Best place to buy. A diesel series 80 JDM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been casually looking for a series 80 JDM and would like to ask for some recommendations on the best place and/or way to find one and purchase one.

Any help you can offer would be great.

Thanks!

Can't say if it's the "best place", because I have nothing to compare it to. Seems very legit though.

I recently visited it to check out a vehicle another Mud member was looking to buy. I facilitated a virtual inspection of a Prado via Facetime. He ended up buying it.

It's a rabbit hole. Lots of ways to go, some easier than others. Here's my little data dump from when I was searching.

First, are you interested in importing one yourself? If so, start reading here:

Other markets besides Japan had diesel 80s - each with their own pros and cons - from Europe to Australia to Central and South America.

Japan has a standardized auction system so it's easy to watch online, view the auction sheets etc. but there's a lot to learn to find the right one. You'll run into odometer rollbacks and spray paint covering rust. Don't trust every "40K km 30-year-old vehicle." They're out there, but the condition of the engine, the drivetrain, the interior needs to match the KMs.

If you'd rather buy one that's stateside or work with an importer to make life easier:

1. Mud classifieds - FJ80 | FZJ80 | LX450 | HDJ81 - https://forum.ih8mud.com/forums/fj80-fzj80-lx450-hdj81.325/
Diesels pop up every now and then and usually these trucks have decent maintenance. Unless the seller just joined Mud to try to make a quick buck.

This is a perfect example of the gold you can find if you're patient:

2. https://www.uncommonmotorcars.com/inventory
I haven't bought from these guys but the owner was helpful when I called and talked over a few 80s in his inventory.

3. Back 40 Imports - https://back40imports.com/80-series-cruisers

4. https://www.instagram.com/canarianlandcruiserexports
This guy is very helpful. The Canary Islands have some really clean trucks because of the arid climate.

5. CANARY ISLAND ROVER - PURVEYOR OF CLASSIC CARS FROM THE CANARY ISLANDS SPAIN - https://www.canaryislandrover.com/

6. Bring a Trailer
There are always diesel 80s popping up there but some are good, some are bad. Some BaT sellers are just flipping cars. And once you factor in the fees and bidding wars it gets $$$$

7. Facebook
It's FB, what can I say.. haha. but if you watch it you'll find clean cruisers every now and then

Oh and if you do buy from an importer that doesn't necessarily specialize in Land Cruisers, make sure to vet them first. There's a lot of sketchy importers out there in the JDM performance scene. Some good ones though. Toprank Vehicle Importers comes to mind.

Good resource here:

If you want a diesel Series 80, contact Back40 Imports, in Kalispell, MT, and have Dave Martin build you one. That's what I did. We started with a clean 1993 truck, which we bought in the PacNW for (I think) $4500, and Dave installed a 1 HD-T after going through it (reseal, rod bearing update, etc) This was not a cheap project, but I got frequent updates with photos and the finished truck has been great. He's a straight shooter and knows LCs very well indeed.

If you want a diesel Series 80, contact Back40 Imports, in Kalispell, MT, and have Dave Martin build you one. That's what I did. We started with a clean 1993 truck, which we bought in the PacNW for (I think) $4500, and Dave installed a 1 HD-T after going through it (reseal, rod bearing update, etc) This was not a cheap project, but I got frequent updates with photos and the finished truck has been great. He's a straight shooter and knows LCs very well indeed.

I realize all situations are different, but can you give a very loose approximation of what he might charge to do a 1HD-T/Manual transmission conversion in an 80? I know there are tons of variables. But let's say, in a perfect world where there are no other repairs to be done. Simply converting the 80 to a 1HD-T diesel with a manual transmission. (Not counting the cost of parts. Just the Conversion cost)

I've done no biz with them, just oogled some of their offerings, but
OttoEx Adventure Vehicles and Campers | Portland, OR | USA - https://www.ottoex.com/ specializes in various JDM 4x4s. Lots of strange ones, but Land Cruisers from time to time. Lately he's been getting a few from Australia, too. Looks to be on the pricier side, but some really neat ones from time to time. One recent gem, a '93 80 series with barn doors, diesel, 5-speed, diff locks and factory PTO winch. All vinyl inside, just the way I'd want one new. And this one practically was, only 29k...and that might have been kilometers. It sold fast. It's pics are still up in the Inventory and they also made a Youtube video of it. Pure Cruiser P0rn.

I realize all situations are different, but can you give a very loose approximation of what he might charge to do a 1HD-T/Manual transmission conversion in an 80? I know there are tons of variables. But let's say, in a perfect world where there are no other repairs to be done. Simply converting the 80 to a 1HD-T diesel with a manual transmission. (Not counting the cost of parts. Just the Conversion cost)
My truck was done a few years ago. I don't know if parts prices etc have gone up. Contact him, he can tell you, mention me and this discussion. Also, you should consider an automatic. I started off wanting a 5 speed manual, but if you ever want to tow anything, the automatic is MUCH better. First gear in the manual is so low it's pretty much wasted.

My truck was done a few years ago. I don't know if parts prices etc have gone up. Contact him, he can tell you, mention me and this discussion. Also, you should consider an automatic. I started off wanting a 5 speed manual, but if you ever want to tow anything, the automatic is MUCH better. First gear in the manual is so low it's pretty much wasted.

I won't be doing any towing with this 80 greater than the occasional utility trailer. But, my experience with towing, has been that a manual can withstand the greater loads much better. Maybe an 80 is different?

I won't be doing any towing with this 80 greater than the occasional utility trailer. But, my experience with towing, has been that a manual can withstand the greater loads much better. Maybe an 80 is different?
Dave recommended the heavy-duty automatic for my truck. I don't do much towing, either, but the automatic was what he recommended. I also live in an area where we have a lot of traffic, and I drive the LC often, so the automatic is better. Your uses may be different from mine. Nothing against manuals- my Tacoma is a manual, and I've owned quite a few stick-shift cars and trucks.

I spoke with Dave. Heck of a nice guy. He gave me some good info, and a few figures of how much I could expect to spend on a conversion like this.

Manual 80series diesel are a great tow rig.

I had a HDJ81, H151F manual. I regularly towed a heavy tool trailer.

Never found 1st gear "too low", if anything H151F 1st was higher than I'd like. H150F has lower 1st gear.

I had a few instances where I had to start on a steep hill and started in Low range. JDM and Aussie spec 80s have synchros on high range gears, so you can get rolling in low range, and shift to high range on the fly. (I believe NA spec t-case has no synchros?)

When not towing, any of the turbo diesel manuals can launch in 2nd gear on flat ground. But, they are also designed for offroad use where lower gearing is a benefit

I should mention that the first diesel LC I had was a manual, JDM, RHD truck. This may be a function of my age and lack of adaptability, but I could not get used to RHD, in traffic, etc. It wasn't going to work for me. That truck was a non-turbo 1-HZ, I think it's called, and a five-speed. I would still have it if it had been LHD.

The advantage of starting with a USA spec LHD truck are that you can look it over before you start the project, and address its needs (after all, all these trucks are thirty years old, or close), you don't have emission rules to meet (in just about all states exc CA a truck this old is grandfathered in as historic) and if you need to order parts other than for the engine etc, the car has a USA VIN. And Dave Martin can get any other parts you need, USA or otherwise.

I think from start to finish, my build took about 4-5 months, and was then shipped to me. You can PM me here if you have any other questions. Good luck!!

Manual 80series diesel are a great tow rig.

I had a HDJ81, H151F manual. I regularly towed a heavy tool trailer.

JDM and Aussie spec 80s have synchros on high range gears, so you can get rolling in low range, and shift to high range on the fly. (I believe NA spec t-case has no synchros?)

You are correct. I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that the U.S. spec 80's are all automatics, or if they just figured that drivers in the U.S. wouldn't need to shift out of 4wd on the fly. Either way, I'm sure it saved them a miniscule amount of money anyway.

I should mention that the first diesel LC I had was a manual, JDM, RHD truck. This may be a function of my age and lack of adaptability, but I could not get used to RHD, in traffic, etc. It wasn't going to work for me. That truck was a non-turbo 1-HZ, I think it's called, and a five-speed. I would still have it if it had been LHD.

The 1-HZ is pretty much known as the most reliable out of the straight 6 Toyota Diesels. Unfortunately, that reliability comes at a price. It is also known for having the least power out of this series of engine.

You are correct. I don't know if it has something to do with the fact that the U.S. spec 80's are all automatics, or if they just figured that drivers in the U.S. wouldn't need to shift out of 4wd on the fly. Either way, I'm sure it saved them a miniscule amount of money anyway.

The 1-HZ is pretty much known as the most reliable out of the straight 6 Toyota Diesels. Unfortunately, that reliability comes at a price. It is also known for having the least power out of this series of engine.
Yeah, it's not a fireball. The turbo version is much better.

When I've looked at their listings, they are all RHD. Some folks are okay with RHD..

All JDM’s will be RHD, and nearly all will be automatics. If you want a LHD, you’ll have to look in Europe, South America, the Middle East, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom