used car industry and have diagnosed literally thousands of used vehicles purchased from auctions so I know all of their tricks to pass crap on to the next poor sucker. That knock is from the oiling system and can be heard from that engine start as it gets quieter once the oil pressure builds. (That is not the chain slap that other 80 owners mention.). The chain rattle and power steering gear noise are a higher pitch and this seems much lower indicating you will be buying an engine rebuild asap.
I appreciate all of that advice! I’ve studied these photos for days now and didn’t notice half the stuff you did😂 I guess I was wearing my rose colored glasses on this one. I walked away from it. Im gonna be sending you all of my potential buys from now on😉 just kidding. Thanks again!

I would pass on it also. You stated you're new to land cruisers so why not find one without all these issues. They are coming down in price and you should be able to find a nicer example for only a few dollars more. Just my opinion.
I agree with you! And my wife would too lol. Thanks for the advice! I walked away from this one.

I didnt read all the posts so not sure if it was already noted, but this truck has been for sale for a couple of months now. I thought it was odd that it had Texas plates but it was in another state. I have a feeling the person bought it site unseen maybe from an auction/trade in and once he took delivery he noticed it had some issues.

Just food for thought. Probably good you decided to walk.

I didnt read all the posts so not sure if it was already noted, but this truck has been for sale for a couple of months now. I thought it was odd that it had Texas plates but it was in another state. I have a feeling the person bought it site unseen maybe from an auction/trade in and once he took delivery he noticed it had some issues.

Just food for thought. Probably good you decided to walk.
Yeah I had the same thought about the Texas tags as well. I asked the guy who he bought it from and he said a friend of a family member. Said he only owned it for a month and a half, which was a red flag for me as well since it's been listed pretty much since he got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom