Looking to buy 80 series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I'm looking to gte an 80 series and one popped up for (maybe) a good deal close-ish to me. I will post the link below, but it has a pretty mashed up driver's rear quarter. It also has some rust on the frame that will need tended to. Is this a fair price for such a low-milage cruiser? I can do work on the mechanical side if anything is wrong, but I can't do body work. How much would you guys think it'd be to get this stuff fixed up. I sent him a message about the frame, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I can update with that information once I get it.

Check listing out here

No way to tell from one picture!!

IMHO, I would pass. The body work alone will be more than buying a straight example. They want $10k for an auction vehicle, does it have a clean tittle or salvage/branded? Rust is also a factor. There are vehicles out there that are in better condition for not much more albeit the mileage might not be as low but these are built to last.

If you want a more detailed (pick apart the pictures) description I am sure we can accommodate.

Last edited:
Hey all, I'm looking to gte an 80 series and one popped up for (maybe) a good deal close-ish to me. I will post the link below, but it has a pretty mashed up driver's rear quarter. It also has some rust on the frame that will need tended to. Is this a fair price for such a low-milage cruiser? I can do work on the mechanical side if anything is wrong, but I can't do body work. How much would you guys think it'd be to get this stuff fixed up. I sent him a message about the frame, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I can update with that information once I get it.

Check listing out here
Guessing you want a straight unit and won't be using it as a trail rig, or you wouldn't be asking.
Not familiar with FB MP but the "miles driven" thing leaves room for interpretation.
$10k for 110kmi is rather low imo, regardless of the panel damage.
And other missing bits...can't say for sure. Recommend an in-person look-see before moving further.

Check listing out here
Not for 10k. Low mileage doesnt mean much if its in s*** condition.

Twin cities car is going to be rotted with rust if it spent its life there
For 10k id rather have a higher mileage example that spent its time in the south west and is CLEAN.

Some really big indicators of deeper rust according to the Facebook listing on that truck. I am from California so don't have a ton of experience, but my family is from Minny, that truck probably doesn't look very good underneath and I would be suspect of the rockers, frame, etc

Do not buy. There will be allot of rust hidden in rockers, dog leg etc and it's probably pretty rough underneath. For 10k you could find a much better base to start with and as someone above mentioned get a rust free as possible truck to start with. I live in Canada so I'm fully aware of how rusty vehicles can be and some hide it well like FZJ80's.

Hell no, not for $4450, much less $9450. That's a $2450 truck, maybe. It looks like the doors he replaced are a different shade of blue from the rest of the truck.

It also has a salvage title. 8 owners and has only had 10,000 miles put on it in 8 years, unless it has a faulty odometer. Most of its life has been in MA and IL - lots of salt.

Last edited:
I’ve got a 96 in Cali you can buy for 12k. Zero rust and HG done.

Hell no, not for $4450, much less $9450. That's a $2450 truck, maybe. It looks like the doors he replaced are a different shade of blue from the rest of the truck.

It also has a salvage title. 8 owners and has only had 10,000 miles put on it in 8 years, unless it has a faulty odometer. Most of its life has been in MA and IL - lots of salt.
Or the cluster is from the donor :( vehicle the doors and other bits came from.

Or the cluster is from the donor :( vehicle the doors and other bits came from.
The mileage tracks through its life. It went odometer exempt at about 97,000 so it doesn't report a mileage any longer where it's registered.

Ditto: unfortunately that poor Nightshadow Blue 80 has significant body damage and rust. As already mentioned, the left side body panels (fender, both doors) have been replaced and the left quarter panel is crushed. That alone would cost thousands by itself to fix correctly if you could find a shop that would/could do the work.

And then a complete repaint so it all matches would start at $5000+, a good job $10,000+

Note the owner/seller did not fix the quarter panel, but did replace the fender and doors: likely because it's so expensive to cut out and replace a quarter panel and/or he couldn't find a shop willing to do the work.

If you look closely at the left rocker panel near the rear wheel arch there is significant rust and likely a prior bondo patch.

Unless you're daddy owns a body shop I would pass, either way I wouldn't offer much more than $1500-2000 for the parts depending on their condition.

I think the OP has left the chat 😉

I haven't completely left the chat, I just got the photos and REALLY realized I didn't want the truck. Realized about an hour ago that I forgot to update you guys🫢
IMG_DF9E0E11CD0F-1.jpeg
IMG_D05722F30CB3-1.jpeg
Imagen JPEG-47E7-8FDD-5A-0.jpeg
IMG_018EBFE587E6-1.jpeg

If I found the right one, looks like the FB seller paid about $5200 for it at auction + fees. Realizing he got burned, he's trying to unload it, seemingly thinking a 110,000 mile turd is worth $9450. Unfortunately, that truck is terminal. It is worth $2000 max for parts.

To channel Tommy Boy - the low mile fairy isn't going to come by and leave a quarter under your pillow....the seller knows all he's doing is selling you a low mile piece of sh%t.

Not that this thread needs anymore input, but if that is a MN truck with 110,000 actual miles, it has never been washed. Or if it has, it's been washed in salt water. I've got a basket case rust bucket minnesota 80 with 270,000 miles and far less frame rust. Buy this only if you hate money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom