Buy or Pass 94 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As the title suggest, I'm going to look at this Land Cruiser very soon. It'll be the first one I've ever owned so pretty stoked! From the pictures, interior is great and no rust. 211,000 Miles. Owner says they recently replaced the radiator. But here's the thing, it has this engine noise coming from it. He describes it as a knock. But from the videos, it sounds more like a tick. I asked him if he had gotten it diagnosed and he said the mechanic told him it needed a valve adjustment. From the forums I've gone through and listening to those videos, it sounds like a PS gear. But potentially an exhaust leak as well. What do y'all think? (I'll post videos of sound below) I'm going to do the OTRAMM pre-inspection, but what else should I check based off this noise? Also what would y'all pay for something like this? He listed it for $9,500 but I'll try to do some negotiation. Side note - I want to keep this vehicle for a long time and do all the work myself. Worst case scenario, it needs an engine rebuild (I don't think it will based off sound) which I don't mind doing, just don't want to drop more than what it is worth just to turn around and do a rebuild. If I get it, it'll be buried with me. I appreciate the input!
409757156_7285313134894831_4487707662819562514_n.jpg
408540119_24565603999721562_1219657196459433149_n.jpg
408447645_6979430852172095_3568213354397252879_n.jpg
404255524_7238059922873113_3677333785057555263_n.jpg
403774249_7194835657204769_3309642370599043484_n.jpg

'94 is kind of an odd-ball cross over year so some parts (e.g., O2 sensors) and unavailable or hard to come by.

'94 is kind of an odd-ball cross over year so some parts (e.g., O2 sensors) and unavailable or hard to come by.
Would you say enough of an odd ball year to stay away from getting one all together and looking at other years or just be prepared to be looking for parts? I'm a newbie so I don't know much. Just 5-6 months of research in my free time

94 should be fine, I have found and replaced o2 sensors, looks good on the inside and out. Over spray paint underneath, might want to find out what kind of damage it was from. Good starting point.

94 should be fine, I have found and replaced o2 sensors, looks good on the inside and out. Over spray paint underneath, might want to find out what kind of damage it was from. Good starting point.
Thank you! You think price is fair? He wants it gone pretty bad so I've managed to do some negotiating over the phone to get down to $8500.

Thank you! You think price is fair? He wants it gone pretty bad so I've managed to do some negotiating over the phone to get down to $8500.
From what I see, yes, in my opinion. Paint and body cost the most. mechanicals are cheap in comparison.

Looks like a nice 80. If it were me, I'd get a professional opinion on that knock. Those rebuilds aren't cheap.
Noted. A buddy of mine who's been working on old cars & suvs for 30+ years is going with me

Last edited:
If you don't know these vehicles paying for a pre-purchase inspection may be money well spent.

The thing is with a 30 year old rig, stuff is going to need to be done, deferred maintenance completed, tired rubber bits replaced, etc. I'd plan on potentially 3-5K USD in possible needs.

Plus you either need the skills and tools yourself or know a good shop and be prepared to pay for it. IMO most mechanics don't have that much interest in working on older vehicles, nor do most know the quirks of old land cruisers.

The '94 is a bit unique, but I haven't run into much that is totally unavailable. Lots is available used still or there are substitutions. There are definitely things, like the dash, engine wire harness, that are mostly unobtanium. Other things you can get used (ECU, MAP sensor). Some things you can use '95-97 alternatives like the O2 sensors, IAC valve, etc.

If you don't know these vehicles paying for a pre-purchase inspection may be money well spent.

The thing is with a 30 year old rig, stuff is going to need to be done, deferred maintenance completed, tired rubber bits replaced, etc. I'd plan on potentially 3-5K USD in possible needs.

Plus you either need the skills and tools yourself or know a good shop and be prepared to pay for it. IMO most mechanics don't have that much interest in working on older vehicles, nor do most know the quirks of old land cruisers.

The '94 is a bit unique, but I haven't run into much that is totally unavailable. Lots is available used still or there are substitutions. There are definitely things, like the dash, engine wire harness, that are mostly unobtanium. Other things you can get used (ECU, MAP sensor). Some things you can use '95-97 alternatives like the O2 sensors, IAC valve, etc.
Thank you! I appreciate the advice

That damage to the rocker doesn’t look fantastic…. It has rust already happening which means if you want it to last for many years your going to need someone to actually replace the rocker itself and repair it right. That rust is coming from the inside out which means will only get worse and become a giant hole. If that knock/tick is anything outside of the power steering gear I would plan on a rebuild anyways. 200k is young for a 1FZ to die though. Makes you wonder the maintenance history.

Looks like a nice truck, but I would beat him up on price about that noise. A rebuild using OEM parts is gonna be a 10k project. Not saying it needs a rebuild just plan for the worst so you’re not disappointed if it comes to that. Clean trucks are hard to come. Agree with the rocker rusting inside out is bad news.

94 is a great year, I love mine. I have been able to get what it needs.
Not to say that everything is still available! It's not. But like others have said there are alternatives and used.
IMHO that’s not the power steering gear. It’s for sure a knock.
The power steering gear noise is more consistent. That noise/ knock gets worse with more RPM.
The interior looks nice and clean and cloth is a big plus !
At 64 years of age I have bought and sold a lot of used cars and trucks ( it’s been a hobby for me ) any time I see a new radiator it scares me, especially accompanied by a knock in the engine, my best guess is it got overheated badly. That and the rocker issue would have me negotiating heavily.
Prices are not what they were during Covid
And these truck are not selling like they were and not for the crazy amounts they were getting.
I would go into like it needs a full rebuild in other words it’s a 4 to 5k truck only because it’s clean,white, unmolested and has a cloth interior.

Last edited:
That damage to the rocker doesn’t look fantastic…. It has rust already happening which means if you want it to last for many years your going to need someone to actually replace the rocker itself and repair it right. That rust is coming from the inside out which means will only get worse and become a giant hole. If that knock/tick is anything outside of the power steering gear I would plan on a rebuild anyways. 200k is young for a 1FZ to die though. Makes you wonder the maintenance history.
Thanks for the information! I have been wondering about the maintenance history as well. I asked the guy and he said that no one has changed anything except this radiator. I'm no expert by any means but from most of the threads that I have read they say it is very uncommon for the valves to need to be adjusted, which makes me wonder if someone got in there and did something.

Looks like a nice truck, but I would beat him up on price about that noise. A rebuild using OEM parts is gonna be a 10k project. Not saying it needs a rebuild just plan for the worst so you’re not disappointed if it comes to that. Clean trucks are hard to come. Agree with the rocker rusting inside out is bad news.
Yeah I want to get him down way lower for it to be worth the work and potential rebuild in worst case scenario.

94 is a great year, I love mine. I have been able to get what it need.
Not to say that everything is still available! It not. But like other have said there are alternatives and used.
IMHO that’s not the power steering gear. It’s for sure a knock.
The power steering gear noise is more consistent. That noise/ knock gets worse with more RPM.
The interior looks nice and clean and cloth is a big plus !
At 64 years of age I have bought and sold a lot of used cars and trucks ( it’s been a hobby for me ) any time I see a new radiator it scares me, especially accompanied by a knock in the engine, my best guess is it got overheated badly. That and the rocker issue would have me negotiating heavily.
Prices are not what they were during Covid
And these truck are not selling like they were and not for the crazy amounts they were getting.
I would go into like it need a full rebuild in other words it’s a 4 to 5k truck only because it’s clean,white, unmolested and has a cloth interior.
I appreciate the wisdom! Thank you

Yeah man the more I look at this the more I would pass on this at 5 grand… so yes the rocker is toast as I mentioned, but this damage goes much deeper just based on these few grainy hard-to-see photos.

Please observe the door gaps on the R/F fender to door. Not a good gap. It could be crappy photo and bad angle, but I doubt it.

The drivers side rear lower control arm is clearly bent badly in the photo. Judging by the condition of what I’m seeing mechanically so far it’s been driven like that for who knows how long. That WILL throw off your pinion angle and cause vibrations and if ignored will ruin your joints as well as damage transfer case output bearing and pinion bearings.

The collision damage seems to be on the drivers side hence the poorly repaired rocker. So expect door issues/paint repairs. Judging on the rocker repair quality I would brace yourself for much much more body issues if someone with experience looks at this for you.

That engine noise is 100% internal damage. As mentioned earlier it’s not a power steering gear that has been marred. I know this because my white 3X 1996 80 had just been to the dealer and they marred the power steering gear and made the horrible noise concern. That’s why the PO sold it to me as he couldn’t even trust the dealer to fix his 80. This engine is hurt.

I come from the used car industry and have diagnosed literally thousands of used vehicles purchased from auctions so I know all of their tricks to pass crap on to the next poor sucker. That knock is from the oiling system and can be heard from that engine start as it gets quieter once the oil pressure builds. (That is not the chain slap that other 80 owners mention.). The chain rattle and power steering gear noise are a higher pitch and this seems much lower indicating you will be buying an engine rebuild asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom