Soft top suggestions? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Roastchestnuts

TLCA #28675 Salt wagon Fj40
Threads
I saw this fj40 in Red River New Mexico on my Honeymoon. I think it was a 73. But unsure. (what the owner said) It was a very cool one. Had a 4speed manual and a 1f 155 engine. I did notice the fender openings in the rear were cut. (thought that was weird somebody would do that.

One thing I really liked was the factory style soft top. I had not looked at one in person before. I really want to get one now. would be perfect for around here at the beach. before seeing one in person I was just going to do a bestop one..... but this is soo much better looking.. and I think the one on this cruiser its a cheeper top kit. I dont mind the look of this one though.

Would anybody be able to make suggestions on where to get a top and the bows and the windshield channel? I know Real steel has the bows and a few other places. additionally a few places have the tops. I have done a-lot of research on these already and apparently tops from Julie are the way to go. (is she still in business? )

Additionally my fj40 is a 1964. I dont know if there is any issue with years and compatibility with tops. any tips would be helpful. I know @BenjaminCA has a nice video up on youtube with his that has some good info on the tops.

_R001235.jpg

I got lucky and found a top of unknown make on FB marketplace and got bows from Real Steel. Be forewarned that if you have "regular" hard top doors you will have to modify the Real Steel B-pillars to work.

With the unknown status of Julie I would probably order from SOR.

I got lucky and found a top of unknown make on FB marketplace and got bows from Real Steel. Be forewarned that if you have "regular" hard top doors you will have to modify the Real Steel B-pillars to work.

With the unknown status of Julie I would probably order from SOR.
I have read this about the hardtop doors. I am a little worried as I do have early style doors that are different than most on the window frame part. (earlier bug catcher style uppers) Ill post a picture of the doors later. However the soft top door pillars look similar to the part on the hard top I have.

Thanks for the input.

There is the "TROA" top and bows. It seems like their bows work with hard doors based on the pictures. Can anyone confirm that?

There is the "TROA" top and bows. It seems like their bows work with hard doors based on the pictures. Can anyone confirm that?
I ran across them. Was unsure about them but if people have had good experiences maybe this is the way to go. They are probably the same tops relik garage has? seems like it anyway.

I ran across them. Was unsure about them but if people have had good experiences maybe this is the way to go. They are probably the same tops relik garage has? seems like it anyway.
They seem like most tops/bows in that there was still finessing needed for a good fit. @TRAIL TAILOR has a TROA top on the way and mentioned he may become a dealer. I am definitely curious to read his opinion on the top.

Here is the thread about TROA top and bows.

The doors fit fine to the b-pillar. I don't get a good seal on the door bows because it's not built quite the same as an OEM bow would've been. My other observation is that the 1" straps and d-rings are not great on the TROA top. The straps are not very rigid and the shorter lenght allows them to back off as you're driving leaving a window to flap in the wind. The top did arrive quickly and it's pretty good. There aren't many options for a 43 anyway.
IMG_2430.JPEG
IMG_2440.JPEG

The TROA top is the same one sold by Relik garage.
I emailed them to see if the B pillar has the same slight bend in bottom to top as the hard doors and was told that they do.
Cant beat the price for the one TROA has on eBay…which includes the top, the bows (unfinished), rear half barn doors with hinges( unfinished),
Can be configured with roll up rear window or to match the Barn doors. $2600

I emailed them to see if the B pillar has the same slight bend in bottom to top as the hard doors and was told that they do.
Cant beat the price for the one TROA has on eBay…which includes the top, the bows (unfinished), rear half barn doors with hinges( unfinished),
I didn't realize it comes with barn doors. The way it looked to me you can order with ambulance doors or with roll up window for barn doors. If you can get it with barn doors included that's pretty solid. I had to spend extra to derust and straighten my set of barn doors. The frame is powder coated black. I wound up painting the b-pillar and door bows body color and left the rest black.

If you get one I’m gonna have to check it out😁

Nice thats what I thought! I think I am going to pull the trigger on the TROA top here in a few weeks. Yeah I think the price is great! I just didnt know what everyone thought of with the quality. They seem like of decent quality.
I also used the make an offer feature on eBay and got a discount equivalent to the shipping cost. Just an FYI that it's worth bargaining.
I may try that as well.
Here is the thread about TROA top and bows.

The doors fit fine to the b-pillar. I don't get a good seal on the door bows because it's not built quite the same as an OEM bow would've been. My other observation is that the 1" straps and d-rings are not great on the TROA top. The straps are not very rigid and the shorter lenght allows them to back off as you're driving leaving a window to flap in the wind. The top did arrive quickly and it's pretty good. There aren't many options for a 43 anyway.View attachment 3317836View attachment 3317837
yeah I dont think I have seen a fj43 soft top for sale by many other people. good to know about the straps on the top.

Here’s the add. I might have made a mistake. It is a bit unclear. You could email them. It says new half ambulance doors with upper frame.

@thatcabledude …..it’s happening soon.
@whisky …good to know…in the email I received they said the bows were not powder coated

Here’s the add. I might have made a mistake. It is a bit unclear. You could email them. It says new half ambulance doors with upper frame.

@thatcabledude …..it’s happening soon.
@whisky …good to know…in the email I received they said the bows were not powder coated
I have seen this add on ebay. I emailed TROA yesterday to get a quote directly from them. I also emailed Relik Garage to see if it comes with the windsheild channel for the soft top and they said it did.

Does anyone know if these tops come with the little eyelit things for the tub portion of the top? I have seen a few tops that use magnets.

Thanks

Just for added info, I emailed TROA a few weeks ago asking if they'd do custom lengths of tops, as in for an extended cab 45 sort of deal, and they did say that they would if I provided lots of pictures and measurements.

That's as far as I got as I haven't even started building the bows/frame yet. Haven't decided if I'll go that way or build a top myself.

Troa tops always look kinda loose, but I've never seen one in person.

Relik didn't return my emails. :meh:

Last edited:
TROA was always responsive to communications. I think if you wanted to ask for custom details, like longer straps for the windows, they would accommodate.

Just for added info, I emailed TROA a few weeks ago asking if they'd do custom lengths of tops, as in for an extended cab 45 sort of deal, and they did say that they would if I provided lots of pictures and measurements.

That's as far as I got as I haven't even started building the bows/frame yet. Haven't decided if I'll go that way or build a top myself.

Troa tops always look kinda loose, but I've never seen one in person.

Relik didn't return my emails. :meh:
Yeah relik was a very short reply. " yes it comes with that." also it was replied by cell phone... I can see how communication would not be great with them. Yeah I noticed the loose ness.. I kinda hope some of that slop I have seen is user error. or it can be tightned up. I know the top bart of the bows have to be tacked in the b pillar for adjustment so maybe thats part off it.

where on this photo does the welding have to be done?
74884DB3-EE92-45E1-9F92-D2DDBFA410EE.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom