SOA with stock steering options.......

I know.......I should convert to power but for the next month or so, it is not an option. So, is there a drop pitman available for a '69 stock frontend?

JJS

You would at least need a cross-over arm or high-steer arms. I don't think anyone manufactures the ghetto Z-link for an FJ like a Scout, Jeep, etc., and that's a good thing.

LT

W at Over The Hill 4x4 will bend your factory arms into the hysteer position leaving you with all your stock steering components. Number of the Cascade Cruiser guys have ran them, I have, and Mark has. No failures as of yet.

Since some appear to be saying this is a safety issue, can you go into more detail of the problem?

LT indicates on the other hand this is not an issue.

I wouldn't mind doing a SOA some day, but I have no plans to run power steering.

If you are not going to go PS, don't drive anybody's rig who has it, I used to say I didn't need power steering either, now I wouldn't be without it. Did a trip once (11 days @ 10-13 hours/day to go 140 miles) and of the 3 drivers with manual steering I was the only one not to have permanent shoulder problems after trip, now 25 years later I have shoulder problems but after all that time mine may not be related?

My 2 cents.... I searched hi and low for a drop pitman arm for a different reason( not SOA)..... I am convince no such animal exists. Anyway back to the topic at hand, listen to these boys and save your money and do it right...

:beer:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
Website
www.cruiseroutfitters.com
couldn't you use this method with stock steering

http://www.aqualu.com/landcruiser/details.asp?Id=56

That is the afore mentioned "crossover" arm... aka double steering arm. Pretty archaic considering the low cost of actual high steer setups these days.

If your budget is really in a crunch, go with the OTH4x4 bent arms... we ran them on our budget 55 SOA project, never had an issue... its still on the road/trail as we speak :cool:

The "z" link should never be an option IMHO ;)

couldn't you use this method with stock steering

http://www.aqualu.com/landcruiser/details.asp?Id=56

Yes. Pretty popular solution years ago but leaves the stock tierod under the spring and exposed to trail damage. The stock tirrod is also much weaker than the typical DOM tubing used in a high steer solution. Today, seems like almost no one uses the double arm solution anymore. I'd guess because for about the same price, you can get a complete high steer setup which is stronger and mounts above the springs and out of the way of most trail damage.

What most are suggesting is that you build it once rather than twice.

i dont think he'll have to worry about trail damage, i would worry about muscle damage if i was not ps and running hard trails. that wheel will bust up your thumbs and fingers easily when you bump a solid object and the wheel spins on you

Website
www.facebook.com
Most folks up here run the double knuckle arm approach. I don't know of anyone who has damaged a tie rod in our environment. No because of it's remaining in the stock location.

Simple to cut the stock tierod and slip the ends into some 1 inch schedule 40 pipe. Makes for a BEEFY tierod.

Not flashy, but cheap and stout.

There is no such thing as a dropped drag link for a stock FJ40 steering system. The pitman arm is connected to the steering box and swings in a vertical arc. It is located behin the tire and connects to a drag link that connects to the center arm. The center arm converts the fore/aft motino of the drag link into side to side motion and then connects to the rely rod. Nowhere to "drop" the pittman arm to.

Mark...

i did mine the dumb way have disc brakes so i used a toyota pickup arm and relayrod . hooked it to the stock steering box been going strong for about 15 years cheap too.have been running manual steering for 36 years with soa and 38s summer and 35s winter. i cant do photos to mudd cant figure it out but can to email good luck

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Call me old fashion. I don't care. Worked for me. Never had a problem with it. Drove it without PS for over a year before I decided 35" tires and manual steering are not the way to go.

IMG_4014.jpg

I got a good deal on some hysteer arms so they will be going on soon. I'll be selling the aquala after that. It still should fech around 150 even for OLD technology.

JJS

As people have said before, if you have manual PS, you're better off with pizza cutter tires. Q78's come to mind. If you're set on wider ones, you might build up some MLB caliber forearms.

If you are not going to go PS, don't drive anybody's rig who has it, I used to say I didn't need power steering either, now I wouldn't be without it. Did a trip once (11 days @ 10-13 hours/day to go 140 miles) and of the 3 drivers with manual steering I was the only one not to have permanent shoulder problems after trip, now 25 years later I have shoulder problems but after all that time mine may not be related?

I've wheeled mine with no problems with steering effort. I don't see how, but does a SOA increase the steering effort?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom