Some guy wants to buy my 80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say you get 16k for it. What does a 16k 40 series look like these days? I would hope you'd get a running and driving sample, but I haven't been keeping an eye on them. I've been "thinking" about a different cruiser or even no cruiser (Gasp) lately, and nothing else would be an even trade that wouldn't land me right back in project mode or cost at least double what I could maybe sell mine for. All that said, for me right now, another $1500 in random bits and pieces and a couple of productive weekends would get me sorted and happy with mine.

I only worry about it when im really taking it to harder places which is kind of the idea of owning it. If i got the 40, i wouldn't take it to the same hard places i would take my 80.

So in reality, a 40 achieves nothing aside from a different aesthetic. And maybe more work keeping it living

While that is a factor, like you said, it's probably going to be in the same ball park. I need to drive a 40 i think before i can really make a determination. I just really love the design and look. I love taking the 80 off road, but i don't quite get the excitement of it like i used to.
I have a 40 and 80. Besides looks and coolness factor the 80 is better in every way lol.

If I get in my 80 right after driving the 40 it's like driving a rolls Royce. So much more comfortable, quiet and smoother. Remember depending on year you will have no power steering, no AC and so on.

If I had to get rid of one though I would get rid of my 80 just because the 40 is rarer and more special but I would never buy a 40 to replace my 80.

Rebody your 80 with a 40 chassis. Best of both worlds. 40/80

No dice. Keep the 80. $25k just to keep honest people from buying your rig.

Keep it even if they offer $25k.

I need to drive a 40 i think before i can really make a determination.

👍

Since you're soliciting opinions here, FWIW: After owning a 40 for a couple years over a decade ago, no way I'd go back to one. Good luck with your decision.

Our 80s look to be in similar shape except mine was 50k less miles and yours has lockers some minor variances in lift. IMHO OEM Lockers are extremely overvalued.

I personally wouldn't pay much more than $15k which is about what I would sell to a friend. For anyone else I would probably list it for $20k and go no lower than $15k

I have a 40 and 80. Besides looks and coolness factor the 80 is better in every way lol.

If I get in my 80 right after driving the 40 it's like driving a rolls Royce. So much more comfortable, quiet and smoother. Remember depending on year you will have no power steering, no AC and so on.

If I had to get rid of one though I would get rid of my 80 just because the 40 is rarer and more special but I would never buy a 40 to replace my 80.
That last paragraph is certainly where i feel the most confused. I understand the comfort part for sure, but i have a lot of options to drive around in if that is what im after. The 40 just looks bad ass, is a manual (something i currently lack), and is more rare like you said. I love my 80 though...sigh

👍

Since you're soliciting opinions here, FWIW: After owning a 40 for a couple years over a decade ago, no way I'd go back to one. Good luck with your decision.
Interesting! Why is that?

If someone else approaches you to attempt purchase of an item not for sale ...isn't it customary for them to propose a number and you to accept or counter? Anything else is both a burden on yourself and poor negotiation to boot. My .02.
He didn't approach me though. He is someone my friend knows. I've met him only once and he was drooling over my rig. The other day he told my buddy he wanted it was curious if i would sell it or not. My friend told him he doubted it but would ask.

Let's say you get 16k for it. What does a 16k 40 series look like these days? I would hope you'd get a running and driving sample, but I haven't been keeping an eye on them. I've been "thinking" about a different cruiser or even no cruiser (Gasp) lately, and nothing else would be an even trade that wouldn't land me right back in project mode or cost at least double what I could maybe sell mine for. All that said, for me right now, another $1500 in random bits and pieces and a couple of productive weekends would get me sorted and happy with mine.
Good points. I figured I'd need to come up with about $10k on my part to be into a solid rig. Why are you considering leaving the market?

Interesting! Why is that?
Because they're so impractical and uncomfortable. Harsh ride, quite noisy, inadequate legroom, very limited range due to small gas tank/terrible MPG, no PS, small cargo capacity, smelly exhaust, extremely prone to rust. Do they look cool? Most definitely.

Nice suspension and cloth is a plus, but from a buyer’s standpoint the truck sucks IMO

If you want to own a Land Cruiser I would hold onto it. They’re getting harder to get… That’s why the guy wants to buy yours.

Most important detail in my opinion is that you've had the 80 for a while and haven't been using it. Why do you think you haven't been using it? Are the reasons temporary or relatively easy to change? If the 80 is likely to continue sitting then I say sell it and free up the space/time it occupies.

An 80 and a 40 are very different rigs and if you want something rough, old and topless an 80 will never scratch that itch. A 40 or old Jeep would but would you still prefer the side by side? I'd only get a 40 if it's going to be used and bring sufficient value to you and your family to justify upkeep. Having one less thing to feed and care for will just mean more time and resources for things you are more interested in.

Looks pretty clapped out without a grille, no flares, and wonky looking rims. Otherwise nice rig

People who try to buy cars that aren't for sale are looking for a bargain but should pay a premium, that's my opinion. Your 80 is worth X (I agree, $16K-$20K in this market is not crazy), and he should pay X x 1.? to buy it. So, that's $25K. You can sell that rig any time, for $15K or maybe even more, in one weekend on Craigslist or FB Marketplace. So, that's just money you have available to you anytime, no problem. Take your time, drive a 40, etc.
I would cry if I sold my 80, though it may come to that someday.

He didn't approach me though. He is someone my friend knows. I've met him only once and he was drooling over my rig. The other day he told my buddy he wanted it was curious if i would sell it or not. My friend told him he doubted it but would ask.
Little more than semantics...he instigated the proposition we are discussing here. Make him suggest a number then go from there. Even if you give him a number he is then going to research before he agrees. And he is almost guaranteed to counter with less than your number, regardless of value.

I 2nd the 40 series body on the 80 series frame idea.

I can't think of the company but I know there is one that sells stretched aluminum 40 series bodies custom built to fit on an 80 series frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom