Soft top suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So they were selling bow sets that they had bent for them? How much is a tube bender, compared to the presses and dies they have? Something doesn't sound right.

The issue is the radius on the bends is sharper than what most hand bender can duplicate. I have a 3/4" conduit bender and it no where close as factory bows. It's like comparing the sides of the roll bars early to 8/76+. It's obvious the difference without looking that hard.

This is the best picture I have of the radius comparing the very early soft top to the mid 63 on.
0003 (1).JPG

I'm familiar with the geometry. I wouldn't believe it could be bent by hand. My question was why a company with the investments in equipment Real Steel has would not be able to afford a tube bender to produce one of their signature products. Tube benders are beer money compared to high pressure presses and their investment in production dies.

My soft top is on….I have no desire to call real steel to rehash a conversation I had a few weeks ago to clarify something that I could have misunderstood.
I assumed the guy I spoke to was talking about hiring someone to bend tubes. Perhaps he was talking about a pice of equipment. Either way…….

@cims1970fj40
Tough choice on the color for sure.
I did not have to modify the b pillar.
The channel which goes on top of the door, between the b pillar and the wind shield frame required some minor trimming. And the rear hoop of the soft top bows had to be shortened.

@cims1970fj40
My barnacle brain made it worse than it should have been.
Was not too bad.
I have a question. I noticed in a post that you mentioned that if you had to do it again with the bows you would go with real steel. What are the main differences please? I’m asking because I texted a mud member near me asking if he received his soft top from Julie and replied he didn’t and sold his 40. He also mentioned he had the real steel kit. As you probably aware real steel doesn’t sell the tubes anymore so I’m going to decide which bows to go with and would like your input. Thanks

@cims1970fj40 …. @120mm has some photos in this thread of his real steel kit.
It looks like it needs no modifications to install. And the channels between the b pillar and wind shield frame look better IMO.
I am not unhappy with the TROA. However.
I would buy the real steel kit and get it powder coated, painted installed while waiting on the top from Troa. FWIW.

I spoke to Julie with Dirt Road tops today and also considering buying one of hers. She told me she’s about 8 months out but have a feeling it’s longer. I currently don’t have my cruiser on the road so it wouldn’t be that big of a deal other than me being impatient and wanting to see it on.

Hell I even thought of getting a sniper first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom